English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Grounds like OT should always be test venues given its tradition. England players know those grounds well & some grounds in history home teams know what to expect from them & thus can plan better. If you keep awarding new grounds test venues like Cardiff, its almost like ENG would be playing on a neutral venue & that negates home advantage.

The only ground in England that should always have test matches is Lords due to tradition. Old Trafford has been lagging behind nearly every other ground in the UK for quite a long time in terms of refurbishment and facilaties especially when we have a plethora of very good grounds at the moment.

On another few subjects - and I mentioned one of them in one of the World Cup threads - the lack of interest in cricket in UK and the future of County cricket. What is to be done? I get the impression that most people/Joe Public think that The Ashes is cricket. Nothing else matters.

Reason I bring this up, the county season is a month away - and county cricket is in trouble. Many counties are making big losses - and it has to be addressed. A sensible calendar needs to be thought up so, those, who are interested - can go and watch, and know when certain games are on. At the moment, you can have various different formats going on.
Why not keep the CC to for example; Weds - Sat, replace the 40 over competition with a 50 over Sunday League, then have the T20 somewhere in the school summer holidays.
I'd also like to see the CC have later starts from mid-May to August - so the final session could be from 6-8pm. Or is that too radical.
As for my 50 over Sunday league - I'd split it into 2 leagues/conferences - and the top 2 play off in a best of 3 final.

Cardiff should never have held a Test, and an Ashes test for that matter. 16,000 capacity - that's just a joke, in fact all our Test grounds are pretty small, when you consider we think we are a major Test nation.
While i agree with you regarding tradition - if there are better and bigger grounds, then they should be used. The RoseBowl in Hampshire is a good ground, and will be extended. Also, it looks like a cricket ground, as does Trent Bridge. Headingley is a blot on the landscape - an awful looking ground.

Especially for an Ashes test DEAR GOD that was so ridiculous. ENG lucky they scared up for that test ATT.

Ha ye true abt Leeds. But thats one ground if conditions are right to his historic conditions i.e overcast & a greentop thats one venue where England could always have maximum home advantage on.

----------

The only ground in England that should always have test matches is Lords due to tradition. Old Trafford has been lagging behind nearly every other ground in the UK for quite a long time in terms of refurbishment and facilaties especially when we have a plethora of very good grounds at the moment.

When i talk tradition i mean mainly playing conditions tradition more than legacy tradtions. ENG players know what to expect from grounds when they play @ Lords, The Oval, Headingley, OT, TB, CLS (to a level). It aides coaches in in preparing tactics for games i.e should the team bat or bowl first etc. Some home grounds become a fortress for you also like how Barbados was from Windies between 1936-1994, Karachi was for Pakistan & SRI is almost unbeatable @ Galle & SSC Colombo.

Infrastructure of the ground although especially for a 1st world nation like ENG should be improved sure. But that shouldn't be the main issue & shouldnt be a reason to remove test status from a venue.

You play on too much new grounds in tests like Cardiff, Rose Bowl etc like what the ECB is doing now with the bidding process, it almost becomes a neutral venue for ENG & thats not good (although its not impossible for the players to adapt). Leave those new grounds for mainly ODIs/T20s.

Last edited:
You play on too much new grounds in tests like Cardiff, Rose Bowl etc like what the ECB is doing now with the bidding process

Or go the other way play more games at those stadiums allowing people to become adept in those conditions and leave the doddering, old and poorly facillated grounds for the shorter stuf...

On another few subjects - and I mentioned one of them in one of the World Cup threads - the lack of interest in cricket in UK and the future of County cricket. What is to be done? I get the impression that most people/Joe Public think that The Ashes is cricket. Nothing else matters.

Reason I bring this up, the county season is a month away - and county cricket is in trouble. Many counties are making big losses - and it has to be addressed. A sensible calendar needs to be thought up so, those, who are interested - can go and watch, and know when certain games are on. At the moment, you can have various different formats going on.
Why not keep the CC to for example; Weds - Sat, replace the 40 over competition with a 50 over Sunday League, then have the T20 somewhere in the school summer holidays.
I'd also like to see the CC have later starts from mid-May to August - so the final session could be from 6-8pm. Or is that too radical.
As for my 50 over Sunday league - I'd split it into 2 leagues/conferences - and the top 2 play off in a best of 3 final.

Ye the fanbase in cricket is quite small. It mainly white people the play cricket & thats minority of the whites still, given the majority are football fans. While their is limited amount of Asian thats play & almost none of black people of caribbean descent especially play cricket (they see cricket as posch sport). I dont know if their is general lack of interest in cricket yet though, since i think the small group still are very passionate about the sport to keep it vibrant for years to come. But no doubt interest does spark alot & more casual cricket fans would follow cricket more, when Ashes series come around.

The pro-40 competition should definately be scrapped & the 50 over competition be reinstated. I find it quite dumb that you can play ODI competition like the 40 overs domestically when it isn't even played internationally (S Africa & AUS do it too, which is larger ICC that deserved another thread).

These here are some good suggestions though:

quote said:

----------

Or go the other way play more games at those stadiums allowing people to become adept in those conditions and leave the doddering, old and poorly facillated grounds for the shorter stuf...

Ha you make Old Trafford sound like its some old West Indian type venue.

Did you ever see grounds like Barbados & Guyana before they where renovanted (Barbados mainly) before the 2007 world cup?. Barbados was Windies fortress, that ground was ancient & OT in its current conditions was 5 times better than the old Kensington. Windies given the great history of would never considering doing what you suggest be done to OT.

OT just need minor renovations, one big stand & lights & it will be fine. Its just sad to see the company who was suppose to do it, is now going to court over some crazyness, thus putting OT test future in potential jeopardy.

Nice way to cripple the Counties that are actually managing to post a profit. 3 Home games is a lot of money. County Championship should have been reduced in my opinion.

Thank god English county has been reduced!! It's way too long then any other countries

In terms of profits for clubs, this is not good news, but the calendar is congested- something had to give.

Are there any Gloucestershire fans on PC?

I ask because James Fuller, a young fast bowler from Otago was signed by Gloucestershire on a three year contract at the end of last year - he's classed as a local player thanks to his father being born in England. He's a very promising young bowler, 6'6ish and quick, 140+. Just an awesome athlete really as he's quite a decent lower order hitter as well. For a variety of reasons however he's only played two first class games for Otago over the last two seasons - he's been injured basically.

Now I thought after he signed with Gloucestershire he'd probably spend a bit of time with the second XI or something but going by Alex Gidman's comments Fuller could very well be playing in the first game of the season starting this week. With Gloucestershire having signed Kane Williamson and now James Fuller looking likely to play a big part during this season I'd like to know if there was anywhere to get highlights of the days action on the net? Is that something Gloucestershire usually do?

Users who are viewing this thread