English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Taylor, McCullum and Marshall all went on rampages in the latest round of matches.
Franklin on the other hand was the only Kiwi (I saw) to fail.

Yeah Gloucs couldn't even defend 199, why's Butler not playing?

He didn't play too well in his first few games, except one good game where he took three wickets, IIRC he got kind of smashed.

They're not being pushed out because there aren't better players to come in, that's my point. What's the point in Surrey playing a 20 year old batsman in place of Ramprakash, when it makes their team and therefore the competition weaker? Like I said, if the players are good enough, then they will play, as has been seen every season. Older players aren't there just to make up the numbers, it's because they are good enough.

Back in the 90s & much of this 2000s era. Thats what happened in State cricket in Australia. You had a lot of young 20-25 year old dominating the batting & bowling averages season after season. Older players who had played tests where/state vetereans where phased out. Thats what made state cricket & AUS so strong.

The fact that we have old test discrads from ENG & around the world coming to our domestic competition & doing well may help the counties be competitive. But it isn't creating a domestic competition that is solid breeding ground to prepare the younger players for ODI, Tests & T20s.

But yes also young players aren't being produced that why these older players have to be kept on wasting time by the respective counties. We have grassroots problem also.

So replacing the older pros with youngsters that aren't as good would improve that? I doubt it.

No. If you recall we didn't always have Division 1 & Division 2 in county cricket. It changed in the late 90s or early 2000s (cant remember fully) to seperate divisions, because it was becoming obvious that some of the counties where pretty poor. Due to fact that not alot of talent is available.

So we have DIV 1 being the main FC league. While DIV 2 is almost like a lower league.

I'm sorry, but Gillespie taking wickets against that Bangladesh side is not proof of anything. To make a comparison, it's similar to Ntini. Both looked really bad in Test cricket, so went to play domestically and looked good. Yet you've written off Ntini saying that it's because of the standard. So if he plays again and takes 10 wickets against Zimbabwe does that make you change your mind on how easy he is finding it in England? I doubt it.

I would have to see Ntini bowl in such a hypoteticall situation to make a judgement.

Of course usually most performances againts teams like ZIM & BANG aren't taken seriously. But you just had to watch Dizzy bowl in that series vs BANG (the first test BANG almost won i remind you). While all the AUS bowlers where struggling, he bowled beautifully & defiantely looked much sharper in 2006 - than he was during the 2005 Ashes.

I agree, there is a lack of players coming through, but that's not because of the Kolpak players now. The Kolpak players are brought in because there is no other choice for the Counties, because they need as good a team as possible. The way I look at it, is it's better to have Kolpak players raising the standard, making the talented young players (Taylor, Davies etc.) work hard for their runs and being forced to adjust to a higher standard, than having them play against a bunch of inexperienced bowlers, which would be pointless. Kolpak players raise the standards, which seems to be what you want. It's not ideal, but that's the way it is right now.

But none of the Kolpak players are internationally quality. Excpet for Jaques Rudolph who probably would have been playing for SA & Ryan McLaren. All of them are SA test discards.

Same thing can be said about West Indians. Collymore, Collins, Gibson (not sure if he was kolpak though). Although id say Collins would be picked by the windies now.

They may bring their past international experience to the young players. But given they themselves aren't of current international quality. Our local youngster bowling & battig againts, week-in & week-out isn't the best preparation for international cricket.

McCullum's doing brilliant for Lancashire. All of this experience opening the bowling will be doing him the world of good and he's turning out to be a brilliant limited overs spinner/all rounder. He got the big wicket of Ross Taylor as well I see, good news!

i really wish they showed this on tv. i'm pretty sure about 80% of the black caps are playing english county. shame for them as english counties aren't going to be in the champions league :sarcasm

There are nine New Zealanders in it, but some of them aren't Blackcaps, like Marshall, O'Brien and Adams.

Ross Taylor
Durham Dynamos

Brendon McCullum
Sussex Sharks

Ian Butler, James Franklin and Hamish Marshall
Gloucestershire Gladiators

Iain O?Brien
Middlesex Panthers

Scott Styris
Essex Eagles

Nathan McCullum
Lancashire Lightning

Andre Adams
Notts Outlaws

New Zealand Cricket - Kiwis to star in Friends Provident T20 competition

We post 239 against Glamorgan at Hove in a T20. Prior with 117 from 55, 15 fours and 5 sixes, Nash hits 60 from 27, 7 fours and 3 sixes.

:eek:

Do Worcs and Warwickshire have some deal with Sky for their games to nearly always be on tv? It's unreal, they seem to get on TV so much more than other counties.

Scottie mother****ing Styris! 106 off 50 balls, that's not like him.

Users who are viewing this thread