B. Dippenaar 32(55)

England need another 171 runs to win, 6 wickets in hand

Highlights

Vaughan makes no mistakes with the catch to dismiss Andrew Hall

Ashley Giles strikes for England.

Harmison celebrates Dippenaar's wicket.

Gibbs' 50

Last edited:
I think if u can avoid any early wickets and tick the board over early on, you should win this one Mick. Only 6 wickets left, but there are a few more decent batsmen to come yet. I think only a typical england collapse can lose this one.

Good luck :)

p.s that must have been hard going seeing south africa make 450+ lol

Trescothick decides to go out all guns blazing!

Strauss is dismissed for just 10 by Andrew Hall

Trescothick is beaten, and England lose their second wicket.

Vaughan gets another life

Next wicket to fall was that of Vaughan's, caught by Kallis off Hall.

A dejected Butcher walks back to the dressing room after being dismissed. :(

Day 4 saw a lot of action, with a total of 13 wickets falling in the process. Resuming at 28-1, the South African batsmen were having a tough time against the swinging ball and the variable bounce. An overnight shower had left the pitch green and the outfield pretty damp. The Proteas were bowled out for just 198, setting Michael Vaughan's team 291 runs to win.

The England bowlers did their job well, with Hoggard picking up four wickets, and Harmison getting three. Steve Harmison now has a total of 8 wickets in the match after his figures of 5-86 in the 1st innings.

For South Africa, only Herschelle Gibbs performed, scoring 70 from 141 balls. Jacques Kallis scored 23, while Shaun Pollock scored 22.

asascr7cf.jpg

asabat0mm.jpg

aengbowl1wq.jpg

Well despite the day being an action-filled one, I forgot to save any videos.

The_gas said:
I think if u can avoid any early wickets and tick the board over early on, you should win this one Mick. Only 6 wickets left, but there are a few more decent batsmen to come yet. I think only a typical england collapse can lose this one.

Good luck :)

p.s that must have been hard going seeing south africa make 450+ lol

Dude, its really tough batting at this stage, with the ball moving around. Most of the fours scored by the England batsmen came off edges. I have a pretty tough task ahead of me tomorrow, but hopefully I will be able to get those 171 runs.

Last edited:
The_gas said:
Ahh whoops i forgot it was a green pitch :)

Had started off with a dusty wicket and overcast conditions, but after the rain on day 2, changed the conditions to cloudy and the pitch to green.

Match Summary (4:13 PM on Day 5)
England (2nd Innings) 291-5

A. Flintoff 101*(199) A. Hall 2-34
M. Trescothick 40(44)
G. Jones 33*(101)

South Africa (2nd Innings) 198 all out
H. Gibbs 70(141) M. Hoggard 4-28
J. Kallis 23(54) S. Harmison 3-35

England (1st Innings) 380 all out
A. Flintoff 90(138) J. Kallis 5-65
G. Jones 85(115) A. Nel 3-66
M. Butcher 52(73) S. Pollock 2-99

South Africa (1st Innings) 472-9 declared
G. Smith 157*(247) S. Harmison 5-86
J. Kallis 107(141) M. Hoggard 2-86
B. Dippenaar 32(55)

England win by 5 wickets
England win 5 match series 3-0 (1 match remaining)

Man of the Match: Andrew Flintoff

Highlights:
img1.jpg

Thorpe is run out for 28

img2.jpg

Freddie hits another four

img3.jpg

A match winning 100

img4.jpg

Man of the Match Andrew Flintoff celebrates England's 5 wicket win over South Africa

England had a lot of work to do on the final day of this 4th test match, and with 4 wickets down, many had already written them off from winning this test match.
But this England team has a special weapon, in the form of Andrew Flintoff. The lancastrian lad whose 90 in the 1st innings helped England save a follow on, and this time, he got to his century, and was also unbeaten at the end.
He was well supported by Graham Thorpe and Geraint Jones, and though it was not a flash innings that we usually see from Freddie, it was probably one of the most important ones.

England needed another 171 runs to win when play started on day 5, and had 6 wickets in hand. Flintoff and Thorpe extended their partnership to 76 runs, before Thorpe was run out for 28. Thorpe was replaced by Geraint Jones, who stayed there till the end along with Andrew Flintoff.

With this win, England have sealed the series 3-0, with the final test match at Centurion remaining. This is a great achievement for Vaughan and his boys, as they become only the second team to win a series in South Africa since its readmission to test cricket in 1992.

Deservedly, Andrew Flintoff was named man of the match for his two crucial knocks in both innings.

engscore.jpg

engbat.jpg

sabowl.jpg

Congrats on the series victory Mick. Two good knocks from fredddie there, the team are on a role and look good to seal the series 4-0. Any team changes planned seeing as England have already wrapped the series up?

Users who are viewing this thread