General Cricket Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Do you have any specific criticisms, or does the fact that any person of colour might talk about their experiences in terms of race seem offensive to you, somehow? From your previous posts on this topic, it seems the latter. Even mentioning the world "black" seems to trigger you, honestly.
If you try to understand what he’s actually saying, or maybe follow the SJN hearing that have been going on, you'll get it. Now I personally don’t agree with the quota system at the international level, but if a group of people is kept segregated for centuries on the basis of their skin, all the systemic inequality and racism accumulated over those centuries does not go away at the snap of a finger when their communities are treated like equal human beings again.
Systemic racism doesn’t mean that the current cricketing system is full of racists. It means that the system, as well as the entirety of South African society, was designed by racists in the apartheid era, for racist purposes, where white players would come through prestigious private schools onto the domestic and international team. Black players didn’t and still don’t have access to the same opportunities, because of socioeconomic discrimination in the apartheid era that, again, didn’t go away in the blink of an eye when Mandela was freed.

A group of players was kept away from the game prior to 1990. I agree with all of that. Post 1990, you've seen some good players make their mark and become world champions in their own right- Ntini, Amla, Duminy. From Toyana's interview, it seems as of the 'blacks' do not talk to the other players at all- now that can't simply be true, can it?

The country has proven that performers have been given adequate chances to prove themselves. Growing up, I saw the spinner Paul Adams make a mark in a team full of whites. There may have been the off chance that he didnt get selected, but, to blame the non-selection of a 'black player' on racism, isnt aways right.

The point I'm trying to make here- Move on! There were problems, its not as if they aren't getting chances. If you are good enough, you will get chances. However, it is up to the player to make it count. Crying on and on about it is only going to deepen the cracks in the system.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Christmas Day 11:30pm The Ashes
Boxing Day 8am South Africa v India
Boxing Day 3pm USA v Ireland 1st ODI

Might get two hours sleep.
Games in Africa means 3.30 am start. Might able to catch the last few hours.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Yes that Player Ahmed Khan is from my village in Pakistan, my family knows his family so I was happy to see him score the winning runs.
Hope he gets to the Pakistan team and succeeds and you get free autographed jerseys for all of us :p

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Great news this. Hopefully franchise tournaments, like the IPL, adopt it too.

They've also found a new way to describe an extended ad break that isn't called Strategic Time Out:

'Also, the new playing conditions allow for an optional drinks break midway through each innings in bilateral T20I series. ESPNcricinfo understands the decision on whether or not to take the drinks break, or when to take it, during a particular series would be made jointly by the two participating boards before each series.'

Users who are viewing this thread