Story FTP: Michael Young, a 16 year old star's Journey

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
My name is Michael.. Michael Young. I was born in Glasgow, Scotland. I currently play and captain the youth team of Hedger's Team at 16 years of age. How did I get here though? I should probably go over that. I had grown up in Scotland for all my life. I was always a good cricketer. I played it in my spare time, with a few friends or just bowling at a stump or something. I continued to improve greatly and was captain of my school side. One day, I was playing for my club side. We were batting first after I won the toss. We had lost 2 early wickets and I came in at #4. The shots were coming off and I quickly raced away to fifty. I noticed only 13 overs had been bowled, giving me another 27 overs to bat. I continued to bat well but my innings unluckily ended when I got a great delivery, swinging away taking the edge on the way through and I was out for 82, as we went on to make 220. Although I had great batting skills, I never bowled but my fielding wasn't too bad, always standing in slip. Anyway, we ended up winning by a pretty comfortable margin. After we grabbed some drinks, a man came up to me. "Can we talk for a second". I replied, "Sure". He went on about my abilities, before asking a question, "You're the captain of this side, aren't you?" "Yes. I am." He seemed pleased and then said, "You did a great job ordering your team around as well." I didn't even know his name so I said, "Sir, you haven't even told me your name." "Brendon Hedger. Have you ever been to Bangladesh?" Puzzled, I replied "No. Why?" "I'm the coach of Hedger's Team. Founded it myself a while. I would like to offer you a youth contract at the club. We'll pay you $700 a week." I didn't have any idea what to do. In the end, I asked him if I could have a week to think about it. "There's still 2 weeks until the start of the next season. I have to go back by next Sunday, so if you get back to me by then, I can arrange the tickets." It only took me a few days to decide I wanted to go play over in Bangladesh. I went back over with the coach that weekend and stayed at a hotel while I organised somewhere to stay.

I trained with the youth team over the next week and with the old captain, promoted into the senior squad before leaving that same week, the team needed a captain. With not many players suitable for the job, I was surprisingly named captain. I moved into a flat with a fellow teammate, Aravinda Habeebulaah, a Sri Lankan U19 spinner, although not been capped yet at U19 Nat level despite being part of the squad. I played in my first youth game that same week, scoring 38* as we recorded a 5 wicket win, Murch taking MOTM with his 74, while Habeebulaah took 2/42. Another unbeaten knock in my next game, 48* took us to a second victory with Murch hitting 75 to continue his good form while Mohammad scored 76*. I got a taste of senior cricket that same weekend with a One Day friendly. I didn't play too well only scoring 12 batting at #4 but Murch batted well scoring 48 as we lost by 2 wickets. I was chosen in the T20 squad for our next match but a dominant performance meant I didn't get a bat. It was in my third youth match that I scored a great unbeaten century, 116* off 80 balls with Murch scoring another 50 as we recorded a 93 run win. The only other match I've played since then was the game the next day in the PCL against Chewie CC. I made a nice 70 in that match to help us on our way to another win. It's been a great start to my career and I hope to continue it as well as I have started.

Last edited:

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
As you can see, I've decided to restart this story as I had no real storyline. I'm doing it in first person after the success in "My Career Diary".

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
FTP & BT stories are bit tough to be honest, because they(FTP/BT) are going to run without delays though there might be delay in our end. i.e. Suren Ram is still young playing for TN despite the delay but, Young would be surely 20+ in the same delays time :p

Good luck :thumbs

Dutchmen

Club Captain
He's just 16 and playing as a captain for you team? engaging. and I wouldn't agree if anyone pay me just $700 to play for they team. :p

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
20th September 2010

It was Monday and the youth training day. I was training on my batting technique but still didn't see much improvement. The coach told me that I done well. Every monday, one new player would join the team it seemed and we eagerly waited to find out who it was. He was Ruben Mol, a Netherlands batsman. He was apparently a big talent and would be good enough for the U19 side in a few seasons time. Much to Daniyal Mohammad's disliking, he could also keep pretty well and his glovework seemed to be slightly better than the current youth keeper which meaned that Mol would probably be keeping. Our youth squad was a mix of players. We had 17 players, with no more than 2 players from any country and more surprisingly, nobody from Bangladesh, the same as with our senior squad. We had 2 New Zealanders, 2 Sri Lankans, 2 Pakistani's, 2 Canadians, 2 Scottish, one being myself and one each from South Africa, Bermuda, India, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands and Zimbabwe. We had our next T20 game on tomorrow and I hope I am chosen.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Do you ask for a specific nationality when you recruit new players?

