England

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
^ Hopefully this will make you happy. Now for the sake of entertainment I pray to the Lord above that may England make it to the Semi Finals :)

Highlander999

ICC President
Don't be so bloody thick! Why would anyone be happy someone has to stop their job because they have depression? He might have copped a bit of flack but no one wishes him physical/mental problems......we aren't Indian fans!

Params7

International Cricketer
Why isn't Alistair Cook playing? I just realized he's not even in the squad despite being awesome in Ashes.

Owzat

International Coach
It's all well and good saying "trust England to call someone in who hasn't got ODI experience", but what seamer other than Woakes could you call up? I'm surprised they didn't go for Woakes. But you aren't going to go for Plunkett are you? He's a bit, er, crap.

I'm not even sure I'd have brought in a seamer, we already have Bresnan (or do we?), Anderson, Tremlett and I guess Collingwood/Wright/Bopara. Of course with Anderson misfiring I suppose you could call up a seamer, but there's plenty with more than NO experience - Mahmood, Kabir Ali, Plunkett as you mentioned, Harmison, Finn, Sidebottom (retired as he might be), Woakes as you mention, Onions (if fit) and Mascarenhas (if fit) to name a few.

I seriously question whether England forward plan at all, not giving Tredwell more ODIs before selecting him and predictably not using him until the last, picking Yardy and Wright consistently while they've shown little or no improvement/promise and taken up other candidates spaces in the team.

Biggest problem is what I'll mention next :

There aren't back-ups in the county circuit with significant international experience.

Well that is a self-imposed stupidity on the part of the selectors, picking Test bowlers for ODIs and bowling them into the ground and then complaining they are exhausted by a hectic schedule :rolleyes Sure you need to pick your better players, but could they not play say Trott and Strauss one ODI series, then Bell and KP the next kind of thing? It wasn't a secret where the World Cup was being held, yet how often did England give other spinners a chance and take a chance to rest Swann?

I didn't specify "significant" international experience, and part of my point is England's rather random approach to selection. Surely they don't just stick their thumbs up their Rses and pull them out and pick whoever looks most like what has come out on the end of their thumb?!?!?! Surely they discuss potentials to keep an eye on, a shortlist of candidates to come in when injuries occur or simply for progression when a player is found wanting!?!?!

What I mean is they pick one player for a few ODIs one series, then someone else for a few the next, then another, then another, and the whole process seems entirely uncoordinated and lacking planning. It happens in Tests AND ODIs, it's why players get one or two caps then disappear like Khan and Pattinson.

----------

Don't be so bloody thick! Why would anyone be happy someone has to stop their job because they have depression? He might have copped a bit of flack but no one wishes him physical/mental problems......we aren't Indian fans!

I don't think he is suggesting someone should be happy he is depressed, but that a player who is not performing (and is very lucky to be in that job in the first place, but that's an aside), is being replaced by someone who could be useful.

Or are you telling me if an underperforming member of the squad is injured and replaced you aren't happy?!?!?! So why should this be any different?

What's Yardy got to be depressed about? He's lucky he was in the squad and playing for England at all, most people would swap places with him, Trescothick and the rest at a heartbeat rather than scrape a living. Sportsmen being depressed just makes me angry, they should consider what their life might be like.

And if he's depressed perhaps someone should tell him my dad, and plenty of others worldwide have cancer, are dying, people have died in conflicts, disasters, tragedies, people get abused etc, and then maybe he'd get a bit of PERSPECTIVE. But then sportsmen don't live in the real world, so excuse me if I don't bend over backwards to feel sympathy.

Highlander999

ICC President
I don't think he is suggesting someone should be happy he is depressed, but that a player who is not performing (and is very lucky to be in that job in the first place, but that's an aside), is being replaced by someone who could be useful.

Or are you telling me if an underperforming member of the squad is injured and replaced you aren't happy?!?!?! So why should this be any different?

What's Yardy got to be depressed about? He's lucky he was in the squad and playing for England at all, most people would swap places with him, Trescothick and the rest at a heartbeat rather than scrape a living. Sportsmen being depressed just makes me angry, they should consider what their life might be like.

And if he's depressed perhaps someone should tell him my dad, and plenty of others worldwide have cancer, are dying, people have died in conflicts, disasters, tragedies, people get abused etc, and then maybe he'd get a bit of PERSPECTIVE. But then sportsmen don't live in the real world, so excuse me if I don't bend over backwards to feel sympathy.

How do you know what he is depressed about? Apparently it has been a long running issue for him, and I would much rather have an under-performing player in the team then one having to leave because of a mental illness.

As for your final paragraph, that is such an outdated view on depression it just makes you appear very backward, and yes I have family as well who have been incredibly ill so can speak as someone with some "perspective" and have a lot of sympathy for people like Yardy and Trescothick.

Sureshot

Executive member
Agree with Tom. The view that depression and being sad are one and the same is so outdated.

Whether you think he should be in the side or not is irrelevant, to come home in such circumstances is terrible for him and his family.

Kabooka

International Cricketer

Next time read the post properly, you didn't get me at all, what I meant was that Sureshot has been a big vocal supporter of Rashid & finally he is gonna be in the squad. So now Sureshot is gonna be pleased . It is sad that Yardy has to leave for these reasons & hopefully he will emerge stronger from this ordeal.

And yeah, Indian fans don't wish ill for anybody at least in Cricket , its just a bloody game, a GAME ! Also tell me when was the last time you heard a grown up/mentally stable person wishing ill of someone over any game (unless you know someone who is a Millwall F.C supporter).

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Making a one post exception here to me leaving but I can't let that go.

That is such a horrid and outdated view of depression Owzat its not funny. From someone who has experienced depression personally I know that depression is an illness that can strike anyone regardless of their surroundings and lifestyle.

I simply cannot put into words who I feel about this paragraph. Its views like this that lead to suicides instead of him being properly treated.

Owzat

International Coach
I simply cannot put into words who I feel about this paragraph. Its views like this that lead to suicides instead of him being properly treated.

I said I'm not bending over backwards, my sympathy at the moment is directed at my father who has cancer not some namby pamby who's got relatively FA to be depressed about by the average standards.

My sympathy, or lack of, won't make a difference to whether he seeks or actually needs help so jump down off your high horse and stop judging other people. The internet is full of ridiculous drama queens, people die in the world all the time and some don't have half the opportunity sportsmen and women do, and yet you choose to make a drama out of his problem by extending it to suicides in general. I didn't say I have no sympathy for people who are depressed, nor did I say he shouldn't have treatment :facepalm

--------------------------------------------------------------

*that's me drawing a line under it, I doubt you're gonna do the same but you never know* :rolleyes

----------

It seems J.Trott hasnt hit a six in his career so far....:eek: Is this true?

Quite probably, but then England CHOSE to select most of their Test batting line up and the batsmen who play little county one day cricket.

England must move forwards, pick players who have no ties to the Test team. A few of the current squad may carry the side forward, those not regularly involved in Test cricket for instance. Having a separate ODI squad could also be a stepping stone for Test cricket, in a way like it used to be until the ODIs stopped preceding Test series (so much) and now tend to follow rather than precede.

ODI squad - a few suggestions

Denly
Moore
Davies (wk)
Kieswetter (wk)
Bopara
Morgan
Hildreth
Patel
Bresnan
Woakes
Shahzad
Dernbach
Kirtley
Tredwell
Rashid

I'll tentatively suggest Collingwood may benefit from time out of the Test team and if he can find his form would be a good player to add experience to the ODI squad. A few more players like Kirtley could add nurturing experience to the side, might also end up with a few more mercenaries if the ODI side isn't packjammed with Test players who haven't frankly proven themselves the best available with a 1-6 drubbing in the aussie series and then losing to Bangladesh and Ireland. Maybe we could get some of the better Irish lads on board

While that list may only be 15, I'd suggest a more working squad of 20-25 and a revision of members every two years. So if they were to pick a squad now then they could look at it halfway to the next World Cup and make a few adjustments with new selections having two years to gain experience ahead of the next World Cup. A few may end up playing Tests from that lot, their involvement could be assessed at the same stage and whether they could still be viewed as uninvolved enough in Tests. Bresnan has played Tests but is as yet not regular, I'd include Finn in the squad but reckon he may well play more Tests and is a tad too expensive for ODIs at the moment

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I agree with your general view of segregating the test/ODI teams, but how could you leave out Pietersen from the ODI team? He's the one English Test player who's a genuine threat in a limited overs game when he's out there. He's a good fielder, can chip in with the ball a bit, and has experience. Wouldn't he make a better selection than Collingwood, at least?

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
ODI squad - a few suggestions

Denly
Moore
Davies (wk)
Kieswetter (wk)
Bopara
Morgan
Hildreth
Patel
Bresnan
Woakes
Shahzad
Dernbach
Kirtley
Tredwell
Rashid

While your point in axing the test players is valid , axing them as a whole is never gonna work for the side . Remember the 2006 series against Sri Lanka at home where we were battered 5-0 ?? How many players (or should i put it as bowlers) were playing at test level at that time ?? Jon Lewis , Liam Plunkett , Kabir Ali , Jamie Dalrymple , Sajid Mahmood constituted a woeful bowling attack who were eventually made to constipate by the Lankans . I still cannot forget the game where Tharanga and Jayasuriya put on 289 for the 1st wicket and chased the target of 321 with 11 overs to spare . So , i would suggest in England having 5-6 test players (that is what every side do , don't they ??)

This will be my suggestion :

Cook *
Strauss
Davies +
Buttler +
Pietersen
Trott
Morgan
Hildreth
James Taylor
Bopara
Patel
Rashid
Swann
Broad
Tredwell
Wood
Woakes
Shahzad

37 years and still been expensive despite a decent wicket taker for Sussex . And also heard that he recently announced his retirement from county cricket .

Again , very expensive and except for his accurate slower balls , i really don't see anything special in him .

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Although he doesn't score quickly, he does score runs, you cannot leave Trott out, he's our best batsman by a country mile. Due to his strike-rate I'd have him opening.

I suppose a lot depends on who the captain is, if you bring Cook in, you wouldn't open with Cook and Trott (I'd bring Davies back in).

Kirtley has completely retired. I think Samit will be in the side come the summer, he is a solution to having a genuine all-rounder in the side.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Although he doesn't score quickly, he does score runs, you cannot leave Trott out, he's our best batsman by a country mile. Due to his strike-rate I'd have him opening.

I suppose a lot depends on who the captain is, if you bring Cook in, you wouldn't open with Cook and Trott (I'd bring Davies back in).

Kirtley has completely retired. I think Samit will be in the side come the summer, he is a solution to having a genuine all-rounder in the side.

Ye no way can Trott be dropped - thats crazy talk. Trott, KP & Morgan are the 3 mainstays in the ODI middle-order currently & going forward

Plus talk of Cook possibly coming back into the ODI side is even more crazy haaaaaa. That is test player - full stop, dont let his Ashes form cloud judgement. If Strauss does indeed give up captaincy (although somehow i doubt he will do this this summer at least) - the next skipper has to be a fixture in the ODI team - thus the best two candidates would be either KP or Swann.

HAA @ talk of James Kirtley also..

My opinion of the best ENG ODI XI & SQUAD going forward would thus be:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Trott
KP
Morgan
Bopara
Patel
Napier
Bresnan
Swann
Broad

Kieswetter/Davies
Shazad
Woakes
Hildreth/Taylor - Given that Bell has waisted his ODI opportunities this winter & Collingwood career in the ODI set-up seems well & truly over (at least for now).

OUTSIDE Chances:

J Butler
Shah
Hales
Lumb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread