Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

I prefer the individual career mode. Am not a big fan of management aspects of the game and wouldn't be that interested in developing the team over time.
agree. cricket isn't football, and the manager doesn't have the same control as a football manager especially on in-game tactics, nor is there a genuine footballesque transfer system. so any cricket management sim is basically flying in the face of reality, or if it was gonna be realistic would be crushingly boring.

agree. cricket isn't football, and the manager doesn't have the same control as a football manager especially on in-game tactics, nor is there a genuine footballesque transfer system. so any cricket management sim is basically flying in the face of reality, or if it was gonna be realistic would be crushingly boring.
None of the American sports have a footballesque transfer system and they all seem to pull off a franchise mode pretty well. Doesn't have to be majorly in depth just maybe an extra mode with a bit more hands on. Even if it was just limited to a T20 team it'd be cool to try and recruit overseas players and develop your own talent as well. At least I thought so anyway.

Just to pick something out of that PS4 thread,
e: that'd be something nice to add to DBC: if you're playing a game in 1983; then have TV graphics similar to those used then and other similar things.

I'd add to this a feature request that would be nice for the current version - have the filter selection tie to the specific match/tour/series rather than a global setting. I'll often change a classic match to the Ink filter, but then go resume my career and need to switch back to colour.

Being able to select TV graphics in such a way would be great, even if out of the box they were just imitations of the broad styles.

None of the American sports have a footballesque transfer system and they all seem to pull off a franchise mode pretty well. Doesn't have to be majorly in depth just maybe an extra mode with a bit more hands on. Even if it was just limited to a T20 team it'd be cool to try and recruit overseas players and develop your own talent as well. At least I thought so anyway.
they do have the draft, player trades often in relation to draft position, and the coach having control of on-field in-play tactics. cricket has almost none of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1407399815][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just to pick something out of that PS4 thread,

I'd add to this a feature request that would be nice for the current version - have the filter selection tie to the specific match/tour/series rather than a global setting. I'll often change a classic match to the Ink filter, but then go resume my career and need to switch back to colour.

Being able to select TV graphics in such a way would be great, even if out of the box they were just imitations of the broad styles.
and umpire uniforms that match the filter.

they do have the draft, player trades often in relation to draft position, and the coach having control of on-field in-play tactics. cricket has almost none of that.
And the IPL has the auction...which could easily carry over to English/Aussie teams for fictional game purposes. And in those games you also get the chance to play in each match so the tactics side of things would be irrelevant. I never meant for it to be some kind of management simulation. Probably could have explained myself a bit better originally.

And the IPL has the auction...which could easily carry over to English/Aussie teams for fictional game purposes. And in those games you also get the chance to play in each match so the tactics side of things would be irrelevant. I never meant for it to be some kind of management simulation. Probably could have explained myself a bit better originally.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably play such a mode, but I think some people here talk about such a mode almost like "football manager is great so do that for cricket" without thinking about the particulars of the two sports that makes a "management" mode more realistic in football and as you say "fictionalised" (or shoe horned) in cricket

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably play such a mode, but I think some people here talk about such a mode almost like "football manager is great so do that for cricket" without thinking about the particulars of the two sports that makes a "management" mode more realistic in football and as you say "fictionalised" (or shoe horned) in cricket
Football manager for cricket is certainly not what I imagined. I remember one franchise mode I played on either NHL or Madden where it was cool to re-sign players according to a salary cap and attempt to fit a new player in there with that. But also investing in youth player development and seeing 1 or 2 of those guys pay off. It may be a bit far fetched for a cricket game such as this but I wanted to canvass a few thoughts nonetheless.

Football manager for cricket is certainly not what I imagined. I remember one franchise mode I played on either NHL or Madden where it was cool to re-sign players according to a salary cap and attempt to fit a new player in there with that. But also investing in youth player development and seeing 1 or 2 of those guys pay off. It may be a bit far fetched for a cricket game such as this but I wanted to canvass a few thoughts nonetheless.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for cricket, except from the perspective of stuff like the IPL.

Bear in mind that NHL/NBA/MLB/Premier League Football (and most of the other examples I can think of) are actually "club" level competitions - where the club is owned by an individual or group and that individual/group is entirely profit driven.

The IPL and similar sub-baseball cricket could work in that sense. I'd have absolutely no interest in playing it.

