England v Sri Lanka, Test Series (June 2014)

The best thing about that Herath dismissal was that they still had two reviews left. You'd think in that situation you'd be reviewing the decision if you're clean bowled, let alone anything with some doubt.

Dull Test match, but an exciting finish.

True. Also a reflection on how DRS in this form is not perfect at all - if SL did not have reviews left, they would have been robbed off a hard fought draw due to umpiring blunder and DRS wouldn't be able to do anything

2 reviews only per team makes no sense

It's not two reviews per team, it's two failed reviews per team. In other words, if the review is successful, you don't lose it.

Otherwise you'd have reviews of everything just for the sake of it.

Who would you make captain?

Distinct lack of credible candidates.

besides with the coaching setup as it is the party line would remain the same in relation to the declarations.

Bell, Prior, Anderson. Anyone.
The Ashes series fallout has fired the coach, batting coach, one day coach, best batsman and fielding coach yet the captain is still there making the same mistakes.

----------

It's not two reviews per team, it's two failed reviews per team. In other words, if the review is successful, you don't lose it.

Otherwise you'd have reviews of everything just for the sake of it.

You also get 2 back at 80 overs now.

Prior is a good shout for captain actually, especially given the stuff we've heard about the KP fall out, sounds like he held the team together.

I don't think it matters who the Captain is. Fair enough, it may make a difference in terms of how the team cope together and dealing with problems in the dressing room etc. But I'm sure where we'd all like to see a difference is with the match Tactics, i.e. Field placings and declarations etc, unfortunately for that, Cook is just an extension of the management. And with players having to buy into the management's philosophy through the Under 19s, England Lions etc moving all the way up to the Test team, I don't see it changing any time soon, no matter who the man in charge on the field is.

Cook has just fallen behind Kevin Pieterson in the Test batting rankings after this test. Found that quite amusing...

Ugh, what genius changed the thread title? We get a lot more people posting when we have a thread for each Test with England games. Posting in this one just gets it lost.

I like watching Herath bowl though, not a lot in the pitch for him, but he's still bowling very well.

Special mention to Russell Arnold on commentary too. He seems to fit the style of the Sky box brilliantly.

that's a big break through for mathews today, sri lanka really could do with him developing into a real world class player. he's one of the few that have cemented his place in the side in recent years.

probably done enough these two matches to bag his wisden cricketer of the year award too.

Wow .. well played Sri Lanka. What a fight they have given :|

I am almost jealous since they are a subcontinent team too, and given how badly we fared last time we went to England (And Australia). And they participated in IPL and other leagues too. I wish our young team shows similar application and gives a proper fight in English conditions

My team to face India:

Robson
Ali
Root
Bell
Ballance
Stokes
Prior :wk: :c:
Broad
Plunkett
Anderson
Panesar

Cook won't be dropped. What's wrong with Ballance at 3? And Panesar :eek: seriously?

Very impressive from Sri Lanka. I though they would get rolled over in this test series but they have shown what a good side they are.

Panesar was dropped by Essex for 'time keeping' issues. He shouldn't be anywhere near the national side if he can't be bothered with Essex.

Users who are viewing this thread