English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now now my friend i think are sort of going of in a awol tangent as to why people are calling for Napier to get into the ENG set-up this season.

Firstly at least in my case that 158 he scored 3 years has no bearing as to why i am calling for him to be recalled. I haven't fell for the myth which suggests he is batting all-rounder based on that fluke innings at all. Im very well aware that he is a bowling all-rounder & he is one of the most seasoned limted overs cricketers in England. Ask some of the New Zealand ealand posters like Howsie & Chewsie how much he impressed in NZ domestic limited overs cricket in recent years. Not many English limited overs cricketers have gone overseas & made a name for themselves.

Secondly bringing up his First class stats is irrelevant, since no one is suggesting he should be anywhere near the test set-up - that would be madness. He is one of the better ODI/T20 bowling all-rounders in the country & with Anderson decline as a ODI bowler, Napier should be his direct replacement.

His bowling style is very much suited to NZ conditions, I believe, which could be a big factor in why he did so well over here. Medium pacers tend to perform the best. But he did go better than most of the NZ seamers so yea.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I think its about time for Kieswetter to make his comeback to the England ODI setup . Glorious century that saw some magnificent strokes from a truly talented cricketer . Cook's 38 off 40 is a pretty decent start to his new era in ODIs .

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
More runs again for Kieswetter, he looks back to his very best. Gregory getting wickets too, that guy has some ability, especially at the death.

----------

I can only see one problem for Kieswetter in ODIs this year, and that is Cook. You look at how Trescothick batted today, getting the early runs, allowing Kieswetter to play naturally, which resulted in him getting big runs. It worries me that Cook could be stodgy at one end, with everyone expecting Kieswetter to go at a strike rate of 200 from the word go at the other end.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I can only see one problem for Kieswetter in ODIs this year, and that is Cook. You look at how Trescothick batted today, getting the early runs, allowing Kieswetter to play naturally, which resulted in him getting big runs. It worries me that Cook could be stodgy at one end, with everyone expecting Kieswetter to go at a strike rate of 200 from the word go at the other end.

Tbh , England never had a devastating opener like Trescothick to succeed him after his retirement . Strauss was pretty close to being aggressive during his regime , Cook should probably look into batting fast , or at least allow Pietersen to open with Kieswetter . That way , Kieswetter can play that natural game of his . But I'm afraid to say that I can only sense the final part of your comment happening .

----------

What could be the best XI ?

Kieswetter
Pietersen
Trott
Cook
Morgan
Buttler -> I really feel that he's the perfect fit for a finisher's role
???
Woakes
Bresnan
Swann
Broad

I just don't see a proper #7 allrounder for England if they are to have a tall batting lineup . Samit Patel possibly . If conditions suit spin , then Briggs can very well have a go in place of Woakes .

----------

The sad reality is that only 2 of England's bowlers actually average below 30 in ODIs - Broad (26) & Swann (25) . That is something backward to say the least , given if you look at sides like Australia who even have their backup bowlers boasting averages less than 25 -> Lee (23) , Johnson (26) , Harris (16) , Bollinger (23) , Mckay (21) , Watson (29) .

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Sky are showing the County Championship match between Sussex and Notts this week. Which should mean players such as; Panesar, Prior and Luke Wright will be on show Sussex and if Notts have their full compliment they should have; Hales, Patel, Swann and Broad should all be on show at some point over the 4 days.

Sureshot

Executive member
Hales has broken jaw (from Ajmal Shahzad bouncer), guessing he's not going to be playing.

Sureshot

Executive member
Can someone please make Bob Willis go away? I'd like to be able to enjoy the cricket without his constant drivel.

Yes, Nash has had a problem with converting 50s to 100s this season, but to say it's plagued him throughout his career, 3 hundreds and 1 fifty (in an admittedly poor season for him outside of OD) last season flies in your face.

Quite frankly, it's one of the best problems a batsman can have. Nonetheless, he is still one of the most annoying commentators in any sport in the UK.

Notts spin twins are doing well, we need to reach 300 at least on this wicket.

This season is all about surviving for us.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Pietersen's failing against left arm spin continue getting out to fellow club mate Zafar Ansari at fenners.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I've said this earlier and will continue saying it again and again and again !

But the one thing that I slightly am disappointed with this tournament is that 90% of the matches are being won by the sides chasing . Each and every target set by the first batting side are being chased down with a couple of overs to spare .

Below are the results of today's round of matches .

cb40j.png

Except for Scotland who are nothing but a collective bunch of failures (lost chasing against the Leics too) , the chasing teams just don't seem to lose . Might as well decide the games after the TOSS then. :facepalm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread