General Cricket Discussion

When Sachin goes, I'd have to expect Rohit Sharma to move up to number four. That would open up another slot at number six, and I've been saying for some time that that is where Ravi Ashwin should bat. Thoughts?

I don`t think even with these stats Kohli would compare favorably with Tendulkar of 90s. The bowling attacks in the 90s were 10x better than today, the rules not as stacked in the favor of batsmen and generally more challenging wickets. Even in India, pitches were`nt flat but used to turn in the 90s and assist reverse swing. A quick run through and the bowling attacks of the 90s included;

McGrath, Warne, Kasper, Gillespie, Fleming, Reifel (Australia)
Donald, Pollock, Klusener, Fanie De Villiers, Bryan McMillan, Symcox (SA)
Wasim, Waqar, Azhar Mahmood, Aaquib Javed, Saqlain, Shoaib Akhtar, Mushtaq Ahmed (Pakistan)
Bishop, Ambrose, Walsh, Franklyn Rose, Merve Dillon, Rawl Lewis (WI)
Cairns, Shane O Connor, Geoff Allot, Nash, Vettori (NZ)
Vaas, Murali, Pushpakumara, Zoysa, Dharmasena (SL)
Brandes, Olonga, Rennie, Whittal, Johnson, Streak, Strang (Zim)
Gough, Caddick, Cork, Alan Mullaly, Chris Lewis, Fraser, Phil Tufnell (Eng)
Kumble, Srinath, Prasad, Mohanty , Agarkar (India)

Even Kenya had promising bowlers like the Suji brothers, Asif Karim and co. In general the quality of cricket was a lot better than today. I don`t rate Kohli`s efforts as highly as Tendulkar of the 90s, purely because of this reason. Statistically, it might seem better than Tendulkar but if you have been watching cricket since the mid-90s to now, you would know the difference. Kohli has also benefited a lot from constantly playing against SL in the subcontinent and has really excelled at that. To be fair to him, he has done well in what has been asked of him so far. The real test would be in SA and the three tours of NZ, England and Australia next year. For the first time, this new bunch of Indian batsmen would be touring, not as apprentices but as senior batsmen. Either way, it is going to be exciting times in Indian cricket. Wish I could say the same about our bowling.

On an other note, it would be great to have sides from the 90s in DBC 14. That would be fun recreating some of those mid 90s tournaments.

Amen. You can add also Brett Schultz & Steve Elworthy, Paul Adams, Craig Matthews from SA.

McDermott, Reid, Hughes, MacGill, Miller for AUS.

The Benjamin's quicks from the windies.

Simon Doull from NZ, Malcolm, Headley, Croft for England.

The 90s was beautiful.

I must say, Bilawal Bhatti has impressed me a lot with his pace and his maturity. He clocked at 149 today and rattled Saffers with pace. Yet another promising fast bowler hails from Pakistan. :clap

I must say, Bilawal Bhatti has impressed me a lot with his pace and his maturity. He clocked at 149 today and rattled Saffers with pace. Yet another promising fast bowler hails from Pakistan. :clap

Saw him bowl, didn't see him clock 149 ha, didn't look that fast, but he looks good.

Happy to see Anwar Ali play too, never forgot about him since he starred in that 2006 under-19 world cup.

His fastest bowl was 148.6 kph to be precise. I am happy that we have two possibly good fast bowling all rounder that were badly needed for balance of our odi and test teams.

His fastest bowl was 148.6 kph to be precise. I am happy that we have two possibly good fast bowling all rounder that were badly needed for balance of our odi and test teams.

Blogs: Ahmer Naqvi: Two more to Pakistan's fast bowling tally | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo Timely article, ha.

But ye you guys could do with some more solid backup in tests for Irfan & Junad. Gul is always injured or inconsistent, so hopefully Bhatti & Ali could amount to something.

Whats your view on other PAK quicks like Rahat Ali, Eshan Adil & the other leftie - Sadaf Hussain

Rahat Ali is good and has the potential to get into the Asif mold. Rahat has got some pace and he can get the ball to swing into right hander which is always handy for a left arm pacer. I have not seen much of Sadaf Hussain. If a fast bowler has to make it in Pakistan team, he can't afford to bowl less than 140 kph.

Users who are viewing this thread