England tour to South Africa December 2015/February 2016

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bayliss wouldn't have said anything. Compton played the situation well. Made sure he didn't get out early in his innings, especially before lunch, now he'll look to push on. Like I said before, the more comfortable he gets, the more expansive he'll become. And a lot of people seem to be confused. Just because Compton has played quite safely in his Test career so far, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have the shots. I've seen him reverse sweep Brett Lee for crying out loud. People get too panicky over a part of an innings. At least let him get out before you moan about him.

The main point is, he's looking a hell of a lot better than Bell did.

I think that's part of the issue for me with Compton. I support Surrey, so I don't see him that much in county cricket, but I've got a couple of mates who watch Middlesex a lot and they both say that Compton plays positively in domestic cricket. Now I know the bowling is better in internationals but it seems as though he plays a it within himself as soon as pulls on a England shirt.

I just want to clarify, that I want Compton to score loads of runs. Unlike some people who were wishing Ian Bell would get out in a few of his innings, I'd like him to go on and score a double hundred here. I do think though that a team should always look to improve and rotating the strike is one area that Compton could improve in.

PokerAce

Banned
Completely disagree. I think if you asked any bowler, 9 out of 10 of them would prefer to bowl at Compton than David Warner any day of the week.

Okay so Shoaib Akhtar must be the 10th I suppose -

The ‘Rawalpindi Express’ said that while Tendulkar's wicket made him a superstar, it was Dravid who was the real intimidating factor in the superstar Indian batting lineup.

“Yes, Sachin made me a star. So I’m thankful to him. He’s a great batsman, without a doubt. He can play better than anyone else. When he got going, he was a nightmare. But the biggest nightmare I ever faced was Rahul Dravid. He used to bore me. He was the first batsman who could intimidate me, in terms of when he walked in, I knew I would have to field for at least two sessions more,” Akhtar revealed.

According to Akhtar, who is now a straight-shooting television expert, only the former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram had the ability to outsmart Dravid.

“The only guy who could stop him [Dravid] was Wasim [Akram], I had no ability to do that. I think in Test matches he was the toughest I bowled to. Sachin was a brutal force. When he got going, he made sure he scored runs. But Dravid killed you mentally. And physically he tired you.

“He was like Mohammad Ali, he would tire you out and then knock you down.”

Dravid was my biggest nightmare: Shoaib Akhtar - Sport - DAWN.COM

You are right about Warner over Compton in limited overs, sure. And while Compton is very far from being in Dravid's league, but in tests, solid batsmen too can destroy a bowler's morale.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I think everyone is reading too much into those 32 balls. A batsman doesn't have to score at the same rate all the time. There will be phases when the scoring will be slow, and there will be pockets when the batsman will seem to move on briskly. Its the overall innings that counts, and not small pockets of play. I would understand the haste if England were looking to declare or something, but I don't understand the call for faster scoring, this early in the innings, with the trade-off being losing a wicket. Right now preserving a wicket is surely more important than scoring 25 quick runs.

I think most people will be delighted with Comton for having stuck in there and ensure that #4 was not out there before lunch. SA would then have had the chance to have a go at #4, and work him over to get through then to #5. What he scored is utterly insignificant in comparison to that fact that he ensured England didn't lose another wicket before lunch.

Run rate can always be made up for later, but losing a wicket can't be. Even now Compton post lunch has moved on to 25 rather briskly if you ask me, and sudden;y 25 off 66 doesn't look so bad does it.

People need to back off Compton, even if he scores slowly, as long as he scores, and ensures that he is hard to get out, he is worth his weight in gold. A batsman smashing bowlers to the boundary keeps bowlers interested, they know their is room to get a wicket there. However a batsman who looks solid just kills bowlers. They run into to bowl, thinking I can't get this guy out. Its much more damaging to the bowler's morale.

I totally agree. However, 3 off 32 is still a shocking rate! I actually don't mind so much, but people like free scoring players, and on the first day of a test match, people will expect a better scoring rate. That's just how people read the game.

I am delighted Compton is back in as I've been saying for years he should bat at 3 in this England side. I think he is just what we need as we have plenty of flair players throughout the order.

PokerAce

Banned
Anyway enough of the Compton talk, to each his own.

SA meanwhile take another brilliant catch. In the previous test, their slip catching, especially in the second innings, terribly let them down. They could have had Eng 58/4 but there were vital catches dropped.

In this test already, the catches are making a difference. Two tough brilliant catches taken, which could easily have been grassed, and England could well have been 129/0 right now.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
I think that's part of the issue for me with Compton. I support Surrey, so I don't see him that much in county cricket, but I've got a couple of mates who watch Middlesex a lot and they both say that Compton plays positively in domestic cricket. Now I know the bowling is better in internationals but it seems as though he plays a it within himself as soon as pulls on a England shirt.

I just want to clarify, that I want Compton to score loads of runs. Unlike some people who were wishing Ian Bell would get out in a few of his innings, I'd like him to go on and score a double hundred here. I do think though that a team should always look to improve and rotating the strike is one area that Compton could improve in.

If Compton plays positively, but loses his wicket in the 20's and 30's all the time, he would probably be dropped. That's the way of this England team at the moment. He's probably just trying to make sure he doesn't give his wicket away.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Completely agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that people are trying to pick holes regarding his S/R during the first session of a Test. England have suffered from collapses repeatedly in recent times and now we finally have someone who actually steadies the ship coming in at 3, rather than adding to the collapse. Takes a lot of pressure off Root too. There isn't much for the bowlers atm, the longer England are out there, the better.

You are right. My point was that it was a very poor rate. I actually think it's a good thing. However, you don't get many number 3's with such a low scoring speed these days. I wouldn't care if Compton played at this speed for the two days but was still in. There is enough fire power in the rest of the team. Also, you are right about taking pressure off of Root. I bet he's well happy knowing that he doesn't have to save the innings AGAIN!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I was going to reply to @bigred but @richowebbo has covered it. I think Compton is low on confidence. He played reasonably well before and got dropped as soon as he had two bad Tests. Therefore, I think he's worried that if he gets knocked over quickly, he'll be dropped again. Once he gets some runs in the innings and (in the future) after a decent run in the side, I think he'll be a different player. But as I've said before, he's doing a decent job now. Especially when you realise that it's a lot better seeing Root come in after 40 overs, rather than after 4.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Anyway enough of the Compton talk, to each his own.

SA meanwhile take another brilliant catch. In the previous test, their slip catching, especially in the second innings, terribly let them down. They could have had Eng 58/4 but there were vital catches dropped.

In this test already, the catches are making a difference. Two tough brilliant catches taken, which could easily have been grassed, and England could well have been 129/0 right now.

SA will be delighted that they've got those catches, especially after England second innings in the previous Test where they were awful in the field.

On another note, how disappointing is it that SA have injuries to Steyn and Phillander? Not very for England, of course, because it should allow the new guys to make more runs, thus improving their confidence. It won't be a true reflection of where England are to beat this SA side, but a good confidence boost nonetheless.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I don't see how that is much different to us. If Steyn just misses this Test then we'd have each had our best bowler missing for one Test. And I'd argue that Wood would be playing ahead of Finn if fully fit, so we're missing one of our main bowlers for the series too. I just don't buy injuries as excuses. Whoever wins the series will be the best team, end of discussion. That's how Test cricket has to work, or else it's pointless.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
SA will be delighted that they've got those catches, especially after England second innings in the previous Test where they were awful in the field.

On another note, how disappointing is it that SA have injuries to Steyn and Phillander? Not very for England, of course, because it should allow the new guys to make more runs, thus improving their confidence. It won't be a true reflection of where England are to beat this SA side, but a good confidence boost nonetheless.

Philander has gained weight and IMO worsened. Definantly think Rabada, Abbott and the 3 A bowlers are better then him...

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I thought the foot wasn't even down in the frame they were looking at personally and even then I was doubting it was behind the line.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
And I'm saying, yes it is that much better. It's a difference of 57 a day.

And if you read my posts (not just the last one), I don't want Compton to get out 'playing shots'. What I want him to do is work the ball into gaps. Especially off Piedt, who he seems just to block. 16 from 32 balls would be adequate.

A strike rate of 50 in Tests, for a blocker, "adequate"? Behave. 50 in Tests is good going for anyone.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bayliss wouldn't have said anything. Compton played the situation well. Made sure he didn't get out early in his innings, especially before lunch, now he'll look to push on. Like I said before, the more comfortable he gets, the more expansive he'll become. And a lot of people seem to be confused. Just because Compton has played quite safely in his Test career so far, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have the shots. I've seen him reverse sweep Brett Lee for crying out loud. People get too panicky over a part of an innings. At least let him get out before you moan about him.

The main point is, he's looking a hell of a lot better than Bell did.

Testify.

Compton before lunch firstly played himself in, then played for lunch. 3 from 32 was slow for sure, but not unduly so in the circumstances.

Nobody needed to have a word with him at lunch, the circumstances were obvious that it was kick on time, which he did well.

Some terrible analysis here from people who generally know better.

Last edited:

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Philander has gained weight and IMO worsened. Definantly think Rabada, Abbott and the 3 A bowlers are better then him...

You're probably right. I don't follow cricket like I used to, so haven't been keeping abreast of all the bowlers. Rabada looks like a great prospect

Users who are viewing this thread