England in New Zealand

Collingwood has not gotten a test average of 40+ from 'a few good innings' and you're very naive and know incredibly little if you believe that. He's our rock in the middle order, our natural replacement to Graham Thorpe, neither of them look that pretty, but they work hard, stick around and graft out runs. It's a job we need done and he does it to a tee.

I also don't see how you think we have suffered from losing Tresco, considering Cook's come in and done as good as job statistically, I believe as Tresco, so it blows that theory out of the water. We've just suffered from having a very balanced side at one point but has since moved on with players becoming long term injury cases and some losing form. It's natural progression, they just need time.

I don't get this feeling that if Flintoff is fit he should walk back into the side. His batting hasn't been good enough in the last 2 years or so to bat in the top 6.

Cooks a much, much better batsman than Trescothick, technically. On a swinging pitch Tresco can get himself into trouble, even when settled due to his lack of foot movement. I think that he's done amazingly well considering that pretty major technical flaw, i'd still prefer Cook and Strauss in test cricket though. Marcus could definetly do a job in odi cricket though, we still havent found a pinch hitter at the top of the order, well one that can do it consistently anyway.

Hey guys, I'm actually quite the England fan when they aren't playing the Aussies. But a few questions:
Why was Panesar dropped from the ODI squad?
Why was Prior dropped from the test squad?
Where is Trescothick?
Is Jones still injured?/When is he coming back?
I thought England had other keepers to pick such as Nixon, Read, or the youngsters Mustard and Davies?

Anywho the XI for tests:
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan (c)
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Paul Collingwood
Tim Ambrose (wk)
Ryan Sidebottom
Matthew Hoggard
Stephen Harmison
Monty Panesar

Great variety in this bowling attack although if Harmison goes back to Ashes 06/07 form then probably replace with Broad.

PS. Forgive me if I have offended anyone with my lack of knowledge lol

Why was Panesar dropped from the ODI squad? He's not an odi bowler, doesn't flight the ball enough, is far too inexperienced in one day cricket, needs to play more county one day games.
Why was Prior dropped from the test squad? Dropped catches, and inconsistent batting. I dont agree with the decision, but the evidence to drop him was there, i just think it was bit premature.
Where is Trescothick? Still not fit to play international cricket apparently, i dont think he'll play test match cricket again.
Is Jones still injured?/When is he coming back? I dont think Jones will be back for England either, seems very injury prone, but has switched counties and that may help him.
I thought England had other keepers to pick such as Nixon, Read, or the youngsters Mustard and Davies? Nixon's too old, Read cant bat, Mustard isnt ready for Test Cricket, nor is Davies. Ambrose is the best choice imo, except maybe for James Foster.

Trescothick would walk into this team if he ever came back, we desperately need him to get on top of opposition attacks early in the innings which we would never do, Cook would drop down to 3 if he came back. All throughout Australia we let their bowlers build up the pressure and it was inevitable they got a wicket, it's no coincidence that Strauss's bad run has come whilst Trescothicks been out of the side. He's our Hayden, not quite in the same class but he's still great, and in ODI's he's one of the best batsmen in the world. I doubt he'll ever play for us again but I'd love it if he did.

Monty won't ever be an ODI bowler I reckon, not because he isn't suited to it or he hasn't got the skills but because he just hasn't played enough cricket and won't get the chance to being with England.

Going off Bangladesh's 150 partnership for the loss of 0 wickets it's got me believing we might win a test now. Hopefully KP will come back to form, stop getting all the good balls, not have any dodgy umpiring and Ian Bell will continue his brilliance at 6.

Cooks a much, much better batsman than Trescothick, technically. On a swinging pitch Tresco can get himself into trouble, even when settled due to his lack of foot movement. I think that he's done amazingly well considering that pretty major technical flaw, i'd still prefer Cook and Strauss in test cricket though. Marcus could definetly do a job in odi cricket though, we still havent found a pinch hitter at the top of the order, well one that can do it consistently anyway.

I completely disagree that Cook is a much better batsmen than Trescothick. Trescothick has proven himself all over the world and has produced some terrific knocks under pressure. He deals with the swinging ball by playing the ball late with great reflexes.
Cook, despite a very good start to his Test career isn't in the same class as of yet.

Last edited:
Trescothick would walk into this team if he ever came back, we desperately need him to get on top of opposition attacks early in the innings which we would never do, Cook would drop down to 3 if he came back. All throughout Australia we let their bowlers build up the pressure and it was inevitable they got a wicket, it's no coincidence that Strauss's bad run has come whilst Trescothicks been out of the side. He's our Hayden, not quite in the same class but he's still great, and in ODI's he's one of the best batsmen in the world. I doubt he'll ever play for us again but I'd love it if he did.

The bold bit, just no. If Hayden played most of his cricket in English conditions and Trescothick played his on the flat tracks in Australia, I'd bet their averages would be the other way around. Trescothick is a fantastic player, sure he sometimes struggles early, but that hasn't stopped Ponting being probably the best batsman in the world in recent years.

I don't think Trescothick could dominate a world cup like Hayden could, maybe if he was playing in a succesful Australian side and was full of confidence but certainly in recent times Haydens stepped it up a bit and is one of, if not the best batsmen in the world.

Andrew Strauss is all set to return to the English squad after Ravi Bopara failed miserably in Sri Lanka.

Why was Panesar dropped from the ODI squad? He's not an odi bowler, doesn't flight the ball enough, is far too inexperienced in one day cricket, needs to play more county one day games.
Why was Prior dropped from the test squad? Dropped catches, and inconsistent batting. I dont agree with the decision, but the evidence to drop him was there, i just think it was bit premature.
Where is Trescothick? Still not fit to play international cricket apparently, i dont think he'll play test match cricket again.
Is Jones still injured?/When is he coming back? I dont think Jones will be back for England either, seems very injury prone, but has switched counties and that may help him.
I thought England had other keepers to pick such as Nixon, Read, or the youngsters Mustard and Davies? Nixon's too old, Read cant bat, Mustard isnt ready for Test Cricket, nor is Davies. Ambrose is the best choice imo, except maybe for James Foster.

Nixon and Read have played in the ICL so won't play for England again.

Inconsistent batting?

He averages 40 in Test cricket, you can't ask more for that from a batting perspective for our keeper.

Inconsistent batting?

He averages 40 in Test cricket, you can't ask more for that from a batting perspective for our keeper.

That is no consolidation for dropped catches thought is it? I agree his batting had been good but the primary job for a keeper is to take 90-95% of their catches and Prior has probably taken 70 odd.

The perfect example of a keeper that does what he should would be Mark Boucher. He takes 90-95% of chances and averages 30 with the bat, in which, he makes 50 when he can and perhaps the occasional hundred. That is what all keepers should aim to do at test level instead of trying to be Adam Gilchrist all the time.

Mustard is not quite a test cricketer as of yet but he can still do a job in ODI's. It was quite impossible in the Sri Lankan conditions to play the way he plays in November since the conditions were alien to everyone since there is not much cricket played at that time of year very often. New Zealand will be quite encouraging for him since the ball comes on to the bat and the boundaries are very small. I would judge him after the New Zealand series and if he fails then fair enough, it should be Ambrose instead.
Ambrose should still keep in the tests though, fine wicket keeper regarded by everyone who has seen him and has been great for Warwickshire with the bat this year averaging 45 in the County Championship.

Davies cannot be far behind though since despite a poor season regarding the Worcester ground flooded, Davies is a fine keeper and equally good batsmen that could easily do the job.

Have the ECB said they'll ban anyone who plays in ICL now? Because Last I read they hadn't.

They haven't but Gravney said it was a factor as to why Chris Read wasn't considered.

They haven't but Gravney said it was a factor as to why Chris Read wasn't considered.

His inconsistency with the bat and the fact his batting career hasn't got going really is the reason he isn't considered although he's easily the best keeper in the country. The management has given up on Read since he has had about 3 chances.

Users who are viewing this thread