Wed Jan 23
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local
09:00 GMT 4th ODI - India v England
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamsala

Sun Jan 27
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local
09:00 GMT 5th ODI - India v England
Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh

England Test squad for India: Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Nick Compton (Somerset), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Graham Onions (Durham), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Monty Panesar (Sussex), Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire), Matt Prior (Sussex, wk), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire).

England Performance Programme squad: Jos Buttler (Somerset), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Scott Borthwick (Durham), Danny Briggs (Hampshire), Varun Chopra (Warwickshire), Matthew Coles (Kent), Jade Dernbach (Surrey), Ben Foakes (Essex), James Harris (Glamorgan), Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire), Craig Kieswetter (Somerset), Stuart Meaker (Surrey), Azeem Rafiq (Yorkshire), Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), Chris Wright (Warwickshire).

This is a seriously long tour! What with the World T20 they'll basically be in the subcontinent for nearly 5 months. Maybe they'll even learn how to play spin.

----------

Moving this post from the openers thread:

Compton and Root are both on the plane. No place for Chopra.

No place for Taylor either. Bit unlucky imo. Exciting squad here and great experience to do an Indian tour at the start of their careers.
We know Compton can bat on flat tracks so I reckon he'll be in for the first test.
Suspect the following:
Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Compton
Bairstow

Can't believe Morgan will be given another chance ahead of Compton or Bairstow.

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not too surprised Bairstow is in but Taylor isn't, Taylor looked a bit vulnerable and sometimes it is worse to survive longer and look out of your depth than get exposed once and be back in the pavillion.

Had to laugh at the BBC piece putting "left arm spinners" Monty and Samit in the same bracket. Not too surprised KP is left out, ECB had to take a firm stance. I am very surprised that Morgan is back in.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
There's a wonderful KP statement on being left out. It's all in the third person and sounds like it was written by the KP Genius account.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Other than the obvious revenge/rigid decision to leave KP out and axing James Taylor for no clear cut reason. I would say not picking Chris Woakes is a slight blunder.

Just in case England wanted to pick 5-bowlers, i'd say Woakes is best option to bat @ 7 and be the 3rd seamer.

However with India's batting in transition - i think England have the fast-bowlers to take 20 wickets in India. After all lets not forget historically as was shown with the windies 83/84, s africa 1999/00 and australia 2004 - its pace that wins you series in india, since they became a force at home.

But without KP i'm not sure if England batsmen as group will be able to dominate India's spinners enough.

Looking forward to the Kolkotta test though, my favourite test venue ever. Hopefully the traditional 100,000 noisy India fans are present at some day of that test.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Not 100,000 anymore, sadly. It's come down to like 60-65,000, I think.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Not 100,000 anymore, sadly. It's come down to like 60-65,000, I think.

You serious??..How could they do that to such a historic venue!:noway

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Same reason the Maracana et al are all half the size these days. Safety.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Due to renovation for the WC last year, I think the capacity was reduced. Not sure about the real reason though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Due to renovation for the WC last year, I think the capacity was reduced. Not sure about the real reason though.

I see, i dont even follow IPL much so i didn't realize it was reduced.

Damn what a disappointment for the true Colosseum stadium of world cricket. Reducing the unique size of Eden is like getting rid of the famous lords and SCG pavillion's.

So that sorta of means that South Africa vs India, Kolkatta test of 2010 was technically the last time that ground was at it historic true capacity.

----------

Same reason the Maracana et al are all half the size these days. Safety.

Ha well yea. But in a way the Maracana had to be reduced. Didn't they at one point in history hold like almost 200,000 fans?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Can't believe Morgan will be given another chance ahead of Compton or Bairstow.

I think with KP's absence, Morgan is seen by the selectors as the batsman who can probably play aggressively vs the Indian spinners and hit them off their lengths.

Plus he has experience of playing tests in the sub-continent which a young talented Bairstow for eg doesn't.

The rest of the likely top six is full of accumulators who could get tied down by the Indian spinners, if they get stuck.

Epic

Panel of Selectors

Did not know about this, wow.

----------

Ha well yea. But in a way the Maracana had to be reduced. Didn't they at one point in history hold like almost 200,000 fans?

That's ridiculous, imagine the atmosphere, 200k people screaming and cheering you along, damn. Did some Googling, the record attendance at Maracana is 199,854, 1950 World Cup final.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I see, i dont even follow IPL much so i didn't realize it was reduced.

Damn what a disappointment for the true Colosseum stadium of world cricket. Reducing the unique size of Eden is like getting rid of the famous lords and SCG pavillion's.

So that sorta of means that South Africa vs India, Kolkatta test of 2010 was technically the last time that ground was at it historic true capacity.

----------

Yeah. The stadium had to be redeveloped for the World Cup and now as with any International stadium, the Eden has bucket seats which means fewer people can be crammed in as compared to the concrete stands where a lot more can be accommodated. Yes, a real pity that the capacity got so significantly reduced. However, it still will remain a Colosseum. 65k fans is still more than what most major stadia in teh world would fill up. You will see good crowds for the India-England tests, definitely so in Mumbai and Kolkata which are India`s equivalent of the SCG and the MCG. Even with a low profile off-season India-NZ tests we got crowds on the upwards of 20k on most days in Bangalore and Hyderabad. The atmosphere will be great, more so in Kolkata and Mumbai.

The last time we might have had a 1 lakh capacity crowd at Eden might have been the India-Pakistan test match of 2007 I guess. Even during the SA test of 2010, a couple of huge stands were down for the World Cup redevelopment work.

S

Satan666

That's ridiculous, imagine the atmosphere, 200k people screaming and cheering you along, damn. Did some Googling, the record attendance at Maracana is 199,854, 1950 World Cup final.

Thanks for the info there Epic that certainly is alot of fans.

Five month tour, good for cricket I hope India can put up a stern fight against probably the strongest English team in the last three decades!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ahmedabad and Nagpur shouldn't be hosting test matches. Only the top tier cities should be hosting them. Don't know when our board will understand how to properly allot venues for test cricket in order for it to do well in India. The Mumbai and Kolkata tests should be awesome.

JD10

International Cricketer
Cook
Root
Trott
Bell
Compton
Bairstow
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn ?

I suspect Finn for rare pace to bounce out the likes of Raina and Pujara maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread