English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Brad Hodge is going to play in the IPL, and LCCC aren't planning to replace him either. I don't know the length of his absence, but it better not be for long.
5 weeks.

I'm really annoyed about this, what is the point of contracts, if players can just get out of them like that. We decided on him as our overseas player, and him going could cost us in the FPT and in the Championship. Lancashire are just allowing it to happen and for him to come back straight away afterwards.

Du Plessis will arrive soon though for you boys, iirc. So if he's anything as good as he's hyped up to be he should be an adequate replacement, despite being a kolpaker.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how he goes. I wish I could actually see his batting though, we'll obviously have at least one game that will be televised, so I hope he does well on those games.

im more gutted about hodge going for the FPT games, as he is such a great one day player, but i think we may be ok in the cc games, as long as horton doesnt pick up an injury that is!!!!

no play due to rain in the Durham UCCE v Lancashire game, which normally wouldnt bother me, but Francois Du Plessis was going to make his dabut today, i really hope there is some play tomorrow!

Not sure why this thread has been renamed and stuck, there are separate threads for Championship and Trophy started now, this was supposed to be a thread about off season transfers.

oh well kev, its evolved! anyway, just heard that horton retired hurt today against Durham UCCE! he was on 121 at the time, really really really really really hope it isnt serious!!!!!!! if it is then it is a massive blow for us

We have a FPT and CC thread, we will probably have a T20 thread when it gets to that point. Use this thread to discuss: Injuries, university games, 2nd XI games, etc. Just not the CC and FPT games, because that defeats the point of having those threads, which I think is a good idea to have competition threads. So try and keep this thread to what I've put above.

Justin Langer on Flintoff [2008]

From BBC.com Sports Page :-

Justin Langer's Somerset column [2008]

By Justin Langer
Former Australia batsman and Somerset captain

I was shocked at the ferocity of the Flintoff onslaught at Old Trafford

If I was the sole selector of the England Test team, Andrew Flintoff could bat at number 11 if it meant playing him.

Since the 2005 Ashes series, it has been my strong opinion that he is the best fast bowler currently playing international cricket - he must play in England's first XI.

In many ways it is a luxury to have the gladiatorial Lancastrian batting at number six and acting as the fourth bowler.

There have been whispers that he needs to score runs to scrape into the England line-up.

But I have never known Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh or Glenn McGrath having to score runs to be selected.

There is no doubt Flintoff is a more talented all-round cricketer than the three legends I have just named, but he is in equal company when it comes to delivering a cricket ball.

Only last week I padded up against Lancashire in the County Championship for Somerset and I can say first hand that Flintoff is absolutely ready to be picked for the first Test against New Zealand even if he's picked as a lower order #7 Batsman below Ambrose & 4th Pace Bowling Option with Sidebottom, the Swinger Anderson & the talented Broad.

One of the joys of retiring from international cricket was knowing that I wouldn't be peppered by the world's best fast bowlers ever again.

This in mind, I was shocked at the ferocity of the Flintoff onslaught at Old Trafford.

As I kept saying to him, I could have understood if I was batting with Matthew Hayden and wearing a green Australia helmet with a kangaroo and emu embroidered on the front.

Flintoff's spell for Lancashire was just as ferocious as any from the Ashes

Instead, I was in a red Somerset helmet with Marcus Trescothick partnering me, so if I was ever in for a reprieve from England's best fast bowler then surely that would have been the time.

History will suggest this couldn't have been further from the truth.

For about an hour I could have been in the boxing ring with Joe Calzaghe and by the end of it I had literally copped a hammering.

My ribs, elbow and chest were so bruised I could have been confused for Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas!

Both Marcus and I agreed his spell was one of the great ones either of us had ever faced and while it was ugly - and at times intimidating - it is what we miss about playing international cricket on its toughest days.

The thing that distinguishes Flintoff from the rest is every time the captain throws him the ball, the opposition team sit on the edge of their seats hoping he doesn't destroy the game during his spell.

Last week at Old Trafford was no different as if Australia were playing an Ashes Test match.

The opposition may have been different - but the feeling was identical.

There is no doubt the big fiery quick must prove his fitness but, from what I have seen, he is ready and he would be in my team every single day of the week.

He had that hungry look in his eye and a hungry and inspired legend must be selected every time they are fit because they simply win games by their presence and skill.

From Somerset,
JL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't think it was worthy of a thread in itself, so just put it in here.

horton only has a tight hamstring from the match against Durham uni so will be ok for our next match! thank god!

Corey Collymore has been signed by Sussex and will replace Ryan Harris who cant play because of contract issues. Collymore signed a one year deal as a kolpak player.
Good signing by Sussex, Collymore has plenty of experience and in English conditions he should be a handful.

I'm happy with that signing, I heard a rumour that it was going to be Collymore. He's not express pace, but he does have control. I look forward to seeing him don a Sussex shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread