General Cricket Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
4 innings in and ODI is ridiculous. You dont have to follow each and every thing that Sachin Tendulkar says.

25 teams will certainly lead to a lot many one-sided games. And how will you divide the teams ?

I'd advocate a 16 team tournament like we had in the West Indies. Agreed the format can have major teams crashing out early, but I can live with that. Have 4 groups of 4 each. The top 2 from each group can then advance to the Qf's- SF's and then the Final.

This way you will have a shorter tournament as well. 24 group games + 4 quarters +2 semis + Final.
31 games. The World Cup could be over in about a month's time.

Alternatively, the ICC could use the formula they used for the World T20 this year. The top 8 teams getting a direct entry. Divide them into groups of 4 each. For the next 2 spots,have a qualifying tournament for 4 Associates+ Bangladesh-Zimbabwe(bottom ranked teams).

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ODI's should be kept as they currently are.

50 over innings split in half, super subs!? no thanks. This isn't the DBC cricket academy guys :p

Also, the CWC is in danger of losing it's identity if we're to keep chopping and changing the tournament rules/format every 4 years. Find one that works and stick with it! :facepalm

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Commentators, Shane Warne in particular need to learn from Ian Chappel. He make a very good point between 4:39-6:04. I do not remember Bill Lawry, Tony Grieg, Tony Cozier and Ian Chappell, some of the best commentators of the game repeat the same lines and wasn't it enjoyable to listen to them?

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
super subs!?
Feel that subs would make the game more exciting. Yes, the rule is imperfect, but one small change could make it much better. Rather than having just one player whom you can bring in, it would be better if the entire bench was available and one from that could be chosen, according to the situation.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Commentators, Shane Warne in particular need to learn from Ian Chappel.

Shane Warne is still a bit bearable when he is working for Sky in England but as soon as he arrives in Australia and joins the other twats of Channel 9, he brings out his true colours.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This World Cup has had too many one-sided games. Because the games are on either late at night or overnight here, I get up and switch the TV on in the morning and I'll often find someone is 50-5 chasing 420. There's no point in watching it, because you know what's going to happen. The two best games of the tournament have been Ireland v UAE and Australia v New Zealand. It does now seem to be limping towards the end of the group stage. Hopefully as the games start to matter more we will get some closer games. We need a big upset.

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is this the first time that 4 Asian teams will qualify for knockouts ?

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
This World Cup has had too many one-sided games. Because the games are on either late at night or overnight here, I get up and switch the TV on in the morning and I'll often find someone is 50-5 chasing 420. There's no point in watching it, because you know what's going to happen. The two best games of the tournament have been Ireland v UAE and Australia v New Zealand. It does now seem to be limping towards the end of the group stage. Hopefully as the games start to matter more we will get some closer games. We need a big upset.

1:Aus vs NZ
2:Ireland vs Zim
3:Ireland vs UAE

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bangladesh-Scotland and Scotland-Afghanistan were also good - especially the latter

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
That's 3 close games. Tonight's match is the 35th of the tournament.
Actually my point was IRELAND vs Zim > IRELAND vs UAE

bigred

Club Captain
Shane Warne is still a bit bearable when he is working for Sky in England but as soon as he arrives in Australia and joins the other twats of Channel 9, he brings out his true colours.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Warne just copies what other commentators and pundits say. He also would make the opposite decision to the one every captain makes unless the decisions has come from Michael Clarke. They guy's a twat.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No one realised it at the time but Tony Greig was an absolutely fantastic commentator and since his sad death no one has been able to match him. He had a great way with words.

He famously said simply 'ooh, that's rubbish' at a Simon Katich delivery in the 2005 Ashes. And I always admired him for his total respect of the umpire's decision. He would ask 'has he got him!?' in his trademark style but as soon as the umpire shook his head he would say 'no, not out, hit him on the arm'. He was brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread