English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
In all fairness to Div2, he is facing Surrey, and their bowling attack is probably the worst in the division.

RSB > Ramprakash. :D Ramps out for 33 against Essex, Ravi's currently 108*. So his 2 innings since he returned to Essex have been an unbeaten and match-winning 52* and now 108*. Think it proves that runs in Div 2 mean very little on the International stage.

No, I disagree. You cannot say that runs in Div 2 always mean very little, it changes from person to person. Someone like Bopara who has struggled as the level increases (from West Indies to Australia) does not represent all Division Two players. I'm sure a few will be able to adapt to increased standards; it changes from player to player and from here you must make a judgement call.

I feel you are too willing to apply a hard-and-fast rule whereas it is far more complex than that.

(I know you said 'very little' rather than 'no' but I still believe you were trying to create an all encompassing statement).

manee added 3 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

In all fairness to Div2, he is facing Surrey, and their bowling attack is probably the worst in the division.

Yeh; definitely a weak attack. Dernbach is a scattergun who serves up half volleys, Collins often lacks bite, Linley is quite slow, Schofield can be shocking and Meaker is very quick but lacks movement.

Hamish Marshall picked up four wickets what the......

Gentle medium pace. Our team's captain played a few games against him a couple of years back and said he's actually quite a decent bowler, isn't that quick though.

Hamish Marshall picked up four wickets what the......
It's raining there now, so I suspect very overcast conditions beforehand (Nothing unusual in England!!). Obviously ideal conditions for medium pacers. I'm pretty sure I've seen Marshall bowl in the past and when conditions suit he's pretty handy.

Michael Lumb made another quickfire half century for Hampshire yesterday. Takes him to 985 limited overs runs this season, with 2 centuries and 9 fifties in 24 innings. Looks a class act at the crease as well, I'd liked to have seen him and Ed Joyce in that CT squad ahead of Denly and Morgan, with Trott replacing the injured Flintoff.

Franklin finished up on 97* yesterday, raises his FC average this season past 40. He's also averaging 29 with the ball which isn't too bad. It's a shame he isn't playing in the 1st division though.

How does he stack up with other all-rounders this season, any England members know?

Quick comparison with a few players:

Luke Wright: 527 runs at 47.90 and 21 wickets at 33 for Sussex
James Tredwell: 389 runs at 35.36 and 57 wickets at 20.00 for Kent
Graham Napier: 306 runs at 43.71 and 20 wickets at 32.75 for Essex
Liam Plunkett: 279 runs at 46.50 and 28 wickets at 25.64 for Durham
Ryan Ten Doeschate: 591 runs at 42.21 and 21 wickets at 39.85 for Essex
Sean Ervine: 703 runs at 43.93 and 10 wickets at 59.00 for Hampshire
Adil Rashid: 387 runs at 77.40 and 26 wickets at 31.46 for Yorkshire
Tim Bresnan: 372 runs at 31.00 and 24 wickets at 37.87 for Yorkshire

If anyone can think of anymore I'll add 'em to the list, just a few for ya to compare to Howsie :)

Wow Adil. Plunkett seems to have regained some form, Durham have an amazing attack when England aren't playing.

Quick comparison with a few players:

Luke Wright: 527 runs at 47.90 and 21 wickets at 33 for Sussex
James Tredwell: 389 runs at 35.36 and 57 wickets at 20.00 for Kent
Graham Napier: 306 runs at 43.71 and 20 wickets at 32.75 for Essex
Liam Plunkett: 279 runs at 46.50 and 28 wickets at 25.64 for Durham
Ryan Ten Doeschate: 591 runs at 42.21 and 21 wickets at 39.85 for Essex
Sean Ervine: 703 runs at 43.93 and 10 wickets at 59.00 for Hampshire
Adil Rashid: 387 runs at 77.40 and 26 wickets at 31.46 for Yorkshire
Tim Bresnan: 372 runs at 31.00 and 24 wickets at 37.87 for Yorkshire

If anyone can think of anymore I'll add 'em to the list, just a few for ya to compare to Howsie :)

Thanks mate. Looking at those stats Franklin seems to line up pretty nicely. He's probably (On stats) one of the better seam bowling all-rounders and his batting has picked up as the season has progressed.

I'd say Cricinfo know FA about a Hampshire cricketer who I've seen numerous times over the last 3-4 season. :D

Good to see the youngsters are getting used in the Pro 40 Griffiths bowled extremely well yesterday as did Liam Dawson. Finn's going to be playing tonight as well am looking forward to that as I feel he has great promise and Parry's playing for Lancs who also seems to be pretty decent.
Malan's is also playing and he looks a decent prospect for the future.

It's good to see that England do have this young talent getting played rather than teams full of Kolpaks.

Malan's had an awful, awful season. I saw him last season and was very impressed, especially in the T20 form of the game, and have been tracking his performances all year. He was dropped from the side for a few games iirc, and had an awful time in the FP Trophy, averaging just 12 from 8 games. Didn't fair much better in the T20 Cup, averaging 18, but he's had solid FC season (averaging 38 but with no centuries) and he's done ok in the Pro40 so far. Was hoping he'd perform much better.

I do think he's got some talent though, and certainly looked good when he made that T20 hundred against Lancs, and then also looked good in the Stanford series as well. Just needs to start putting some consistent performances in, as he's certainly not built on a good last season.

You're right about Griffiths as well, looked really good last night. Good pace, bowls straight and a good death bowler. Looked a talent. Have to keep an eye on him.

Users who are viewing this thread