Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

I do notice that conditions don't seem to matter a whole lot, for better or worse. it's impossible to get a wicket like the england v india game, batting is always rock solid no matter how flat the wicket is. I'd probably be a lot happier with getting out so often if it was because it was a greentop but it would be nice to also get a completely rubbish wicket from time to time.

then thing is if the game had lots of movement off the seem you'd be utterly ruined while batting. same if the "magic ball" existed, that would be great, not only do you get out anytime you pull, anytime you cut, a lot of the time when you don't nail the timing, a lot of the time if you choose the wrong shot in the quarter of a second you get to decide which is the appropriate one but also, hey, sometimes you just get out because the bowler bowled a pearler.

I probably should go back to my career bowler and have a look at this a bit more before I give to many opinions though.

Not sure if this has been mentioned (hard to check through 59 pages), but would love to see a bit of sledging involved. When the batsman is hit, the bowler mouths off or makes an exaggerated gesture or claps mockingly.

Ahh, the immense pleasure you would get from hitting him for a boundary the next ball. Or the embarrassment you would have when you get out next ball trying to teach him a lesson.

More of a cosmetic change, but would be nice to have imo

Not sure if this has been mentioned (hard to check through 59 pages), but would love to see a bit of sledging involved. When the batsman is hit, the bowler mouths off or makes an exaggerated gesture or claps mockingly.

Ahh, the immense pleasure you would get from hitting him for a boundary the next ball. Or the embarrassment you would have when you get out next ball trying to teach him a lesson.

More of a cosmetic change, but would be nice to have imo

I think as a cosmetic change it's not much cop, but tie it into a proper confidence system and introduce mental attributes for each player (with more feedback, like the commentators talking about a player's mental state ("he looks nervous", "he doesn't like the short stuff" etc) and maybe something on a HUD)and you've got a really nice rich feature there. Would add loads.

I do notice that conditions don't seem to matter a whole lot, for better or worse. it's impossible to get a wicket like the england v india game, batting is always rock solid no matter how flat the wicket is. I'd probably be a lot happier with getting out so often if it was because it was a greentop but it would be nice to also get a completely rubbish wicket from time to time.

then thing is if the game had lots of movement off the seem you'd be utterly ruined while batting. same if the "magic ball" existed, that would be great, not only do you get out anytime you pull, anytime you cut, a lot of the time when you don't nail the timing, a lot of the time if you choose the wrong shot in the quarter of a second you get to decide which is the appropriate one but also, hey, sometimes you just get out because the bowler bowled a pearler.

I probably should go back to my career bowler and have a look at this a bit more before I give to many opinions though.

Other games had seam implemented as movement off the pitch, exaggerated on a green top. Batting was still possible

there is no way you can generate AI (I am talking about AI only) edges every 30-40 balls in DBC. 300-400 maybe. and there is very little variation. the AI edge system is way, way off and not realistic at all

ok blocker, going to apologise, decided to have another go with a new fast bowler and you're right. I played two FC matches and an ODI, bowling roughly 100 overs (took bloody ages) I had 3 edges in that lot, one of them was on an LBW decision. perhaps most disappointingly is I decided to tally my played and misses. I got 159 instances of the batsmen playing and missing in this lot and another 45 of it hitting them or their pads or something. so that was 2 balls an over I was roughly throwing down something the AI misjudged and got 3 edges from it.

I'd love to see some fielding drills, especially slip catching practice. P v p online on a slip cradle might be fun.

ok blocker, going to apologise, decided to have another go with a new fast bowler and you're right. I played two FC matches and an ODI, bowling roughly 100 overs (took bloody ages) I had 3 edges in that lot, one of them was on an LBW decision. perhaps most disappointingly is I decided to tally my played and misses. I got 159 instances of the batsmen playing and missing in this lot and another 45 of it hitting them or their pads or something. so that was 2 balls an over I was roughly throwing down something the AI misjudged and got 3 edges from it.

not sure if you saw this, but i tell you what i usually find most dispiriting about bowling - your "best" balls, the one on the 4th stump line just outside off stump, this is the balls they will simply leave by stepping outside the leg stump.

bowl wide, and they'll smash it or play it and miss by a mile. hit the corridor of uncertainty, and they have the best sense of where their off stump is.

id love to see career have more substance, more variation and feel like a mode thats different from season to season even if only slightly.

Think the line ups could change, they are the same no matter what format your in, maybe when captain you can change the line ups/order before match not just when someone gets out. Lineup changes have been in games since the mega drive so I'd expect it can be put in here. Think somethings needed as career is the main mode in the game falls short by being way too static.

with the game unlicensed moves to different clubs could very much be in their as even with licenses do this.

not sure if you saw this, but i tell you what i usually find most dispiriting about bowling - your "best" balls, the one on the 4th stump line just outside off stump, this is the balls they will simply leave by stepping outside the leg stump.

bowl wide, and they'll smash it or play it and miss by a mile. hit the corridor of uncertainty, and they have the best sense of where their off stump is.

what I find annoying is that when I'm batting the AI obviously compensates my bad shot selection by putting the bat nearer the ball, whereas the AI doesn't seem to bother doing the same when it's batting. it just swings away getting nowhere near it at times, playing awful shots (cutting stuff on middle). I only got the edges of balls hitting the stumps, it's almost like there's some sort of risk calculation going, if the ball is missing the stumps the AI simply doesn't worry about getting the bat near the ball.

it's completely stacked towards the AI now (they also seem to be able to do things like play pulls on the ground which as far as I can see are impossible for the player to do).

A few things I?d like to see (leaving aside the issues that have been discussed extensively like edges and fielder/bowler momentum).

Batting
? I?d like to see the introduction of the square drive. Ideally front foot + right stick between 3 o?clock and around 11 o?clock should be a drive of some sort (On, straight, off, cover, square). This would allow us to better manoeuvre full pitched balls on or around off stump without fear of being bowled because the batsman has decided to play a front foot cut shot. It would also hopefully bring wider slips/gully into play as a mistimed square drive could see you slicing the ball towards those fielders.

? I?d like to see a slog sweep allowing me to try to hit fuller deliveries on the stumps aerially through midwicket without it turning into a lofted leg glance towards backward square leg. Obviously a risky shot with a high probability of missing/skying the ball but a common shot especially in the shorter forms.

? I?d like a greater penalty for playing off the front foot to short pitched fast bowling. This could be achieved by adding a couple of flinch or fend animations to be triggered when trying to play off the front foot to a ball coming through at a height between the batsman?s armpit and top of the head. This results in the batsman risking gloving/edging the ball to short leg/gully/the cordon. This would make the batsman think twice about sitting on the front foot to everything. I?d also like the risk of the batsman missing the ball and possibly getting injured. It would add great tension if I?m batting with my star fast bowler knowing I risk injury if I just try to plonk down my front foot making me nervous about coming forward to the ball when facing a genuine quick? just like in real life.

? I?d like to see a greater penalty for playing back to full length balls (even when playing straight) by adding some ?jamming the bat down? type animations. Thee would involve a high(er) probability of edging or missing the ball. Between this and the previous suggestion we could finally have a game where (in the right conditions and with the right bowler) I can pepper the opposition with short balls, forcing them onto the back foot before surprising them with the fast full one for a bowled/lbw/catch behind.

Bowling
? I?d like to see more carry and bounce. I had an instance on a ?normal? bounce pitch where my fast bowler bowled a short wide ball down the leg side at 144kph. The ball rolled to a stop about ? way to the boundary ? that should never happen. I feel like the pitch takes too much of the momentum out of the ball meaning that there is insufficient carry to the keeper on all but the most bouncy of pitches. I feel the loss of momentum issue is also there when the ball hits the stumps (hence no overthrows from direct hit deflections) or the batsman (hence no bat/pad opportunities or leg byes).

? I would remove (or reduce) the link between the timing of the delivery and the pace for fast bowlers; rather I would have a poorly timed delivery result in more erratic line (wider of off or further down the leg). That way you are penalising the bowler by making him spray the ball and not the batsman by delivering a surprise change of pace.

? I would like to be able to control the pace for spinners through the use of R1/L1 in the same way I can for quick bowlers.

Just my 20c ;)

Last edited:
For me this is the only thing I want, sweep shots and all that crap is here just hold down whatever button it is to play the shot you are so badly requesting. Okay well let me give you my idea:

When Rangers ran out of money and were forced to sell all their players it was looking dull, however what would happen if that happened to a cricket team? A team you are managing?

So it will be manager mode, but with a twist. If I was to select the Highveld Lions, I would start with a pathetic budget, with only 3 players who usually play in the starting XI (De Kock, Tahir and Symes). Now my job is to transform them from this destroyed team to winning the Champions League. I'll only have 100k or however much a low club has, and I must buy, sign and sell players to create my dream team. During this career you can also manage either a Caribbean PL team, Aussie PL team or Indian PL team and also manage an international team. So you could be managing up too 3 teams.

What do you guys think?

Few Ideas

Now I have already posted this on Steam forums but thought I would post the same here haha.

Can we have a fielding practise as I still miss catches that say may just go over your head and you have to run back with a chance of a catch?

Oh a couple of other minor suggestions lol

Can you add a way to have levels of game skill between people, say rookie on team pro other?

I play mainly with my Brother but he doesn't have same amount of time to play so my skill level is always slightly higher than his and gives me the advantage in games I beat him most times and I can sense his sheer frustration lol.

Would like it so its harder to play against his choice of selection but with say an "agree" button so both teams are happy with selections.

It would also be nice if you had more time in multiplayer to choose your side, line up and initial batsman or bowlers to start not random ones you have no say in.

Then obviously choice of gear etc,then hit a "ready up" icon to start game.

Game skips in way to quick and you do not really have a choice to look at team you may want to play.

Spin bowling still feels more like luck than skill very hit and miss so a tweak here would be nice

A field setting would be a lot easier for say T10/20 games than Individual players that seems messy? just my opinion.

A way of knowing what player your actually controlling when in the field as sometimes 2 guys run for the ball but your never 100% sure which one you have and you may wish to flip to the closer running.

And why do the bowlers always step over the boundary when they have caught up with the ball just to end up giving 4 away? seems to happen every time you stop a ball and your running solo to boundary? frustrating.

And is there a way to jump an tap ball back to a second fielder if its just going across the boundary edge?

A field radar for batsman so you pick shots a bit better, looking around just before bowler runs up doesn't always give you time to check behind you and you also forget to do the check?

Apart from these couple of things game plays great and any tweak here would be brilliant

And why do the bowlers always step over the boundary when they have caught up with the ball just to end up giving 4 away? seems to happen every time you stop a ball and your running solo to boundary? frustrating.

And is there a way to jump an tap ball back to a second fielder if its just going across the boundary edge?

You can by pressing R1 but you might want to check with the manual...

Spin bowling still feels more like luck than skill very hit and miss so a tweak here would be nice

My spinner already gives the ball an almighty tweak! :lol

... oh, that wasn't what you mean was it. :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread