English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
There will always be players who are in that gray area of dominating domestic cricket but failing at the International level.

As much as you rag on the English domestic system War, its easily the best after the Aussie one and the two are miles above all the rest.

It seems to me that you're changing what you're saying here. Of course everybody would love to see 21 year old English players come in and take their places, but they're not for a reason. Those players you mentioned are there on merit.

Exactly. The fact that Caddick, Hick, Ramprakash, Ealham, Cork have not been forced out a good while ago by any good young players in their various counties. Isn't helping our local cricket. All they are doing is increasing their their career stats.

Off all the young batsmen like Hildreth, Gidman, Bopara, Gale, etc. Who have the domestic runs. As we saw recently with Collingwood out injured. All where ignored for Morgan who doesn't have a strong FC cricket. Imagine if Morgan didn't decide to play for us, who would we have chosen.

Your comparisons with Australia and South African domestic systems seem odd to me. I mean sure, they don't have as many overseas players, but I'd say that's down to how many teams there are.

Which is why when talking about domestic cricket here. Its division 1 mainly, which of course is the elite level of FC cricket. Division 2 performances generally aren't taken seriously, because its piss poor.

Yet, you still saw Jason Gillespie go home after the 2005 Ashes, where he looked terrible and take wickets at 21 in the Pura Cup. Then you see the likes of Darren Lehmann, still feasting on Aussie bowling attacks into his later years, so for me it happens everywhere.

But at least Gillespie went back to a '"strong" Pura Cup that 05/06 season. Which generally is on par with/close to the level of international cricket over the past 20 years. As it proved when he returned to the AUS team vs BANG IN 2006, he clearly had improved.

He was very much in the running to the play the 1st Ashes test @ Brisbane 2006 if you remember.

Lehmann yes he scored runs in FC cricket passed his international peak. But thats an anomoly really for AUS domestic cricket. That genereally doesn't happen. Since Langer was released by Western Australia after he retired, but yet came over here to Somerset & managed to do well.

The issue on overseas/kolpak players is a different one to this age debate for me.

They are all connected to the same issue - which is lack of quality depth. The fact the so many counties readily accept kolpal players esepcially from SA, shows fairly clearly enough quality young local players aren't pushing for a place.

War added 5 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

There will always be players who are in that gray area of dominating domestic cricket but failing at the International level.

As much as you rag on the English domestic system War, its easily the best after the Aussie one and the two are miles above all the rest.

Nah South African Franchise cricket is definately better than ours.

What makes our doemstic cricket still very prestigious. Is that is still well supported by fans & sponsors. While players can genuienly make a solid living player circket every season compared to other domestic cricket in NZ, WI, IND, PAK, SRI. But the standard of cricket in English domestic cricket isn't that much better than that of IND, NZ, WI, PAK, SRI.

I completely disagree, I think the standard of English domestic cricket is WAY higher than that of PAK and SL.

I even cringe at the thought of domestic games in PAK having 1st class status

I completely disagree, I think the standard of English domestic cricket is WAY higher than that of PAK and SL.

I even cringe at the thought of domestic games in PAK having 1st class status

Its not just the main domestic competition over their. Look at the contrasting talents that England have compared to those countries in Under-19 WCs to Pakistan & SRI. ENG are always behind.

Pakistan FC structure given its run by the companies, instead of provinces playing each other doesn't help finding natural talent. Plus of course that cricket board is fairly corrupted by local bureaucrats & alot of nepotism is involved in player selection. But PAK certainly have more naturally talented players than us.

AUS>SA>>>>>>>ENG=IND=PAK>>SRI=WI=NZ. Is how i'd rate the FC competitions

Exactly. The fact that Caddick, Hick, Ramprakash, Ealham, Cork have not been forced out a good while ago by any good young players in their various counties. Isn't helping our local cricket. All they are doing is increasing their their career stats.

Off all the young batsmen like Hildreth, Gidman, Bopara, Gale, etc. Who have the domestic runs. As we saw recently with Collingwood out injured. All where ignored for Morgan who doesn't have a strong FC cricket. Imagine if Morgan didn't decide to play for us, who would we have chosen.
They're not being pushed out because there aren't better players to come in, that's my point. What's the point in Surrey playing a 20 year old batsman in place of Ramprakash, when it makes their team and therefore the competition weaker? Like I said, if the players are good enough, then they will play, as has been seen every season. Older players aren't there just to make up the numbers, it's because they are good enough.
Which is why when talking about domestic cricket here. Its division 1 mainly, which of course is the elite level of FC cricket. Division 2 performances generally aren't taken seriously, because its piss poor.
So replacing the older pros with youngsters that aren't as good would improve that? I doubt it.
But at least Gillespie went back to a '"strong" Pura Cup that 05/06 season. Which generally is on par with/close to the level of international cricket over the past 20 years. As it proved when he returned to the AUS team vs BANG IN 2006, he clearly had improved.

He was very much in the running to the play the 1st Ashes test @ Brisbane 2006 if you remember.

Lehmann yes he scored runs in FC cricket passed his international peak. But thats an anomoly really for AUS domestic cricket. That genereally doesn't happen. Since Langer was released by Western Australia after he retired, but yet came over here to Somerset & managed to do well.
I'm sorry, but Gillespie taking wickets against that Bangladesh side is not proof of anything. To make a comparison, it's similar to Ntini. Both looked really bad in Test cricket, so went to play domestically and looked good. Yet you've written off Ntini saying that it's because of the standard. So if he plays again and takes 10 wickets against Zimbabwe does that make you change your mind on how easy he is finding it in England? I doubt it.

They are all connected to the same issue - which is lack of quality depth. The fact the so many counties readily accept kolpal players esepcially from SA, shows fairly clearly enough quality young local players aren't pushing for a place.
I agree, there is a lack of players coming through, but that's not because of the Kolpak players now. The Kolpak players are brought in because there is no other choice for the Counties, because they need as good a team as possible. The way I look at it, is it's better to have Kolpak players raising the standard, making the talented young players (Taylor, Davies etc.) work hard for their runs and being forced to adjust to a higher standard, than having them play against a bunch of inexperienced bowlers, which would be pointless. Kolpak players raise the standards, which seems to be what you want. It's not ideal, but that's the way it is right now.

80 off 33 :eek:

Why can't he do that in internationals :facepalm

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

It would be almost fair to say that the NZers have done the best in the T20...

I'm guessing Leicester bowled a spinner at Ross Taylor? Not the best Idea .

I'm guessing Leicester bowled a spinner at Ross Taylor? Not the best Idea .

It can be a good idea occasionally, if the spinner manages to trap him for about 3 deliveries in a row, he will try and hit out and either miss and get stumped, miss and get bowled, miss and get out LBW, or sky it really high and get caught.

It can be a good idea occasionally, if the spinner manages to trap him for about 3 deliveries in a row, he will try and hit out and either miss and get stumped, miss and get bowled, miss and get out LBW, or sky it really high and get caught.
Yeah but that tends to happen more in international T20 more often than domestic. If only he stopped dominating domestic and started doing some good on the international stage I'd be much more happy!

Anyone know where to get highlights? I really don't want to go to each countys individual webpage to dig up highlights of twenty20

Yeah but that tends to happen more in international T20 more often than domestic. If only he stopped dominating domestic and started doing some good on the international stage I'd be much more happy!

Agree, he does so well in the HRV Twenty20 Cup, the IPL and now in England, why can't he do it when he's playing for NZ :facepalm An average of 35 at a strike rate of 150 is probably one of the best in the world.

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Anyone know where to get highlights? I really don't want to go to each countys individual webpage to dig up highlights of twenty20

Nope, I just normally look at the scorecards on Cricinfo :p

Taylor is one of the top five domestic T20 batsmen in all competitions, but when it comes to international T20's he just can't preform.
It's probably to do with the standard of bowling, I've noticed in the IPL he often takes apart poor Indian attacks, and the Leicestershire attack is full of unknowns except Hoggard.
It just seems at the INT level bowlers can work him out, bowl him three good balls with a spinner and he'll so something extremly stupid.
Even in tests if he just plays sensibly he's one of the best in the world, but the moment he try's to slog sweep he gets out time and time again.
That's kind of similar to Pollard, he'll take apart DOM attacks, but most of the time looks all at see at the INT level with bat and ball.

Anyone know why James Franklin is opening the batting?

Pinch hitting? Like how Vaas was opening the batting?

Users who are viewing this thread