England tour of Pakistan - 7 T20Is, 3 Tests

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Will Jacks has a FC bowling average of 53.
It's like England saw how Michael Bracewell did this summer, got confused and thought "we need one of those"

I guess the difference is that all of Will Jacks' fundamentals for bowling off-spin are absolutely top-drawer: he's got height, he pivots beautifully over his front leg, and he's got big hands so he can really rip it down the seam and get proper turn. Essentially there's no reason why, with just a year or two of work, he couldn't be one of England's best spinners. All that he really needs to do is to properly groove his stock ball and develop two pace/flight variations that he feels confident enough to go to regularly.

I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who went from never having bowled an off-break in anger to getting paid to bowl off-spin in the space of less than a year, so I know it can be done to a reasonable standard. Applying that logic to Test cricket is a gamble, but there's no reason that with enough support it can't be made to work.

Whether it should be made to work is another matter, as it shows a complete lack of confidence in the likes of Amar Virdi, Dan Moriarty and Liam Patterson-White - but Will Jacks is in the side now so he's the player I'm analysing.

The final thing that I'll say is that a lot of spinners, especially finger spinners, suffer from the perception that a wicket (for example) bowled through the gate has more value than a wicket caught at deep mid-wicket. They both count exactly the same, and there is an element of skill in forcing the batter to mis-hit you. If you can deliver a ball with overspin such that it dips and the batter misjudges the length then that's a wicket you've earned. If you change your grip slightly so that the ball comes out slower with the same arm speed, then again that's a wicket you've earned. If the batter is frustrated and aims a big shot at a ball that's not quite there for it, that's a wicket you've earned.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
If the batter is frustrated and aims a big shot at a ball that's not quite there for it, that's a wicket you've earned.
Watching the Aussie tests yesterday, I'm pretty sure Garry was happier with getting Roston Chase caught at deep mid wicket than the peach that bowled Kemar Roach the next ball. Too true. Although maybe it's external forces (media, commentators, fans) that make it so?

Aislabie

Ireland
Watching the Aussie tests yesterday, I'm pretty sure Garry was happier with getting Roston Chase caught at deep mid wicket than the peach that bowled Kemar Roach the next ball. Too true. Although maybe it's external forces (media, commentators, fans) that make it so?
From experience, both fast bowlers and batters think this way tbh - although fast bowlers are generally just annoyed that spinners are making "less effort" for their wickets

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And PAK well in course of win against "stupid" ENG. Praise all heroics you want but any bravery that leads to a gigantic L.. Is not smart :rolleyes

What more sickening is the PAK fans will sing praise about their team's heroics for another decade and every stinker in PCB continue to rot further and damage the core beyond repair.

Aislabie

Ireland
And PAK well in course of win against "stupid" ENG. Praise all heroics you want but any bravery that leads to a gigantic L.. Is not smart :rolleyes

What more sickening is the PAK fans will sing praise about their team's heroics for another decade and every stinker in PCB continue to rot further and damage the core beyond repair.
... who hurt you?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Getting a positive result on this pitch (thanks to some historic, record breaking cricket) is better than watching five days of dull stat padding from batters.

Bevab

Staff Member
I’m always going to be a fan of any captain and side that is willing to risk defeat for victory. It’s what Clarke and Waugh were famous for and it’s this mentality that led to a change in our fortunes thanks to Kohli after Dhoni’s dismal test captaincy towards the end.

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Forcing a result indeed a great thing and I'm a true fan of that too. This decision looked premature that's all. And watching Asian cricket's continuous decline pains me. And that hurts when Stupid fans are celebrating own downfall under a shade of false glory

SMMODS

Panel of Selectors
India
AUS..
Mumbai Indians
CSK
Sydney Sixers
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
R.I.P England's overconfidence.

Bevab

Staff Member
Is Azhar fit enough to block?

Bevab

Staff Member

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
England deserve to win this. Way too negative approach by Pakistan.

Bevab

Staff Member
Stokes is bowling himself into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread