General Cricket Discussion

Umm what gives the impression that England in general dont look beyond the Ashes?

Umm what gives the impression that England in general dont look beyond the Ashes?

England post 2005/2006.
England in build up to the Ashes.
England in limited overs cricket in general.

Good to see they're aiming higher this time around.

^^^ yes normally england only seem to build to the Ashes but this time round, under Strauss and Flower they want more.

England post 2005/2006.
England in build up to the Ashes.
England in limited overs cricket in general.

Good to see they're aiming higher this time around.

In case you forgot after the 2005/06 Ashes win, certainly aimed to become #1 test team in the world. What stunted their aim to that & the general decline of the team from 2005-2009 Ashes, was the injuries to the majority of the 2005 Ashes winning line-up. Trescothick, Vaughan, Flintoff, Jones. So England never got a chance to build on their 05 Ashes success.

Also ENGs limited overs woes over the years have nothing to do with how they approach Ashes & other test series. The ODI team has issues on its own since the 1992 world cup, that one can write a entire book about.

In case you forgot after the 2005/06 Ashes win, certainly aimed to become #1 test team in the world. What stunted their aim to that & the general decline of the team from 2005-2009 Ashes, was the injuries to the majority of the 2005 Ashes winning line-up. Trescothick, Vaughan, Flintoff, Jones. So England never got a chance to build on their 05 Ashes success.
:rolleyes
Stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. You don't.

Also ENGs limited overs woes over the years have nothing to do with how they approach Ashes & other test series. The ODI team has issues on its own since the 1992 world cup, that one can write a entire book about.
They didn't care about ODIs earlier, kinda my point. Under Flower/Strauss they're looking at more than just tests and Ashes, they want to be the best side in the world. Whether they'll achieve it no one knows, but it's a nice change in mentality.

:rolleyes
Stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. You don't.

Quit the foolish trolling. Or else i will just report this post to the moderators.

Unless you can conclusively disprove what that said in this post & can show me & everyone else on planetcricket than England after the 2005 Ashes win, didn't also have aims to become the # 1 test team in world, just like after the recent 2010/11 Ashes win. Then be quiet.

They didn't care about ODIs earlier, kinda my point. Under Flower/Strauss they're looking at more than just tests and Ashes, they want to be the best side in the world. Whether they'll achieve it no one knows, but it's a nice change in mentality.

England do care about ODIs & always have. Its on of the great myths of the ENG ODI set-up just because they have been crap in the format over the last 15+ years - outsiders like yourself have interpreted than as a "lack of care" for ODI.

England ODI woes stem from a lack of combination of many things:

- Mentality of English cricketers from youth level. Whose styles are more suited to test match style batting & bowling.

- Lack of many 90 mph quick in list A cricket in the last 20 years to test batsmen. Which is one of one the reasons why England have struggled to produce ODI standard openers, more than any of the top 8 nations.

- Continuously picking bits a pieces country all-rounders over & over, instead of proper ones (although outside of Flintoff & maybe Craig White no other all-rounder has been of genuine ODI standard). Who may star up in domestic cricket, but continuously fail to translate the form @ international level.

- Picking test players to roles in ODIs. Then when they fail to translate across formats, a state of shock hits the land.

etc etc etc...as i said a book can be written about this. Andy Flower & current ENG selectors are still repeating the same past mistakes (i.e picking test cricketers to ODI players jobs - Cook as opener in ODIs instead of going for young Alex Hales & sticking with Tremlett & Anderson instead of going for domestic ODI stalwarts like Graham Napier). So as it regardless of T20 world-cup win, once those basis historical mistakes aren't cut out by Flower - the rhetoric of improving the ODI/T20 teams fortunes will remain just rhetoric.

Last edited:
Unless you can conclusively disprove what that said in this post & can show me & everyone else on planetcricket than England after the 2005 Ashes win, didn't also have aims to become the # 1 test team in world, just like after the recent 2010/11 Ashes win. Then be quiet.
I like how you try and put the burden of proof onto others and rarely bother to provide any of your own. And as history has shown, even when proof is presented to you, you argue it to the tiniest fault you can find, irregardless of how many faults your own argument holds. It's pretty much worthless having a debate with you.

I like how you try and put the burden of proof onto others and rarely bother to provide any of your own. And as history has shown, even when proof is presented to you, you argue it to the tiniest fault you can find, irregardless of how many faults your own argument holds. It's pretty much worthless having a debate with you.

I can easily find proof. I could even tell u right now where to look to find that proof on a few cricket websites. You are the one who started this argument in the usual disrespectful manner by suggesting i dont know what im talking about with regardless to how ENG did this in recent past. So dont try to to twist this to claim some moral or intellectual higher ground in this debate. FACT IS - anyone who is follows English cricket over the years religiously will know for sure this is not the 1st time England have a aim to become #1 in tests.

But of course with regards to you as this posts shows along with every post you direct towards me. You have & hold a EXTREMELY HEAVY grudge towards me - a person over the internet - who you are likely to die and never meet face to face, based on a few early discussions we had :lol. Thus wish to turn every post you quote me (since as you would have noticed i would never quote you directly to engage you in a cricket discussion) in to some personal insult fiasco & i have no time for such foolishness.

So dont try to to twist this and say "its worthless to have a debate with me. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT ENGAGES ME IN DEBATES - I DONT EVER ENGAGE YOU!!. I dont even acknowledge your existence here on planetcricket - so get it right.

Either way i will report this post. Since this is another example of you trying to turn this thread into a personal insult tirade.

Posting on a public site is direct engagement to the members of the site. In future if you don't want to engage people I suggest refraining from posting.

:facepalm You come in this thread to talk cricket or also drag on another useless tirade against me, that has nothing to do with cricket??. Since you are a next one along with zorax who always seem to want to do that with me on this website.

I clearly stated in that post i dont ever engage him in posts. I did not say i wish to not engage other posters. Read & comprehend better next time. This website has over 100+ regular posters that post in various threads & various topics in case you didnt know. Many other i post with quite peacefully. Their-fore if a poster (me) choses to not consciously ignore posts from a particular poster (zorax) in all discussions, that will not dilute the process of regular engagement that i will have with any other posters on this public forum.

Users who are viewing this thread