England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think the only conclusions you can draw is the top 4/5 teams are all very close and have their own strengths and weaknessesand there is no clear best team in the world. It doesn't help that we spent many years with Australia being the best team in the world by some distance, so people draw a conclusion with that.

I completely disagree with some who think that this situation is bad for Test cricket, the standard is still very good, exceptional in cases and cricket has changed in the last few years. Much rather have several teams at the same level than one team well beyond anyone else.

Good to see the bold being finally accepted by the PC fraternity. Fact is their has no been no clear best team in the world since the end of the dominant Australian era during the 2006/07 ashes.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Quite right, but that is different to saying that no team deserves to be #1 on the rankings :D Because by definition a team HAS to be #1, no matter how ugly or flawed they are. Anyway...we've been through all that :yes Certainly agree that it's hard to stay at #1 these days because all the teams have flaws. Whether that's because of weaknesses or because the competition is stronger than it appeared a few years back, well who knows...

As it stands, this is now going to be a big summer, as England must beat South Africa at home to show that they're not going to India looking to prove they're the number 2 test side in world cricket.

Well the one thing I DONT want is England to go down hard in India, India somehow gets back #1 as a result, and proclaim they were worthy #1s after all...that would be a bit sad :p Don't know if it's possible, as the rankings stand though.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Good to see the bold being finally accepted by the PC fraternity. Fact is their has no been no clear best team in the world since the end of the dominant Australian era during the 2006/07 ashes.

true. But you can work that out by looking at the ranking points next to the positions. there is not much wiggle room between the top teams..

Users who are viewing this thread