England tour of West Indies 2021/22

Who will the the Richards-Botham Trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BT popped up a stat yesterday, Bairstow's averages with and without Buttler in the team are miles apart.

I reckon Jos is a bully, nicks his sweets, calls him fanta pants etc

Viva YJB.

Wouldn't rule it out - by all accounts he was exactly that kind of captain at school

There is a classic story about him in his final year at King's College - the MCC (they have a prolific Wandering fixture list) had turned up for their annual game and Buttler won the toss. He chose to bat first and opened the batting with himself and Alex Barrow

It was a time game (as Wandering fixtures are) but Buttler just didn't declare which really pissed off the MCC players. He also made about 200-odd himself because of course he did.

He then went off into the sunset and left Barrow (next year's captain) to face up to an MCC attack that included several professional fast bowlers roped in for the occasion. Not that it mattered to Buttler, who had had his day of not fielding and no consequences.
Ed Smith probably saw that match. It'd explain a lot.

Going off @beechcroft point about bowlers averaging above 30.

Woakes starts his 43rd test match averaging 30.01 (25 home 17 away)

After 42 matches:

Anderson was 34.87 (27 home, 15 away)
Broad was 31.97 (24 home, 17 away, 1 neutral)

The red-ball reset is going so well that Kraigg Brathwaite is scoring at five an over on a pitch where the English top five could barely buy a run.

Also I don't think I'd fully processed that Broad and Anderson were being binned off in exchange for (among others) Woakes and Wood to get more game time. Anderson is 39, Broad 35, Woakes 33 and Wood 32 so it's not exactly a youth policy either.

Users who are viewing this thread