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Yep. I rotate it often. I never pull the same nationality twice in a row and normally I only pull from minor nations.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Any specific reason for that? Because I've just been pulling New Zealand all the time.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
21st September 2010

I was ready for the upcoming youth game. The coach had announced the lineup, with a surprise selection in Ruben Mol being selected to debut in senior T20 before even playing a youth match. Stephen won the toss and elected to bat, on a nice hard pitch away from home. Byrne hit the second ball for six, before hitting a single next ball to give Mol the strike for his first ever ball for the club. It was unbelievable. It was a no ball and he smashed it way into the crowd for six. Not a bad way to start his career. He then hit back to back boundaries to end the second over as he moved to 18* off 7. Byrne got out early for 10 and we were 29/1. Mol and Miller put huge pressure on the opposition though with a partnership worth more than 100 runs, before Mol was dismissed for 81 off 51, a great way to start his career with 5 fours and 4 sixes and Miller was dismissed next over for 53 off 28. So Aidan and I were at the crease. With about 5 overs left, we didn't have much time to get settled so we both went from ball 1, and the partnership included 35 runs over the space of 2 overs, thanks to some great hitting by O'Leary and helped a bit by myself. We ended up making 212/3, me finishing on 36* off 20 and O'Leary finishing with 31* off 15.

We started well having them at 9/1 after 3 overs and never really went back although conceding a few expensive overs, bowling them out for 139, after 18 overs, to win by 73 runs. LeBron James and Aravinda Habeebulaah took 3 wickets each, while Muddle took 2 and Kentwell and Fiebig took 1 a piece. It was a fine win as we now sit in second place on the T20 ladder. I am still yet to get out in competitive cricket with all innings finishing as not outs, my 3 youth innings and 1 T20 innings although I played one other T20 game but didn't bat.

Dutchmen

Club Captain
what earth is your team on? ever been in Bangladesh, you have none of the players.... interesting! and an upgrade later, Mol started a fine career. the second over was like, he's playing baseball. Miller gave a good support and later in the innings Young and O'Leary helped to reach 200+. your team had a good game, batted extremely well and then bowled pretty good.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
22nd September 2010

We played our youth match today and were defeated in an unbelievably tight match. We batted first, our openers off to a fine start, Murch continuing great form with 80, his highest score of his season and his career. He has played four of his five matches this season and is currently 19 years old. Where has he been all his career. He's scored at least 50 in all four of his innings, having not batted in his first youth match. Ruben Mol continued a fine start to his career with 69 off 82 to back up his 81 in his T20 debut. Mohammad contributed at #3 with 51 but the rest of the order failed, including myself scoring 12 but we ended up making 257/6.

We bowled well to start off the match and at 232/6 after 32 overs, and their team needing to score at over 10 an over, we should have had the match in the bag but their new batsman down at #7, Sipho scored an unbelievable 25 ball 48* as they won with 1 ball to spare and 2 wickets in hand. We could blame the loss on Murubi who took 1/72 from 8 overs. The rest of the bowlers bowled well though, Reshma 3/56 (7.5), Whiteman 2/52 (8), Habeebulaah 1/39 (8) and Baldry 0/35 (8) all bowling tightly. Mol took MOTM on debut for his 69 and 3 catches behind the stumps. Looking at match ratings, we should have won the game though. Our top order is very strong, with Mol our new opener having a great start to his career, Murch who has scored 291 runs @ 72.75 this season, Mohammad who also has started playing this season at 19 with 211 runs @ 70.33, in 4 matches and myself batting at #4. I have now got an average of 213 in Youth cricket, with a SR of over 100. I still don't have an average in T20 and my SR is 180.

Dutchmen

Club Captain
That was remarkable status from those guys 70.33, in 4 matches from Mohammad and 291 runs @ 72.75 from Murch were bizarre. not quite sure why Mol took MOTM. should have given to Murch with 80. although, that was pretty unlucky. that dam #7 █████ boasted 25 ball 48.

Good writing and should be working on presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread