General Cricket Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My position w.r.t Tests isn't immovable. I have genuinely enjoyed Test cricket in the past, but I do feel the quality on offer has gone down. As I mention below, only a handful of competitive nations remain. In the 1990s, most of the nations that played the longest format were competitive. It was good to watch. Furthermore, you haven't yet addressed how 'payment of equal match fees will help sustain the format?' Merely making a point and backing out of a debate just so you can't justify shouldn't be the way forth.
Teams are not as competitive because the game is more professional and professionalism brings the need for greater money. The greater the money the more competitive you can be. Maybe I'm biased but England have been involved in some truly great test matches in the last 18 months. If other teams aren't that's on them and their approach.

I haven't said that equal match fees will help sustain the format. It might go someway but it will only impact 11 players per team. I actually think it's a sticking plaster and more radical solutions are needed.
Also, coming from the UK, your thought process around Tests is going to be different than many others. Competitive test cricket is only being played by 3 nations- India, England and Australia. You could add the odd SA, NZ ,Pak to it, based on their minute successes. If countries cannot sustain themselves, they shouldn't be playing the format. It is as simple as that. While, the purists of the game still remain, it is a dwindling population, aided by many macro factors. Tackling these isn't going to be possible, even for an organization like the ICC.
Tell New Zealand that they aren't playing competitive test cricket after winning the World Test Championship - not that I think it matters as a tournament, but I know it hurts Indians, so it matters to them.

India, Australia and England play test cricket because there's an appetite for it and money in it BECAUSE people enjoy it. I don't think that's particularly different culturally different to New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa etc. I also don't buy into this idea that 'people aren't interested in test cricket anymore because of T20'. We're constantly told this by people with vested interest in making T20 the primary format. The fans are fed a constant diet of T20 and told that it's because we love it, when ultimately it's because broadcasters love it because it brings in money and that money (some of it) goes back to the boards. It's nothing to do with what viewing audiences actually want.

If most teams can't afford to play test cricket do you say 'well, tough luck I guess it's over for you and your players'. I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but I that seems to be exactly what you think; 'the party is over, time pack up and only do what makes the most amount of money.' Or do you say, how can we (the ICC) make playing test cricket more feasible for all teams and players. Granted, maintaining three formats is difficult but that doesn't mean the primacy and value of test cricket can't be and shouldn't be maintained. There's many things the ICC could do although the reality is the ship has probably sailed due to the short-sighted decision making that has plagued the sport.

Competition can be improved by leveling the playing field. Equal-match fees, like I say, won't solve things, but might have minimal impact on the current situation.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India, Australia and England play test cricket because there's an appetite for it and money in it BECAUSE people enjoy it. I don't think that's particularly different culturally different to New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa etc. I also don't buy into this idea that 'people aren't interested in test cricket anymore because of T20'. We're constantly told this by people with vested interest in making T20 the primary format. The fans are fed a constant diet of T20 and told that it's because we love it, when ultimately it's because broadcasters love it because it brings in money and that money (some of it) goes back to the boards. It's nothing to do with what viewing audiences actually want.

This is spot on. There is interest in test cricket but it’s being blotted out by the “let’s have more T20s” crowd of organisers who also coincidentally happen to benefit from it monetarily and in exposure.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Teams are not as competitive because the game is more professional and professionalism brings the need for greater money. The greater the money the more competitive you can be. Maybe I'm biased but England have been involved in some truly great test matches in the last 18 months.
Or how about teams aren't competitive cause their best players want to be T20 mercenaries? ECB has had to resort to multi year contracts just to ensure that its top players dont go the T20 way. See, I dont blame the players- but let's also face the truth that no one is going to pay cricketers an amount more than their T20 contracts, just to turn up and play test cricket.

Even if corporates were to get in the game, it isn't feasible.
If other teams aren't that's on them and their approach.
Ha ha! how easily you make this point! My points with regards to WI have been treated by disdain whenever I've said it is up to their board. Now, when the tables are turned, you suddenly find yourself in primero uno position to make a similar statement. Hats off to you, mate!
Tell New Zealand that they aren't playing competitive test cricket after winning the World Test Championship - not that I think it matters as a tournament, but I know it hurts Indians, so it matters to them.
You know,maybe the WTC matters to about less than 5% Indians. I don't think anyone many are hurt by the twin WTC losses as compared to the CWC 2023 Final loss.
NZ have been a pale shadow of themselves since the inaugural WTC victory.

Your point on viewing audiences enjoying it, is biased on account of the fact that you hail from England. I've mentioned it previously that English and Australians are more invested in the test format than anyone else. So, the above is a pretty biased point.
If most teams can't afford to play test cricket do you say 'well, tough luck I guess it's over for you and your players'. I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but I that seems to be exactly what you think; 'the party is over, time pack up and only do what makes the most amount of money.' Or do you say, how can we (the ICC) make playing test cricket more feasible for all teams and players. Granted, maintaining three formats is difficult but that doesn't mean the primacy and value of test cricket can't be and shouldn't be maintained. There's many things the ICC could do although the reality is the ship has probably sailed due to the short-sighted decision making that has plagued the sport.
What about your point here - Isnt this an example of you asking the others to 'tough luck, manage it yourself'? Let us not have double standards, mate. I know you don't agree with my pointers, but this seems a tad shallow
If other teams aren't that's on them and their approach.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ha ha! how easily you make this point! My points with regards to WI have been treated by disdain whenever I've said it is up to their board. Now, when the tables are turned, you suddenly find yourself in primero uno position to make a similar statement. Hats off to you, mate!

What about your point here - Isnt this an example of you asking the others to 'tough luck, manage it yourself'? Let us not have double standards, mate. I know you don't agree with my pointers, but this seems a tad shallow

I think his point was about the playing styles of teams (hence why he said it’s on other teams choosing to not make their tests entertaining) and not the finances or viability of it, you’re mixing them up.

I do agree with you partly on that there isn’t a simple solution to this problem but we’ve been led to this problematic stage right here by short term thinking due to the previous custodians of cricket. People have rightly called out the hypocrisy on CA’s part for their new CEO’s comments on better resource sharing and scheduling when the same board under past individuals was involved in marginalisation.

I don’t find the quality of test cricket lacking personally. Ever since they made pitches a lot more bowling friendly across the globe to get results in tests have been great to watch for the most part. They sometimes overdo it with some of these pitches that spew out a complete result by days two or three but that’s far more preferable to the 2000s era string of draw after draw on highways. Just off the top of my head, the recent Bangladesh vs NZ series was quite entertaining. This Kiwi and Bangladeshi sides are both much better than what they had twenty years ago.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I think his point was about the playing styles of teams (hence why he said it’s on other teams choosing to not make their tests entertaining) and not the finances or viability of it, you’re mixing them up.
Yes this is what I meant. But England are in a position to be able to afford expensive coaches, their best players and more matches. Maybe Zimbabwe, Ireland are sat there thinking that they'd love to play that way but they hardly play any matches.

--

Look at this way. If I go out with family for a meal and somebody can't afford their share I wouldn't say "Sorry, you can come but not eat or only eat what you can pay for."

I think test cricket should be treated the same way; as a shared experience for everyone to enjoy. If someone wants to go get a Big Mac Meal afterwards that's up them.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Two quite interesting developments today.
The PSL officially became the second most valuable T20 league, judging by broadcast deals, even while operating in a destroyed national economy.
Also, in the UAE league, an Indian-owned team signed Imad Wasim, a Pakistani player, in a breach of the unspoken boycott in that league and in SA20 so far.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Two quite interesting developments today.
The PSL officially became the second most valuable T20 league, judging by broadcast deals, even while operating in a destroyed national economy.
Also, in the UAE league, an Indian-owned team signed Imad Wasim, a Pakistani player, in a breach of the unspoken boycott in that league and in SA20 so far.
Have they said: 'We're delighted to welcome Welsh cricketer Imad Wasim to our team?' accompanied with an AI generated image of him riding a dragon with a leek in it's mouth?

output.jpg

TByers_Cricket

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Does anyone know where I can watch the Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe series here in Australia? So hard to find highlights of it.... Thanks everyone

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
On cricket rights, who is going to show the matches of the U19 CWC? As far as I know, Disney Star have shot them in the foot by over paying for the Indian sub continent ICC rights. While they further sub-leased the same to Zee, Zee hasn't gotten any formal letters from the ICC.

The ICC also failed in selling the rights for the Rest of the World. The only rights holders I am aware of right now are:

Indian sub continent: Disney/ZEE
Australia: Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread