England Team Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i think Ballance was very hard done by to have been dropped last year when Bell was retained, but equally i am a little surprised to see him brought back now when he has hardly set the world alight in FC this season. Would personally have gone Borthwick.

Don't know enough of Roland-Jones to comment.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I see Root has been confirmed at Number 3. Be interesting to see how he gets on if Pakistan can get one of the openers early, which you'd expect to happen a few times with their pace bowlers. I'm not against Ballance coming back in, as I always expected it at some stage, just thought they'd give Borthwick next crack. Although as someone said, Borthwick has just hit poor form as Ballance as hit the heights.

Surprised about Roland-Jones. I'm sure he's a good bowler, but he hasn't exactly been pulling up trees like Ball has been. I imagine that means Ball will play, but I'm surprised England didn't call up someone like Jamie Overton, who has been in top form so far this season and would benefit from a bit more experience of being around the squad, although obviously not making the final XI.

dp458

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
i think Ballance was very hard done by to have been dropped last year when Bell was retained, but equally i am a little surprised to see him brought back now when he has hardly set the world alight in FC this season. Would personally have gone Borthwick.

Don't know enough of Roland-Jones to comment.

Agreed but Bell had the long term track reccord against better attacks, and it wasnt like bell was 38 or something.
Borthwick for me should have come in, and when Jimmy and Stokes returned Borthwicks presence would have put Moeen under intense pressure for me, as no way will we prepare wickets that spin in england now Swann has gone, so Borthwick could bowl the overs that Ali did, and you could pick the extra seamer. Oh how i wish Jeetan Patel was english, robbed of a great internatinoal career by one D.Vetori

Roland-Jones is a good enough county bowler but whenever ive seen him at edgbaston over the years I havent been that impressed, he isnt quick even by county standards, and does just enough with it, I think Rushworth and Plunkett especially can feel slightly hard done by. He can hit the ball long with the bat, but i sincerely hope that hasnt played a part, with Woakes(FC avg 37 with 9 hundereds) at 8, you dont need the batting. Although there is no way Roland-Jones plays barring an injury

dp458

Club Captain
I see Root has been confirmed at Number 3. Be interesting to see how he gets on if Pakistan can get one of the openers early, which you'd expect to happen a few times with their pace bowlers. I'm not against Ballance coming back in, as I always expected it at some stage, just thought they'd give Borthwick next crack. Although as someone said, Borthwick has just hit poor form as Ballance as hit the heights.

Surprised about Roland-Jones. I'm sure he's a good bowler, but he hasn't exactly been pulling up trees like Ball has been. I imagine that means Ball will play, but I'm surprised England didn't call up someone like Jamie Overton, who has been in top form so far this season and would benefit from a bit more experience of being around the squad, although obviously not making the final XI.

Again im surprised by this as Root has ssaid he wants to bat 4, and i think the best bat should bat where they want, and thats why id have gone Borthwick, and thought even when ballnace was selected that he would slot back in at 3 like previously. The form arguement i said can be the only thing. I think the switch away from CC recently didnt help Borthwick, as he bats lower down for Durham in white ball and bowls a bit more, whilst conversly it helped GB as he freed up and sort of hit his way into form, cant remember the gme but he got like 80 off 50 or 60 in 50 over game, and since then has got some scores

Like i say abouve TRJ confuses me. if its a toss up take PLunkett or Rushworth, if its just an experience thing take a young player like JOverton or TCurran for example. Maybe the middlesex lords home ground thing played a part as only one test until stokes and jimmy are back

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Alastair Cook :c:
Alex Hales
Gary Ballance
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow
Ben Stokes :bwl:
Chris Woakes :bwl:
Lewis McManus :wk: (assuming his glovework is as good as the snippets I've seen)
Stuart Broad :bwl:
Simon Kerrigan :bwl:
James Anderson :bwl:

Thoughts?

dp458

Club Captain
Alastair Cook :c:
Alex Hales
Gary Ballance
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow
Ben Stokes :bwl:
Chris Woakes :bwl:
Lewis McManus :wk: (assuming his glovework is as good as the snippets I've seen)
Stuart Broad :bwl:
Simon Kerrigan :bwl:
James Anderson :bwl:

Thoughts?

Hales is showing his vulnerability to sideways movement, we still need a long term opener, Root is looking good at 3, so i take it back he shoudl stay there. Vince has to go. McManus im not sure about, maybe Foakes would be my choice, wouldnt play Kerrigan hasnt been great for Lancs. TBh at home id play Borthwick, and use him as the spinner. Holdreth would be next cab off the batting rank for me

Cook
Hales/Long Term replacement, I have no idea who
Root
Borthwick
Ballance
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Foakes
Broad
Anderson

youve still got 4 seamers there, and again you bat deep.

The issue is getting spinners into the side for INdia in the winter

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I said at the start of the summer that Duckett looked a good option to open the batting in Tests, but he's knocking that door down for ODIs too. Insane scores in that Lions series. Good to see Wood back and bowling too.

bigred

Club Captain
Hales is showing his vulnerability to sideways movement, we still need a long term opener, Root is looking good at 3, so i take it back he shoudl stay there. Vince has to go. McManus im not sure about, maybe Foakes would be my choice, wouldnt play Kerrigan hasnt been great for Lancs. TBh at home id play Borthwick, and use him as the spinner. Holdreth would be next cab off the batting rank for me

Cook
Hales/Long Term replacement, I have no idea who
Root
Borthwick
Ballance
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Foakes
Broad
Anderson

youve still got 4 seamers there, and again you bat deep.

The issue is getting spinners into the side for INdia in the winter

In India, we could go

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Root
4. Malan
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Woakes
8. Ali
9. Rashid
10. Broad
11. Anderson

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
I don't see Malan as being any better than Vince quite honestly and I think Borthwick deserves the chance more. I like Vince, he's an attractive player who scores at a decent clip, he's just finding daft ways to get out. If he has a long term future with England I reckon it's at 5.

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Borthwick
4. Root
5. Vince
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson

Backups Bell-Drummond or Duckett / Buttler / Rashid / Wood

bigred

Club Captain
Right, I've kept quiet for long enough. About 8 months ago, I was still supporting Ian Bell. I was full aware that he'd had a poor period, but I always felt that he was the right man in the team.

People on this forum got on my back and suggested I was mad for my loyal support of a man who'd had a bad year. However, my exact words were 'we should only replace him if there is better in county cricket.' Well clearly, there wasn't.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Right, I've kept quiet for long enough. About 8 months ago, I was still supporting Ian Bell. I was full aware that he'd had a poor period, but I always felt that he was the right man in the team.

People on this forum got on my back and suggested I was mad for my loyal support of a man who'd had a bad year. However, my exact words were 'we should only replace him if there is better in county cricket.' Well clearly, there wasn't.
Stokes in for Ballance, Borthwick in for Vince, and an opener in for Hales. That's all your batting issues solved.

bigred

Club Captain
Stokes in for Ballance, Borthwick in for Vince, and an opener in for Hales. That's all your batting issues solved.

Not really. Borthwick is no better than Vince. Why would we replace a batsmen with a seaming all rounder? We already have four seamers. No point in having 5.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Not really. Borthwick is no better than Vince. Why would we replace a batsmen with a seaming all rounder? We already have four seamers. No point in having 5.
I meant only for the Indian tour. England will have to play three spinners. And Stokes is a good enough batsman, i think.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
I meant only for the Indian tour. England will have to play three spinners. And Stokes is a good enough batsman, i think.

They can use Root as a spinner if they want he is not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread