English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
He is just incredibly consistent , isn't he ?? I mean it in all forms of the game . Incredible talent really ! :thumbs

James Taylor is quality bat, Watched him today. For a little guy, he hits a hard ball. Also I hope Simon Jones makes a England return. But fitness may be a issue again.

Eye on England for ODIs (my perspective) :

Chris Woakes
Danny Briggs
Simon Jones
Craig Kieswetter
Steve Davies
Jos Buttler
James Taylor
Samit Patel (reduce your weight FFS :p)
Adil Rashid
Sajid Mahmood
Steven Finn (his young age is the only positive I see in him for ODIs)
Jade Dernbach (same reason as in the case of Finn)
Chris Wood (will wait and observe him for a couple of more games)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players deserving to get the axe :

Matt Prior
Ian Bell
James Anderson
Luke Wright
Michael Yardy
Chris Tremlett (let him remain a good test bowler)
James Tredwell (I just don't see anything special in him though he did win England the match against the Windies (again me thinks Swann did better on that day :p))

A complete revamp of the squad is needed .

Last edited:
Agree with you there Haarithan. But this is what my ODI team would be with Strauss stepping down as skipper and KP back :

Kevin Pietersen
Steven Davies (wk)
Jonathan Trott
James Taylor
Eoin Morgan
Craig Kieswetter
Jos Buttler
Tim Bresnan
Chris Woakes
Greame Swann
Steven Finn

Don't know who would be captain. Personally i would go with Trott or maybe Swann.

Man , you just can't afford to drop our best limited overs fast bowler in Stuart Broad for Steve Finn . Also , Kieswetter playing down the order at number 6 won't be quite effective .

Mine would look something like this . Not a fan of Cook captaining the side , but that seems to be the reality ahead so ..

Alastair Cook *
Steve Davies +
Jonathan Trott (6)
James Taylor
Eoin Morgan
Jos Buttler
Samit Patel (5)
Chris Woakes (2)
Graeme Swann (4)
Tim Bresnan (3)
Stuart Broad (1)

In the squad but not in the XI :

Kevin Pietersen
Danny Briggs
Adil Rashid
Simon Jones

----------

Still a weak inexperienced bunch . Really need a guy to fill in the shoes of Flintoff to restore balance in this side . :(

James Taylor is quality bat, Watched him today. For a little guy, he hits a hard ball. Also I hope Simon Jones makes a England return. But fitness may be a issue again.

Thats the thing, his fitness seems to be able withstand limited overs cricket fairly well these days without breaking down. Its the 4-day stuff he needs to give up.

Agree with you there Haarithan. But this is what my ODI team would be with Strauss stepping down as skipper and KP back :

Kevin Pietersen
Steven Davies (wk)
Jonathan Trott
James Taylor
Eoin Morgan
Craig Kieswetter
Jos Buttler
Tim Bresnan
Chris Woakes
Greame Swann
Steven Finn

Don't know who would be captain. Personally i would go with Trott or maybe Swann.

To be honest I can't imagine Trott as captain, Trott should just get on with his batting which he is so consistant at without anything else to think about as it may effect his batting. In that line up I would probably go with pieterson as captain.

New kids on the block stake their claim for England Test place | Sport | The Observer

QUOTE said:
Young guns: Rob Smyth's six to follow

Danny Briggs, 19
A tall left-arm spinner who has modelled his game on Daniel Vettori and has a similar mix of craft and craftiness. Briggs was a revelation on the Lions tour of the Caribbean. He was England's leading wicket-taker by a distance, taking 33 at an average of 18.87 in the regional four-day competition, and excelled for Hampshire during last year's Twenty20 Finals Day

James Hildreth, 26
Hildreth has been on England's radar for a long time - he caught Ricky Ponting during the 2005 Lord's Test - and was described as "an extraordinary talent" by his former Somerset team-mate Justin Langer. He is a stylish, fleet-footed right-hander who top-scored as captain on the recent Lions tour

James Taylor, 21
A tiny man with an appetite for big hundreds, everything about Taylor suggests a class act - from his easy, authoritative strokeplay to the calm and emphatic manner in which he has responded to every challenge for Leicestershire and the England Lions

Adam Lyth, 23
A typical modern opener: fearless, dashing and dominant. His big breakthrough came last year, when he was the first man to reach 1,000 first-class runs. Geoffrey Boycott, one of Lyth's predecessors as a Yorkshire opener, certainly approves: he has compared him to David Gower

Reece Topley, 17
At 6ft 7in, Topley is yet another tall English fast bowler - but with a difference. He is a left-armer, and his main weapon is swing rather than bounce. Topley, who is studying for his A-levels, has had a fine start to his Essex career, with five-fors in his first two Championship matches

Ben Stokes, 19
A big, strong, charismatic all-rounder who has inevitably been compared to Andrew Flintoff. Stokes, who was born in New Zealand, had an outstanding 2010 for Durham and began this season by smashing 31 off an over as part of a bravura performance against Hampshire.

Interesting not to see Michael Bates getting a mention, might be that his batting is not up to standard but is probably one of the best keepers in the country, better than Bairstow at Yorkshire in my opinion.

Timely hundred from Bopara today. Although i still prefer Morgan to get the nod, the battle for who will replace Collingwood in the vacant # 6 spot is certainly very hot ATM.

Danny Briggs also continues to impress - quickly he looks like he is could become Swann's # 2 by the time the winter tours to IND this year arrives.

Onions also wonderfully reminding us of what a dangerous bowler he is when the ball is swinging. I tell ya although Anderson/Tremlett/Broad are the main 3 quicks - if conditions this summer are similar to last year vs PAK, once he keeps his form up, Onions is VERY tempting to get right back into the main XI.

Last edited:
Also id say Alex Hales once he keeps us his form has to be picked for the T20s this summer. Looks he could be the destructive ODI/T20 opener that ENG have been looking for since Trescothick left.

Eye on England for ODIs (my perspective) :

Alex Hales
Chris Woakes
Danny Briggs
Simon Jones
Craig Kieswetter
Steve Davies
Jos Buttler
James Taylor
Samit Patel (reduce your weight FFS )
Adil Rashid
Sajid Mahmood
Steven Finn (his young age is the only positive I see in him for ODIs)
Jade Dernbach (same reason as in the case of Finn)
Chris Wood (will wait and observe him for a couple of more games)

Add Alastair Cook into that ever growing talented list . What a piece of batting with James Foster yesterday to render Alex Hale's blistering century useless .

And Jade Dernbach's bowling figures read 1/13 from his 8 overs which is yet again awesome for a CB40 match .

Steve Davies was brilliant in his 96 , and so was Patel's cameo of 67 and Buttler's unbeaten cameo of 30 from 23 .

Really good signs ahead . Who wants the IPL after all ??

----------

But the one thing that I slightly am disappointed with this tournament is that 90% of the matches are being won by the sides chasing . Each and every target set by the first batting side are being chased down with a couple of overs to spare .

Also id say Alex Hales once he keeps us his form has to be picked for the T20s this summer. Looks he could be the destructive ODI/T20 opener that ENG have been looking for since Trescothick left.

He's a guy that has really impressed me a lot whenever I've seen him bat. His stats don't do justice to him though. Average of 36 in first class cricket and average of 39 in list a cricket don't do him justice at all, he is a much better player then that. I really hope to see him playing for England soon, he has got the talent to be a good player on international level.

Bang on. He's been looking very good the last season and a bit.

Somerset's season has finally kicked into action. Kieswetter in the runs again today, with Buttler just refusing to get out in OD cricket. We're missing Thomas like mad though, in both forms of cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread