England Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Think Malan needs to be in the top six for the World Cup done far more than a lot of other players and has taken the chances when he's had them.
I do agree, but also struggle to see where he fits in a full-strength team (which is madness given how good he is)

I would pick him, but I'm not an England selector:
  1. :eng: :bat: Jonny Bairstow or Jason Roy
  2. :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan
  3. :eng: :bat: Joe Root
  4. :eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
  5. :eng: :bat: Harry Brook or Jonny Bairstow
  6. :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
  7. :eng: :ar: Moeen Ali
  8. :eng: :ar: Sam Curran
  9. :eng: :bwl: Adil Rashid
  10. :eng: :bwl: Jofra Archer
  11. :eng: :bwl: Reece Topley or Olly Stone
That'd be my first XI. If Bairstow is fully fit then it's between Roy and Brook to make the XI.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I do agree, but also struggle to see where he fits in a full-strength team (which is madness given how good he is)

I would pick him, but I'm not an England selector:
  1. :eng: :bat: Jonny Bairstow or Jason Roy
  2. :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan
  3. :eng: :bat: Joe Root
  4. :eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
  5. :eng: :bat: Harry Brook or Jonny Bairstow
  6. :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
  7. :eng: :ar: Moeen Ali
  8. :eng: :ar: Sam Curran
  9. :eng: :bwl: Adil Rashid
  10. :eng: :bwl: Jofra Archer
  11. :eng: :bwl: Reece Topley or Olly Stone
That'd be my first XI. If Bairstow is fully fit then it's between Roy and Brook to make the XI.
I'd have him at 4 in the 'Morgan' role.

Bairstow
Roy
Root
Malan
Buttler
Livingstone/Brook/Mooen/Stokes
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Archer
Rashid

If Roy's form disappears again there's always an option for Malan opener and Brook at 4 or Will Jacks with some off spin.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Honestly I feel like the "Morgan role" is a waste of a player when Jos Buttler plays so well when he gets in a bit earlier. He averages 73 at 166 batting at four, and even though today's innings was from five, he came to the crease very early on

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
even though today's innings was from five, he came to the crease very early on
That makes me think, wouldn't it make more sense for players' averages to be classified by entry point, rather than position?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Honestly I feel like the "Morgan role" is a waste of a player when Jos Buttler plays so well when he gets in a bit earlier. He averages 73 at 166 batting at four, and even though today's innings was from five, he came to the crease very early on
He's not batted at 4 since he became permanent captain. When he has batted at 4 he's only come in before the half way of an innings 4 out of 13 times. One was rain reduced and he got a duck, one against Netherlands after Morgan had picked up an injury. I don't think it'd be a bad idea at 4 but I think you are losing a player who will come in to dominate the second-half of an innings, he's so good at going through the gears which is why he works well as an opener in T20.

Like @CerealKiller says, with Buttler, it's a case of when not where he bats. He was usually carded to come in at six but would move up after England start so well.

Malan has really only had a run as understudy, filling gaps because of injuries but he's averaging 53.66 at 97.57 and a century every 3 innings. England basically lost two very consistent left-handers in the middle order and unless Duckett pops off in Bangladesh I can't really see anyone challenging him.

It really comes down to whether or not Stokes decides he wants to play cause it changes the balance of the team a lot. They could play one less seamer with Moeen, Dawson or maybe Rehan at 7-9.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda

Bairstow
Roy
Root
Malan
Buttler
Livingstone/Brook/Mooen/Stokes
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Archer
Rashid

If Roy's form disappears again there's always an option for Malan opener and Brook at 4 or Will Jacks with some off spin.
Not sure about Woakes in India. Why not play both Livi and Moeen instead of him.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Every Brit I've talked to thinks his bowling is shockingly bad, which might be why
In ODI cricket he averages 236 in India and 60.47 overall in Asia.

Say Curran, Woakes, Moeen, Livingstone and Dawson all make the squad. That's enough flexibility in those players to rotate, as conditions require, at 7-9 between maybe five different options. Right arm seam, left arm seam, left arm spin, finger spin, right arm a bit of all spin.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The concern that England have is similar o what India faces. The replacements have come in and have done well. Do England stick with the replacements or go per 'reputation'?

Given how India has fared in the last 2-3 years, I am a fan of playing the men who are in form. Bairstow shouldn't simply walk into the XI based off his antics 2 years ago. Lot of talk of Stokes making a potential comeback. The English side doesnt need him, as they have managed to fill that gap to a large extent. The scenario isnt the same as ABD/ FAF returning for SA(potentially weaker without their presence)

Why not play both Livi and Moeen instead of him.

Agree! They will thrive in the conditions in India.

Users who are viewing this thread