English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
yea it still might be early for him to get a call up for the England team but it wouldn't hurt the west indies to give him a try. and up until this season started he hasn't really gotten a chance to play every game and in the past few weeks he has turned it on.

We've just signed Mohammad Sami, seeing as we have no overseas any more because of the retirement of Mushy.

Good signing in your opinion or do you follow the common consensus of him being a waste of space who is over the hill in terms of pace.

Sami, oh dear, you could get way better than that for the same wages.

He had a short spell at Kent a few years back when he was full of promise (2004 I think) IMO he kept us in Div1. Hopefully he can do the same for Sussex (Well as long as Sussex don't stay up at the expense of Kent that is!) as I really enjoy my trips down to Hove, would be a shame if we weren't in the same division next season.

Good signing in your opinion or do you follow the common consensus of him being a waste of space who is over the hill in terms of pace.

I wouldn't have him in a test side. County cricket is different. We lack pace. I think Wright is our fastest at about 85. Liddle is normally about 84. But with Lewry, RMJ and Collymore down at mid to high 70s, we do lack something a bit different. I'd say those 3 mentioned before are our best pace bowlers. But we should be concentrating on turning wickets, because Rayner is dangerous on a spinning wicket.

I think he'll do okay, can't say I've seen him lately, though.

Sureshot added 5 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Kev said:
as I really enjoy my trips down to Hove

That's only because of me though :cool:

I know you enjoy picking me up from the station even more ;) I can't believe how utterly pointless that was!

Worst decision for Sussex to sign Sami in their history.

Every English batsman will be in form by the end of next season. Maybe even Kaneria will get his average above 20 :p

I wouldn't have him in a test side. County cricket is different. We lack pace. I think Wright is our fastest at about 85. Liddle is normally about 84. But with Lewry, RMJ and Collymore down at mid to high 70s, we do lack something a bit different. I'd say those 3 mentioned before are our best pace bowlers. But we should be concentrating on turning wickets, because Rayner is dangerous on a spinning wicket.

I think he'll do okay, can't say I've seen him lately, though.

He is no longer consistently at 90mph as he once was, but will be able to add some pace to your attack, as he very occasionally can get up to that pace. I've always rated Sami's potential in swinging conditions, but thought that he was always used poorly and should have been used in short bursts, similar to Simon Jones, after his new ball spell.

Joseph Denly scored very well again today. Put on 170ish with Van Jaarsveld, who scored 93. Denly made 98 off 97 with 2 sixes and 10 fours. He's in brilliant form at the moment, and has to be considered for England. He's young, has tremendous potential, and scores quickly, could possibly build a brilliant partnership with Alastair Cook in the Test side, and possibly Matty Prior in the ODi side. I'd get him in now, give him time to develop, like Cook's been given the chance too. England have some cracking young players knocking about in county cricket.

I'd rather give Denly a run out than this Horton guy who keeps being talked about by a few members. Denly seems, from the reports and readings, to be a player who would be good for Cook in the Tests, much like Trescothick was for Strauss. Denly would look to get the innings off nicely, be up to 30 in 5 or 6 overs, then let Cook flourish. I like the idea, and yes, he isn't so young that introducing him would ruin his potential either!

You play ICC so much and you don't even know who Paul Horton is :p. He got his break last year and he got Lancashire player of the season last season I think. Here's his Cricinfo profile:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/15338.html

I know who he is Mani! God, give me some credit!

I just see Denly as a better replacement for Strauss in the test side, and possibly Bell in the ODi side, but i'd stick with tests at the moment as the ODi team are on a high.

Denly's highly regarded amongst alot of the cricketing community. Alot of the Kent players see Denly as the next big star of International Cricket. He's worked on his technique alot, and he's now scoring consistent runs. The selectors would be mad to ignore Denly and take Vaughan to India in his place. Vaughan's not confident at the moment, and I think he expects to just walk straight back into the team now that he's come back from his break to Disneyland Paris. If the selectors wish to remove Strauss from the team, then I'd consider taking Denly and Horton to India in his place.

Strauss is over the hill I think, he had his purple patch at the start of his career, but since then has been found out majorly by teams around the world. I think it's time for a change in the Test side and time to bring abit of young blood into the team. I'd also consider taking Collingwood out and bringing Shah in. I think the Test side has reached a place of cosyness and I think Pietersen needs to shake that up abit, take Strauss out, and also ignore Vaughan until he makes some runs in County Cricket. It seems to me like Vaughan will just waltz back into the team even without proving himself in county cricket, I reckon he could fail in the remainder of the County Season and still be in the Test Squad for India.

My England Test team would therefore be:
Cook
Denly
Shah
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

Broad's going to be a brilliant cricketer, so needs to be in the team until the Ashes to develop his test bowling. I also think we have the chance to carry at least 1 bowler, now that we have Harmison and Flintoff back, meaning that Broad can gain experience and learn his game before the 2009 Ashes whereby he can unleash on Australia and we'll have a full fledged 5man attack similar to that of the 2005 Ashes. I definitely see Broad as much more of a long term player as opposed to Sidebottom. I'd honestly go for Jones over Sidey as well.

See its an attitude like your good self Dan that annoys me. What has Ryan Sidebottom done wrong to see him ommited from your side in place of an injury prone Simon Jones?

Sidebottom, by all accounts, if he goes to India will get some good swing in the morning session and in the last hour or so of the final session. I think he will be, and has been, a pure asset for England since May when he first was "re-born."

Apart from that comment, the team you posted i agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread