English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
I know that, but doesn't stop him from looking like a fine bowler.

Kabir Ali has picked up 3/40 in the first innings and 2/24 in the second innings. With his new Shoaib Akhtar-esque action, he seems to have become quicker and more of a wicket taker. With a fit Simon Jones at first change and the more than capable Magoffin as support, I expect Worcestershire to make a late dash for the Division Two title.

Slightly curious to see Chris Jordan absent from Surrey's final few T20s and the CC match against Kent. Although a shame, I suspect that he has picked up an injury. Meanwhile, Harmison gets a chance to leap out of enforced anomynity by taking some wickets in Yorkshire's second innings. And finally, Chris Martin completes a five wicket haul for Warwickshire, continuing to be a superb pick after fine economy in the T20.

3 of those were wickets of Tail Enders though, but they all count, he's bowled really well this year, has to be in contention for a place in the Test side if he keeps going.
He would have a shout for the touring squads this winter. Personally, I would take him to the West Indies. The pitches will suit him there.

I know that, but doesn't stop him from looking like a fine bowler.

Kabir Ali has picked up 3/40 in the first innings and 2/24 in the second innings. With his new Shoaib Akhtar-esque action, he seems to have become quicker and more of a wicket taker. With a fit Simon Jones at first change and the more than capable Magoffin as support, I expect Worcestershire to make a late dash for the Division Two title.

Slightly curious to see Chris Jordan absent from Surrey's final few T20s and the CC match against Kent. Although a shame, I suspect that he has picked up an injury. Meanwhile, Harmison gets a chance to leap out of enforced anomynity by taking some wickets in Yorkshire's second innings. And finally, Chris Martin completes a five wicket haul for Warwickshire, continuing to be a superb pick after fine economy in the T20.

Chris Jordan has indeed picked up an injury, Looks to be back soon though.

I hate Rob Key's techinque its horrible, Denly looks like a nice bat in contrast.

Key's technique works though, it may not look great but it does the job. Denly looks OK, but I feel he has a few technical flaws which he will have to iron out before being considered for England. He tends to be weak when the ball bounces around his pads. I've not seen him work one off his pads when there's been any bounce or on a good length, and facing Harmison will be a real test for him. He certainly has potential, just needs to gain the consistency and start making runs in the FC competitions as well as the OD tournaments.

Benkenstein has given Kent a real chance to make a big total here, Pollock and Killeen are the exact 2 bowlers that Denly and Key will have wanted to start against. I think Harmison and Plunkett should have opened. Plunkett looks really good, has really developed since his last England games against West Indies. His bowling arm is straighter and the lines of his action are far more improved. He was falling away in his action badly when playing for England, which meant his accuracy was poor. He looks fitter, stronger and has a far better action now. Signs look good for him.

Kent set for 300 here I expect. With a very long batting line-up with the top scoring batsman in the tournament in next it looks very good for Kent. If Denly and Key bat out 20-25 overs then a perfect platform will be set for the likes of Van Jaasveld, Azhar and Kemp to have a smack and hit some big runs. Durham desperately need wickets here, Plunkett and Harmison are vitally important.

Update: Told ya Harmison was key, great bowling in this over. He's sorted his length out, and is bowling with some real pace. Well bowled Steve.

Also, well played Joe Denly, well deserved 50, hope he goes on to make a ton.

Last edited:
i didnt see much of harmison bowling today, saw his first over though, how quick was he bowling ? over 90mph ?

A good few deliveries were hitting close to 95mph, he was bowling incredibly fast. Probably faster in terms of average speed than Saj Mahmood was in the Twenty20 Cup.

woah ! hes obviously getting back into form then lol, england shoulda picked him to face sa, we need someone who can bowl at that pace, well anderson, broad and sidebottom can all bowl quick, but id have harmison over one of them

I wouldn't. If anyone should have come in it should have been Flintoff or Jones. Both of them are capable of 90MPH+ (Anyone know how fast Jones has been bowling recently?) and would also provide the consistency of line and length, with the added bonus of reverse swing. Harmison's blown his chance at getting back in the Test Side I think. He was awful against New Zealand in the first Test of the away series and was rightly dropped. 1 good performance doesn't warrant his place in the test side. Monty's going to be the key against the Saffas anyway, they don't play spin brilliantly.

harmisons been bowling good in all forms of cricket though for durham, got a hattrick against sussex i think, in a 4 day game, been getting a few runs down the order as he usually does.

I've been following the county quicks somewhat throughout the summer and big Steve seems to have a yard on all of them. Watching the highlights, I saw him hit 93.9mph, which is mnore than I have seen Saj or Simon Jones hit this year and Flintoff was only around 78-85mph in his county match, albeit on a slow pitch.

yeah the last county match with lancashire on sky sports chappel was only about 75-80 mph, i know hes not fast but that was really slow, even fred count get about 85 regular, but this year, at the start of the season before he got injured he was getting up to 91 mph. saj has bowled 90-92 for a while now, and hes got more control than hes ever had at the moment, and i think he is going to keep getting better

I have always liked Simon Jones. It something about him which makes him my favourite English pace bowler alongside James Anderson. I always enjoy watching him and always wish him to do well. It's why I hated it when he got injured.

Quality bowler imo.

Lou Vincent will be at Lancs for the rest of the season, replacing Brad Hodge who's going back to Melbourne for personal reasons. Still annoyed at him going to the IPL, but can understand this time why he's not coming back having read on the Lancashire website.

I have always liked Simon Jones. It something about him which makes him my favourite English pace bowler alongside James Anderson. I always enjoy watching him and always wish him to do well. It's why I hated it when he got injured.

Quality bowler imo.

He is a match winner if you ask me. Would have been there with the best if not for injury.

Users who are viewing this thread