I really enjoy the Cricket Coach Games. They aren't particularly user friendly in terms of setting fields etc. but Ollie has done a fab job in terms of all the stats that are available and the way the game feels. Also loads of World Leagues. I'd recommend the games to anyone who loves cricket.

I'd like to see an Umpire mode in the next game (if there will be one). Only because I'm a massive cricket nerd and would love to have a go at umpiring a Test Match!

Also loads more stats. That's a must. I still can't believe it doesn't even show the amount of maidens you bowl.

I would like a laugh track to be added for all dismissals.

Also bowling should take place in slow motion and be underscored by a Viennese waltz.

I think people really miss the point here. No, cricket isn't football, but at the same time you don't need to have a "Football-like" transfer market for an enjoyable game either. Look at the football manager series, look at what can be done with a national team, it's pretty much the exact same scenario, at least in terms of what is being done, though the standard management structure is a tad different. This can be put to one side for the sake of playability.

I for one would be hugely excited by a proper career mode with an entire steam, growing the side over time, developing the players, bringing new ones through from the domestic sides and going on tours, building to be the best in all 3 formats. That would be wonderful.

The best part about it as well, is it would require the exact same improvement that one-man-career mode currently needs. Team development, player growth, aging and injuries. It would benefit both massively and ultimately could come down to the choice of playing a career as a player or a manager.

I think people really miss the point here. No, cricket isn't football, but at the same time you don't need to have a "Football-like" transfer market for an enjoyable game either. Look at the football manager series, look at what can be done with a national team, it's pretty much the exact same scenario, at least in terms of what is being done, though the standard management structure is a tad different. This can be put to one side for the sake of playability.

I for one would be hugely excited by a proper career mode with an entire steam, growing the side over time, developing the players, bringing new ones through from the domestic sides and going on tours, building to be the best in all 3 formats. That would be wonderful.

The best part about it as well, is it would require the exact same improvement that one-man-career mode currently needs. Team development, player growth, aging and injuries. It would benefit both massively and ultimately could come down to the choice of playing a career as a player or a manager.

the coach in football has responsibility for in-game tactics, in cricket they don't. once the game starts, that's it. you don't decide the bowling changes, set the fields etc. that's the captain's job.

essentially, what in football is generally the responsibility of the manager (player development (including appointing coaches), general strategy, and in-game tactical switches) is in cricket split between a coach and captain. therefore any captain mode or coach mode or manager mode in cricket means you either give the captain or coach responsibility that they don't really have, or you would have to massively restrict the options available to the player.

i am not saying that you can't fudge a playable, even enjoyable outcome, i am saying that outcome is divorced from reality.

the coach in football has responsibility for in-game tactics, in cricket they don't. once the game starts, that's it. you don't decide the bowling changes, set the fields etc. that's the captain's job.

essentially, what in football is generally the responsibility of the manager (player development (including appointing coaches), general strategy, and in-game tactical switches) is in cricket split between a coach and captain. therefore any captain mode or coach mode or manager mode in cricket means you either give the captain or coach responsibility that they don't really have, or you would have to massively restrict the options available to the player.

i am not saying that you can't fudge a playable, even enjoyable outcome, i am saying that outcome is divorced from reality.
Have you played International Cricket Captain? That basically gives you the role of selectors, coach and captain in one and it is quite fun. Not a realistic role to play, but it gives you plenty of stuff to do on and off the pitch.

No 'Manager Mode' is realistic in a true sense in any sports game where you actually control the play... There's an all powerful being that dictates the club's transfer policies and mind controls all 11 players on match day? Some liberties have to be taken :p.

Thank you for conveying what I was thinking in a much more succinct manner than I was able to accomplish! :thumbs

Have you played International Cricket Captain? That basically gives you the role of selectors, coach and captain in one and it is quite fun. Not a realistic role to play, but it gives you plenty of stuff to do on and off the pitch.

i've played it... you're right it's not unenjoyable though i didn't bother buying the last one because i played the demo and in every game, every single game, the side batting last won. didn't matter whether they were chasing 100 on a third day pitch or 400 on a 5th day pitch. was just beyond a joke.

i just find people posting i want to do this this this and this and never remotely acknowledging how far removed from reality it is.

Users who are viewing this thread