England in New Zealand

Hmmm, I fancy Franklin to give Strauss all sorts of nightmares. Just like every other left arm seamer in world cricket has done to him. Let's hop not though!

I'm looking forward to this tour. We haven't been touring in New Zealand since the days of Caddick, Thorpe and a Fintoff who wasn't dead!

I've come up with a foolproof fitness plan for Simon Jones and Freddie that will see them in the form of their life in the ashes in England. We keep them in a cage, in it there is only a cricket bat, ball and stumps. Then we show them videos of Australians talking crap about their familys every day (might have to be edited). We feed them raw meat and watch them become the animals ready to destroy Australia. Guaranteed to work.

Anyway on topic Who's staying up? For the first time in ages I'm not, partly because my GCSE's are coming soonish and it screws up my sleeping bad and partly because I don't really have any respect left for our team.

Well the tests will start around 9PM our time so I'll get to see first session, rest will be highlights though.

And welcome to the forums JoséPedro, always good to have Kiwi's on board.

bond is defo out as far as i have heard

Defiantly not. Bond returns to play for Canterbury today in our Twenty/20 competition. I wouldn't rule him out. Infact, i'd be more surprised if he wasn't in the squad. he's back playing, just needs some deliveries under his belt which he should get in time.

As far as the ICL goes, he hasn't played in it yet and is still under contract to NZ Cricket so he should still be available for selection. I know that he WANTS to play.

And I agree with Jose and evertonfan. England shouldn't underestimate the NZ bowling attack, even without Bond. Chris Martin is in the form of his life and is very difficult for Right handers to play with the ball sharply moving in and harder for left handers with the ball moving away from the bat. Plus in NZ conditions we won't be cannon fodder. I think the pitches will be good for batting though, but as always should swing which is where Hoggard and Sidebottom will be really dangerous.

Franklin was our best swing bowler and his batting has become really good in the last few years, so it's a shame we won't have him back just yet. He's become one of my favorite players. Hopefully his recovery goes well and we have him for England.

And yeah, welcome Jose :) Nice to have another fellow kiwi here.

Yeah, he played for Wellington after the ODI where he had that shoulder thing, took like 3/30 in his first 4 overs and had to go off with the shoulder injury.

I wonder when the NZ squads are being named for this tour. It will be REALLY interesting. I really think we needed to give Adams a go against Bangladesh because we may need him against England.

Nz will take out the 20/Twentys, Adams needs to reconcider turning down the selectors, he is a gem for Auckland in a 20/Twenty he needed 12 off 1 ball and got it, no-ball 4, (free hit)6, 4. Also recently with the ball. England will clean sweep in the tests but NZ will have the ODIs and 20/Twentys.

I agree with what the others have said about the Kiwi attack, Martin and Vettori should not be underestimated, if Bond plays that's an advantage. I think the series is going to be really close.

It seems Bond didn't go too well in his return to Canterbury in their twenty20 loss to Central Districts. He bowled four overs with figures of 0-38. Will be interesting to watch him play against Otago tomorrow.

gotta say ill have mixed feeling if bond playes, obviously its good to see him as he is a very good bowler, but i also want to see england win and i dont fancy cooks chances against him. im also looking forward to seeing how much oram bowles

The way he performed (in the first test) against Bangladesh, I'm sure you'll see plenty of overs from Oram.

He's one of those players who is always in & out of the squad. When choosing the test teams against Bangladesh, they were deciding whether to use Michael Mason or Iain O'Brien, and O'Brien got chosen ahead of Mason in both tests, putting Mason at 12th man. He is kind of useful to have really. Whenever we are struggling to send out our best bowling attack, we turn to him. One can't help but to think he deserves a little more though.

Users who are viewing this thread