General Cricket Discussion

Danny Morrison has an incredibly annoying commentary voice.

Tbh he's actually one of my favourite commentators. He makes it more entertaining compared to some of the others who just sit there and comment on the obvious.

I can't stand a lot of the sub-continent commentators, probably the ones that you guys have refereed to above. Some of the ones at the World Cup last year were atrocious. And Barry Richards was shocking when he was here for South Africa's tour in our summer just gone, the amount of ---- he talked...

I generally like Bhogle's comments, but he just doesn't shut up. Ditto for Sanjay about not shutting up... Sanjay likes to sound super smart - sometimes he is, but he strikes me as a bit full of himself.
Thing with Bhogle is, he tries a bit too much. Every other sentence he speaks, he tries to be funny. Which he isn't most of the time. Agree with Sanjay sounding super smart. But, as you said, he sometimes is. For Bhogle, he's just stupid. More so after he's got that toupee, haha.

I love Danny and Harsha. One of my fav. Sunny is very good. Can't remember his name, but the cricketer who just turned 50. His voice is annoying and often monotonous. Arghh, can't remember his name. Ravi Shastri, thats it. Worst Commentator ever

Just finished watching the rest of the IPL highlights. If I hear anyone else say that 'player X HAS COME TO THE PARTY' I think I'm going to scream :facepalm I think it's Alastair Campbell that says it constantly (maybe HD Ackerman).

Look who's here. Russell Arnold. Best. Commentator. Ever.

----------

On a more serious note, just read the power plays will be only first 10 overs and then a 5 overs batting power play within the 40th over. So, bowling power play will be scrapped. Also, non power play overs to have only 4 fielders outside the circle. How many will be allowed in the power play overs then?

That will stay the same.

I don't like the removing of the batting powerplay, just increasing the dull middle overs. As I've said before, the future for ODI cricket is the 40 over format.

If only 4 players are allowed in the non-power play overs then what is the difference? Or, am I reading it completely wrong?

Edit : Just read it wrong. 2/3 in the power play and 4 in non power play.

Well, that then might work where you say 'dull' middle overs. Surely, batsmen will be tempted to go over the in field..

Last edited:
I like reducing the outfielders to 4 - that might help encourage strokeplay in the middle. It couldn't work in T20 though as bowlers already can't find enough outfielders.

I like the scrapping of the bowling powerplay. Strategically was boring and for new fans must be terribly confusing.

DON'T like the two bouncers per over idea though...This strikes me as a poorly thought out compensation deal for bowlers ie. they are taking out one outfielder and the committee was probably asking 'what can we do for bowlers in return?' But bouncers are crap!! They are redundant in the modern ODI game, because hardly any batsmen duck them anymore. In the old days they were a great way to limit scoring because ODI batting was all about limiting risk until the final overs, so batsmen would avoid them. But now batsmen play at the short ones unless it's too high - where it gets called a wide...Name a bowler that actually uses his one bouncer an over at the moment. It's a bad ball for bowlers because their margin for error is small - they'll get wided if it's over the head of the batsmen.

I would have preferred the bowling limit get raised to 12 overs as a way to help bowlers, not give them another bouncer.

The thing is in ODIs, if you're a bit soft against short pitched bowling, you get away with it. You're not going to see fewer runs but you might see some wickets.

All these change in the rules just continues to confuse the game for the neutral. They should have never moved from the 15-overs restriction rule in the first place.

All these change in the rules just continues to confuse the game for the neutral. They should have never moved from the 15-overs restriction rule in the first place.
Filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where you stand, but with neutrals, who knows?

Filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where you stand, but with neutrals, who knows?

Ha ye true you never really can tell where you may stand, but in a game like cricket where it has enough complicated rules already (i.e the lbw rules). The amount of changes in odi's in the last 5-years is beyond ridiculous and it isn't going to help explaining the game to potential new fans at all.

'When I was younger I used to bowl like Shoaib'

Ajmal Shazad
You have just moved from your native Yorkshire to Lancashire on loan. There were several other counties interested in you, so why did you choose Lancashire?
There were a few reasons. Glen Chapple has been on the top of his game for the last few years and I want to learn as much as I can off him before he decides to call it a day. I wanted to work with Peter Moores as well. I've heard rave reviews about him as a coach and hopefully he can help develop my game.

For full interview visit: Quick Singles with Ajmal Shahzad | The Short Stuff | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

just read the power plays will be only first 10 overs and then a 5 overs batting power play within the 40th over. So, bowling power play will be scrapped. Also, non power play overs to have only 4 fielders outside the circle. How many will be allowed in the power play overs then?

I approve of all the changes. Forcing an extra player into the inner circle could actually make quite a big difference because it will make it harder to work singles and force batsmen to be slightly more aggressive during the middle overs, without forcing the slogfest like powerplays did.

Users who are viewing this thread