Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
A good series win there Vaughnie, good performaces all round, give the lesser players a go in the last test in preperation for the 1 dayers. Looking forward to the ODI series btw.

S_Harmison said:
A good series win there Vaughnie, good performaces all round, give the lesser players a go in the last test in preperation for the 1 dayers. Looking forward to the ODI series btw.

Yes the England captain and coach will be considering playing some of the other players for the other test, but nothing is known as yet.

England claim series win
engcelebrate2rj.jpg

Man of the Match Andrew Flintoff celebrates with the Barmy Army fans
England claimed their first Test series victory on South African soil in 40 years after Michael Vaughan's men battled valiantly to secure a 3-0 lead in 5 test series against South Africa, with just one test remaining. Reputations were made and enhanced as the likes of Michael Vaughan, Andrew Flintoff and Herschelle Gibbs dazzled with the bat, while Matthew Hoggard claimed the best bowling figures by an Englishman since Ian Botham against India 25 years earlier during the 2nd test at Durban. Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard proved once again why they now form one of the best bowling attacks in the world.

England beat South Africa in the 4th test at Johannesburg by five wickets, in a match that lasted the entire five days. The chief performer of the match was without doubt, Andrew Flintoff. His two innings of 90 and 101* were the deciding factors of this test match. In the first innings, he helped England prevent a follow on, while in the second innings he almost single handedly guided his team home.

For South Africa, the main performers were once again Jacques Kallis, Herschelle Gibbs and also Graeme Smith who hit a cracking 157 not out in the 1st innings, that helped South Africa score a mammoth 472.

Last edited:
England send Flintoff home
Andrew Flintoff's undefeated 101 in Johannesburg yesterday will be his last contribution to international cricket for at least four months. After a week of speculation, England have finally confirmed that Flintoff is to return home today for surgery on his chronic ankle problem. England have already sealed the 5 test match series against South Africa, 3-0.
This means England will have to make a change in their test lineup for the first time in this series. Paul Collingwood or Ian Bell are expected to take Flintoff's place in the side for the final test at Centurion. Other possible candidates include Rob Key and Simon Jones.

England will name his replacement for the Standard Bank ODI series soon.

South Africa drop De Villiers and Dippenaar, bring in Rudolph and Van Jaarsveld.
South Africa have dropped De Villiers and Dippenaar for the final test against England at Centurion. Jacques Rudolph, who played the first two test matches, gets a recall, and he will be joined by Martin Van Jaarsveld.

Attachments

• freddie2.jpg
    freddie2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
MTN CASTLE LAGER TEST SERIES
South Africa vs England
5th Test
Centurion, Johannesburg, South Africa

England lead series 3-0

start.jpg

Hello and welcome to Centurion for the final test between South Africa and England. England have already won the series 3-0, but despite this, we are expecting another fine 5 days of action, as England look to do the 4-0, while South Africa try and restore some pride, and end the test series on a happy note.

Well the conditions and pitch plays a vital role in test matches. Lets see what we have here at Centurion.
conditions.jpg

pitch.jpg

The Toss: England won the toss and elected to bat first.

The Teams: South Africa have three changes in their side. Out go, De Villiers, Dippenaar and vice captain Boje(injury), and in come Van Jaarsveld, Rudolph and Peterson.
safrica.jpg

England have also made three changes. Flintoff has been sent home to undergo surgery, while Thorpe and Anderson have been left out for this game. Replacing them are Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell and Simon Jones.
england.jpg

Best of luck Mick im sure you will win this one :) even without freddie

the_gas said:
Best of luck Mick im sure you will win this one even without freddie

Thanks

S_Harmison said:
Ditto, im pleased with the changes to the squad also, good luck.

Thanks again.

-----------------------------------------------------

At Stumps on Day 1
England (1st Innings) 336-4

M. Trescothick 147(209) M.Ntini 2-99
A. Strauss 57(158)
M. Butcher 39(58)

Highlights:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

ihnp-293123.jpg
[
pic5.jpg

Last edited:
Well someone said, that for England to challenge Australia in the upcoming Ashes, it was essential that they learn to be aggressive and dominate their opponents. Thats exactly what Michael Vaughan's team did today.

They went into this fifth and final test, already 3-0 up in the series. Michael Vaughan won the toss and elected to bat first on a good pitch. A fine exhibition of batting followed, as both the England openers started playing their shots. Trescothick was much more aggressive in his approach, while Strauss, who has not had the best of times in South Africa, played a more conservative approach. England's opening stand was of a 193 runs. Trescothick was finally dismissed for a mammoth 147, while Strauss made 57. At stumps on day 1 England were 336-4, thanks to a late comeback by the Proteas, dismissing Butcher(39) and Hoggard(23), who was sent in as a nightwatchman.

For South Africa, Ntini picked up a couple of wickets.

1_engscorecard.jpg

1_engbatting.jpg

1_sabowling.jpg

^I had a nightwatchman(Gillespie) in my thread too.Pity I couldnt continue it cuz of exams.

Will p said:
I just love the realism, i mean a night-watchmen...Brilliant touch!

Thanks. Yup I had got Hoggard in early as a NW, but could not keep him in till the end of the day.

gold639 said:
I had a nightwatchman(Gillespie) in my thread too.Pity I couldnt continue it cuz of exams

I am sure you can start a new thread. Your story was fantastic to read.

EDIT: ANY COMMENTS ON MY LAST VIDEO?

At Stumps on Day 2
South Africa (2nd Innings) 38-1
H. Gibbs 13*(35) A. Giles 1-0
M. Van Jaarsveld 11(37)

South Africa (1st Innings) 204 all out
J. Kallis 82(119) S. Harmison 5-46
G. Smith 37(78) A. Giles 3-35

England (1st Innings) 446 all out
M. Trescothick 147(209) R. Peterson 3-63
A. Strauss 57(158) M. Ntini 3-119
M. Vaughan 49(82)