English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Nah if Tredwell plays tests for England i'd puke. Since AUS smashed him about last summer ODIs, he has looked generally average & ENG are only holding on to him because of no obvious challenger emerging.

Tredwell is just a series battering away from some team, to be blasted out of international cricket for good.

I used to be a Tredwell-as-an-understudy-to-Swann fan because he performed quite well when Swann was injured. But since taking on the role (in white ball anyway) full time I've become more disillusioned with him as a viable candidate. It seems he's just too defensive and not aiming for wickets and more gets them by happy circumstance than plan (although Sangkkara's wicket in the last ODI was one that he had planned). He could just do with more wickets like that one to remain in contention.

Except that Kent dropped him from First Class cricket. How can you pick a spinner for test cricket when his county don't even trust him for first class?

I'd still give him a go because he's currently in and around the national team. If England didn't rate him then he would've been carted off a long time ago.

I used to be a Tredwell-as-an-understudy-to-Swann fan because he performed quite well when Swann was injured. But since taking on the role (in white ball anyway) full time I've become more disillusioned with him as a viable candidate. It seems he's just too defensive and not aiming for wickets and more gets them by happy circumstance than plan (although Sangkkara's wicket in the last ODI was one that he had planned). He could just do with more wickets like that one to remain in contention.

In ODI cricket i guess you can get away without having an attacking spinner, providing that you have good wicket-taking quick bowling options.

ENG to some degree have those fast-bowlers, so Tredwell's deficiencies tend to be masked

Some big runs from Borthwick, Moeen Ali & Samit Patel today.

Still no sign of KP at Surrey, where is he?

Good to see that Lancs, have signed a half decent batsmen in Usman Khawaja for the rest of the summer :D

Yeah your sides batting this season in the 4 day game has been very poor.

Do you know what's the latest on Kyle Jarvis? I know his bowling performances had been pretty poor but wasn't sure if he had been dropped due to form or injury.

Do you know what's the latest on Kyle Jarvis? I know his bowling performances had been pretty poor but wasn't sure if he had been dropped due to form or injury.

He has been playing second XI cricket. He was always wayward at times, but it looks like he's lost the knack of taking wickets he had.

Just switched on the T20 to hear Andrew Strauss saying that a main aim of a County should be to produce England players. I'd argue that a lot of the Counties see no value in that. Somerset produced an England player in Buttler and it's done them no favours, because the England management then got into his ear to force him to move. I also doubt that Leicestershire have seen producing the likes of Taylor and Broad as too great, considering they plough lots of money into producing them, only to see them moving to more 'fashionable' counties when they start to do well and get into the England mix.

and also because of Central Contracts they might play three county games a year, if they are lucky.

Well, the actual central contracts aren't too bad, because at least then a County knows that a player will be missing and they can use that budget on someone else. It's when they get players coming into the England side, whose wages aren't covered, yet England get a say on how often they can be used. Which I imagine happens a lot for players in the ODI squads, as the full contracts seem to be more for the Test players.

I think that's what annoyed a lot of people about things like the Lions games in recent years, in that teams with small squads were losing key players, for a nothing game really. I appreciate England want players produced and Counties love seeing their own products going on to represent England, but something needs to be done to make it worthwhile for the Counties, rather than causing them problems down the line.

Amazing feat from Alfonso... 4 wickets in 4 balls... WOW... Somerset need to win this match.

Indeed. Not to mention the wicket in between his 3rd and 4th wickets and Somerset took 5 for no run. I've never seen that at all.

Whoa, what's happened? Half way through the season and little old Somerset, with no players good enough for England, are top of the County Championship. ;)

Finally off to Old trafford again for a t-20 match on friday. only been once and that was when i was sitting my GCSEs

7 years ago. so old.

:eek:

Finally off to Old trafford again for a t-20 match on friday. only been once and that was when i was sitting my GCSEs

7 years ago. so old.

:eek:

Tell me about it...its approaching 10 years since my GCSEs!

Wonder if you'll get to see Freddie play - let us know how he looks if you do!

Users who are viewing this thread