General Cricket Discussion

You got so much love for our fast bowling War :p. But honestly I think we are hardly missing him with Junaid and Irfan making up for him. Junaid may lack in talent as compared to Aamir but he is the most hardworking Pakistani quicky I have seen. He tried his heart out everytime he comes out to ball and that makes up for whatever little lack of talent he may have comparably.

Ha ye man, i'm a cricket fan at the end of the day & cricket has certainly been denied a treat by Aamir & Asif being banned. Pakistan bowling attack would have been awesome viewing & so lethal with all Asif/Aamir/Junaid/Irfan/Gul/Ajmal operating.

i think the ICC should give Amir a chance.

No. He did wrong and must now serve his time. Just because he is young and a very talented cricketer does not mean that his ban should be overturned. The only way to stop these cheats is to come down hard on them.

No. He did wrong and must now serve his time. Just because he is young and a very talented cricketer does not mean that his ban should be overturned. The only way to stop these cheats is to come down hard on them.

i'd generally agree with that. but Aamir was in a vipers nest, he was the youngest guy in the team and the people who had a duty of care to him took advantage of his naivet?. he obviously did wrong, but I have a lot of sympathy for the situation he was in. such a shame, because what a talent.

I don't think they should shorten his ban. He should see his punishment. By the time his ban is over he will still be quite young so he can probably pick up his career quite easily.

i'd generally agree with that. but Aamir was in a vipers nest, he was the youngest guy in the team and the people who had a duty of care to him took advantage of his naivet?. he obviously did wrong, but I have a lot of sympathy for the situation he was in. such a shame, because what a talent.

If the case had been limited to that, I would have been supporting Aamir but if you can recall, after he was caught, he said there was "extreme pressure" on him and cited threats to his place in the side if he did not participate in the fixing. I don't think he was so naive to participate it without actually willing. He could have easily contacted the board officials on the issue. Add to that, he broke his suspension and played for an English club back in 2011 which led to the extension of his ban period. Such an act prove that he is no nincompoop to be unaware of his duties. By all means, ICC should not revoke his ban and set an example for young players.

This has gone viral last 48 hours.:lol

Last edited by a moderator:

This has gone viral last 48 hours.:lol

LOL Bloody hilarious, there's a story where she says she isn't doing what everyone thinks...I highly doubt it. Plus she doesn't seem to know Lynn :lol

I don't think they should shorten his ban. He should see his punishment. By the time his ban is over he will still be quite young so he can probably pick up his career quite easily.

I actually think his ban should be shortened, it's part of any justice system around the world, whether it be criminal or civil, that bans/jail terms/fines etc can be changed, increased or decreased.

In this case I believe Amir should be heard out by the ICC and if he has a strong enough reason and can explain how he has evolved over the years and learnt his lesson, then why not? Murderers in Britain get less of a punishment than this LOL But seriously, Amir was very young, seemingly pushed by his captain and seniors, obviously very important men in the dressing room, to do what he did.

Yes, some say he could have gone to the ICC or PCB but maybe he felt like he couldn't, maybe he just didn't know. I know how hard it is for young men to make a place for themselves in any team, that is quadrupled in a team and structure with as much preferences and down right corruption as the teams in Asia. Amir probably felt that he may not get another shot at the Pakistani team if he spoke out against his seniors, what if no one took him seriously.

I can think back to some of the down right imbecilic things I did as a teenager, none of them with the pressure, talent and fame Amir has to endure. Give him this chance, maybe a probation period when he is only allowed to play domestic cricket, but slowly embed him back into the game. It is needed for everyone involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am with you on this one. Pakistan is a country which had seen the likes of Wasim, Salim Malik, Ata-ur-Rehman involved in some sort of fixing activity. So people ought to be aware of what construes fixing or what all may fall under fixing.

Aamir ,well he may hail from a remote part of Pakistan or village or whatever. Any cricket fan/player would be well aware of the happenings in cricket. It would be quite stupid of the cricket fan/player to not to know all about fixing. What he did was wrong and he ought to serve out his ban.

Is it me or is Kohli going to be a monstrous batsmen? age 24 and 17 ODI 100s? His form is unreal and also is there a total India can't chase?

Probably the youngest one too. IIRC, Tendulkar scored his 17th ton in 1998 when he would have been 25. Whole world is talking about whether Kohli at this stage is better than Tendulkar of the late 90s but the way Bailey has been playing Aussies wouldn't help but debate if Bailey < Bevan.

I don`t think even with these stats Kohli would compare favorably with Tendulkar of 90s. The bowling attacks in the 90s were 10x better than today, the rules not as stacked in the favor of batsmen and generally more challenging wickets. Even in India, pitches were`nt flat but used to turn in the 90s and assist reverse swing. A quick run through and the bowling attacks of the 90s included;

McGrath, Warne, Kasper, Gillespie, Fleming, Reifel (Australia)
Donald, Pollock, Klusener, Fanie De Villiers, Bryan McMillan, Symcox (SA)
Wasim, Waqar, Azhar Mahmood, Aaquib Javed, Saqlain, Shoaib Akhtar, Mushtaq Ahmed (Pakistan)
Bishop, Ambrose, Walsh, Franklyn Rose, Merve Dillon, Rawl Lewis (WI)
Cairns, Shane O Connor, Geoff Allot, Nash, Vettori (NZ)
Vaas, Murali, Pushpakumara, Zoysa, Dharmasena (SL)
Brandes, Olonga, Rennie, Whittal, Johnson, Streak, Strang (Zim)
Gough, Caddick, Cork, Alan Mullaly, Chris Lewis, Fraser, Phil Tufnell (Eng)
Kumble, Srinath, Prasad, Mohanty , Agarkar (India)

Even Kenya had promising bowlers like the Suji brothers, Asif Karim and co. In general the quality of cricket was a lot better than today. I don`t rate Kohli`s efforts as highly as Tendulkar of the 90s, purely because of this reason. Statistically, it might seem better than Tendulkar but if you have been watching cricket since the mid-90s to now, you would know the difference. Kohli has also benefited a lot from constantly playing against SL in the subcontinent and has really excelled at that. To be fair to him, he has done well in what has been asked of him so far. The real test would be in SA and the three tours of NZ, England and Australia next year. For the first time, this new bunch of Indian batsmen would be touring, not as apprentices but as senior batsmen. Either way, it is going to be exciting times in Indian cricket. Wish I could say the same about our bowling.

On an other note, it would be great to have sides from the 90s in DBC 14. That would be fun recreating some of those mid 90s tournaments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread