Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
It's not a fitness problem though. Hes made hundreds in the past, and a few big ones in FC cricket, it's a mental issue. 14 months without a hundred is not good enough. I think it's time he goes back to County Cricket and learns to score hundreds again as this has developed into a real problem!

A statistic to prove the point about Cook - since his last international century, against Sri Lanka in Galle in December 2007, he has made 11 half centuries.

It's not a fitness problem though. Hes made hundreds in the past, and a few big ones in FC cricket, it's a mental issue. 14 months without a hundred is not good enough. I think it's time he goes back to County Cricket and learns to score hundreds again as this has developed into a real problem!
Well improved fitness can make it a hell of a lot easier to do it. I agree that it's mental though, I would make him play more positively. The frustrating thing is you know he's 1 century away from being back to himself and playing really well. Today he easily could have survived that delivery though, he was never really in trouble once, but Strauss has had 3 or 4 dangerous moment and gets off free. What happens when you're out of form I suppose.

I think he'd benefit from some one day cricket too help him get a bit more agressive. Is the tour game still going ahead or not because a century in that could help.

I think it's time to give someone else a go. Opening batsmen need to score hundreds, and Cooks not doing that. Time for someone like Key or Denly or even Horton. Someone that can make hundreds. Or even stick Bell up there, he's got the best technique in England, and he'll be well settled before the spinner comes on. Could work I reckon!

Thank god you're not a selector. Bell is terrible at number 3 let alone opening. Cook is 1 century away from being back in form and it's a problem which can be sorted. Bell just isn't cut out for international cricket, there is no 1 issue with him, he just doesn't have the bottle for it.

I think it's time to give someone else a go. Opening batsmen need to score hundreds, and Cooks not doing that. Time for someone like Key or Denly or even Horton. Someone that can make hundreds. Or even stick Bell up there, he's got the best technique in England, and he'll be well settled before the spinner comes on. Could work I reckon!

Sorry but that is awful. As long as the guy is getting 50s then there is no need to drop him. He's vice captain and the runs will come aslong as he's getting us a start I dont see a problem. Bring Key into the team is certainly not the solution and that idea is starting to frustrate me now.

Bell's been England's 3rd most successful batsman in the past 18 months after Strauss and Pietersen. I don't see how people claim he's not cut out for International cricket. He's got a very decent record and has just got into a rough spell. He's ironed out the technical issues that plagued him last summer, and he's just gotta get over the mental issues which will come from scoring runs in County Cricket. He has to play in the Ashes, he averages 65 in England's first innings at home, and those are runs we're going to struggle without.

Michael Vaughan was successful opening the batting, and he and Bell are very similar players, Bell's probably better technically than Vaughan. I think Bell could do a fantastic job at the top of the order. He'd thrive on the quicks trying to get early swing by pitching it up and could get us off to a fantastic start alongside Strauss. He also scores hundreds, his 199 against South Africa is proof of that, was a fantastic innings against one of the best attacks in the world. I'd give him a go, could be a revelation, Simon Katich-esque.

Strauss has played beautifully, had abit of luck, but it's as good as I've seen him play for a long long time. He's been very negative with his batting for a while, putting alot of his strokes away, but this innings has been vintage 2004/5 Strauss. Really good signs coming up to the Ashes. Hope he makes a big hundred!

Thank god you're not a selector. Bell is terrible at number 3 let alone opening. Cook is 1 century away from being back in form and it's a problem which can be sorted. Bell just isn't cut out for international cricket, there is no 1 issue with him, he just doesn't have the bottle for it.

I'm with you there.

How can you denounce Cook for mental problems then trumpet Bell who has more mental issues than Chief Bromden. The only reason Bell doesn't get 50 and outs is becuase he crumbles well before getting to 50.

Century for Strauss. Fine innings and a good time to do it.

Bell's been England's 3rd most successful batsman in the past 18 months after Strauss and Pietersen. I don't see how people claim he's not cut out for International cricket. He's got a very decent record and has just got into a rough spell. He's ironed out the technical issues that plagued him last summer, and he's just gotta get over the mental issues which will come from scoring runs in County Cricket. He has to play in the Ashes, he averages 65 in England's first innings at home, and those are runs we're going to struggle without.

Michael Vaughan was successful opening the batting, and he and Bell are very similar players, Bell's probably better technically than Vaughan. I think Bell could do a fantastic job at the top of the order. He'd thrive on the quicks trying to get early swing by pitching it up and could get us off to a fantastic start alongside Strauss. He also scores hundreds, his 199 against South Africa is proof of that, was a fantastic innings against one of the best attacks in the world. I'd give him a go, could be a revelation, Simon Katich-esque.

Strauss has played beautifully, had abit of luck, but it's as good as I've seen him play for a long long time. He's been very negative with his batting for a while, putting alot of his strokes away, but this innings has been vintage 2004/5 Strauss. Really good signs coming up to the Ashes. Hope he makes a big hundred!

Said it before and I'll say it again, you can have the best technique in the world but if you're not in to show it off then its useless. He's averaged something around 19 since his 199 tell me that this is just a bad spell? He's the new Ramprakash.

This is why Shah should be in the team has looked very good and that was a beautiful shot.
Nah Bell shouldn't be in the team he just hasn't progressed enough and has failed big time for a while now.
They should keep going with Cook he's averaging above 30 and this is him in poor form which is more than handy for someone who's out of form.

This ground looks very dark. Maybe it's just the cameras. Anyway great knock by Strauss, ever since he was dropped and played a bit of cricket in New Zealand he has been great.

Users who are viewing this thread