English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Darryl Mitchell for England , anybody?

I'd be really controversial - I'd consider making him Test captain. The sort of gritty batsman who won't give his wicket away, and the best tactician in the Championship.

Also, Gareth Roderick for the 'keeper's spot? Unbelievable keeper and quality quality batsman.

Over the weekend T20s I learnt that Steve Davies isn't keeping much for Surrey this year, so he can 'concentrate on his batting' with Wilson taking the gloves. That's a crazy decision with a Test match Keeping spot up for grabs.

Over the weekend T20s I learnt that Steve Davies isn't keeping much for Surrey this year, so he can 'concentrate on his batting' with Wilson taking the gloves. That's a crazy decision with a Test match Keeping spot up for grabs.

Except that his batting was suffering horribly while Keeping and since England will pick the keeper that can bat the best (even if his keeping isn't as good as someone else) focusing on his batting for a bit is probably the best way to get him back into contention.

I don't see how they're linked. He's played brilliantly for years whilst also keeping, sure he can be out of form with the bat, but how can they say that's down to him keeping wicket? I'd argue it's more down to the pressure of being one of only two decent batsmen in the lineup most weeks (with Smith). And with the way the England management got in Buttler's ear to make him move so he could keep wicket more, there's no way they're going to pick someone who isn't first choice at his County. Even if he did put a ton of runs on the board.

I feel for Davies, Surrey have made him give up any chance he did have of making the Test team.

Hmm probably didn't express myself clearly. What I meant was that (and speaking from personal, although less high-class experience) when his batting is struggling, it is hard to focus on improving it while also keeping for long periods. England aren't going to pick a keeper who doesn't have form with the bat, so if he drops keeping, regains his batting form and then returns to the gloves, he has a much better chance of making the test team.

I agree him dropping the gloves is not helping his selection, but its not the be all and end all.

I'm saying it's not making a difference. If he'd had periods of averaging 50+ without the gloves and 30 or so with them, I'd agree with you totally, that it's for the best. But by the same token, would Surrey have taken the gloves off of him if they were putting a Second XI player in his place? Because I doubt it. They've clearly decided what is more important for them, i.e. whether they rate Wilson as better or not, or merely what to justify his (Wilson's) place in the team more. Which to be fair, is their decision.

All I'm saying is, that them doing it now, will cost Davies of having any chance. I appreciate he's not in form anyway, but the fact that he now has all the pressure on his batting (because that's the only reason he is in the team now) probably doesn't help either. Either way, it's clearly not working or doing him any favours.

Another T20 win for Lancs last night, Karl Brown with a career best of 67:clap

I see Kent have moved Bell-Drummond to open with Key and Northeast down to 3. Interesting decision as Bell-Drummond has made the number three spot his own and Northeast has been really poor at the top this season. The problem with Kent is that we don't really have anyone else to open the batting alongside Key.

Solid day in the Championship for Somerset. Good to see Compton and Hildreth back amongst the runs. Hopefully they can push on tomorrow towards a big score.

There's only one spinner who is doing well so far this season and that's young Adam Riley of Kent but he's not going to be called up just yet of course. IF England have to pick a spinner due to pitch conditions then i'd give Tredwell a go. He's done ok in the ODI's so far, so you may as well stick with him.

There's only one spinner who is doing well so far this season and that's young Adam Riley of Kent but he's not going to be called up just yet of course. IF England have to pick a spinner due to pitch conditions then i'd give Tredwell a go. He's done ok in the ODI's so far, so you may as well stick with him.

Except that Kent dropped him from First Class cricket. How can you pick a spinner for test cricket when his county don't even trust him for first class?

Nah if Tredwell plays tests for England i'd puke. Since AUS smashed him about last summer ODIs, he has looked generally average & ENG are only holding on to him because of no obvious challenger emerging.

Tredwell is just a series battering away from some team, to be blasted out of international cricket for good.

Users who are viewing this thread