Getting back to the big time *Not a great day at the office AGAIN!*

Where will James Haywood guide West Brom to?

• Middle Table (7th-17th)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just survive relegation (18th-21st)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ARay

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
How dare you ignore my post? =O
I want a reply to boro managers comments :p

A good performance against Preston!
Chris wood is knocking at the door. I think the player deserves a shot against the big guns sooner or later :)

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
How dare you ignore my post? =O
I want a reply to boro managers comments :p

A good performance against Preston!
Chris wood is knocking at the door. I think the player deserves a shot against the big guns sooner or later :)
I'm sorry but your post wasn't there when I did the update lol otherwise I would have answered. Anyway I think the team answered your question, plus Chris Wood is a recommended youngster on the game, so he will come good later on in the season! :)

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
coca_cola_championship_logo_1__1.jpg

WBA_Crest.jpg
VS.
BadgeCrystal_Palace.gif

Brunts double not good enough for the Baggies
West Brom stretched their winless streak in the league to three games thanks to a 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace with Chris Brunt earning the man of the match award by scoring both goals.

Albion made changes from their midweek game and couldn?t have started any better when Chris Brunt scored from the tightest of angle to make it 1-0 after 6 minutes. Dean Kiely kept it that way on the 14th minute as he saved brilliantly one-on-one against Victor Moses, however he had no chance on the 26th minute when Darren Ambrose scored a screamer from the edge of the area to make it 1-1. Chris Wood did have a chance to score but his 20 yard shot went wide. On the 39th minute though, Chris Brunt scored his second of the game when he struck a free kick from 20 yards perfectly into the top corner. The Baggies had a deserved lead at the break.

Just 2 minutes after the break Palace drew level, Stern John got free of Jonas Olsson in the penalty area to head Darren Ambrose?s cross in from 6 yards. Albion did have chances to score but Wood and Bednar couldn?t beat the inspirational Speroni in the Palace goal. When the final whistle went the Palace fans cheered wildly realising their great performance.

James Haywood though did give some good news at the end of the game ?I know Scott (Carson) didn?t play today but I?m glad to say he is fully fit. I would be lying if we say that we hadn?t missed and I think recent results show that, especially ARay who notices these things!?. James Haywood did also get his wish in the Carling Cup as they have been drawn at home against Birmingham City in the fourth round.

0,,12306~5796259,00.jpg

Brunt celebrates his first goal
West Brom 2-2 Crystal Palace
Brunt 2
Ambrose, John

Teams:
West Brom: Kiely, Zuiverloon, Cech, Olsson, Barnett, Morrison, Brunt, Koren, Texeira, Wood, Bednar Unused Subs: Smithies, Jara, Meite, Dorrans, Thomas, Cox, Benjani
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Clyne (Ertl), Hill, Fonte, McCarthy, Ambrose (Carle), Keenan, N?Diaye, Danns, John (Lee), Moses Unused Subs: Flahavan, Davies, Lawrence, Hills

Other Results: Blackpool 1-1 Peterborough, Coventry 2-0 Middlesbrough, Derby 0-2 Bristol City, Ipswich 4-6 Newcastle, Leicester 4-4 Preston, QPR 0-1 Barnsley, Reading 3-2 Watford, Scunthorpe 0-0 Doncaster, Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Cardiff, Swansea 1-1 Sheffield United

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Go Palace. Draw them Baggies.

hedger_14 added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

saladguy, I thought you were cool :facepalm

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer

barnsley.gif
VS.
WBA_Crest.jpg

Baggies smash 8 as Tykes sack Davey
In what was to be Simon Davey?s last game in charge of bottom of the table Barnsley, West Brom hammered 8 goals to win 8-1 at Oakwell. Simon Cox was the star of the show as he managed to score 4 goals as Albion scored 5 in the last 15 minutes of the game as Barnsley looked to score.

In a very quiet first half, Albion took the lead thanks to Simon Cox placing the ball in from 6 yards after 16 minutes. They then came a period of domination by Barnsley but sadly no end product, however it showed promise that they could win the game in the second half.

Hopes of that were dashed immediately when Simon Cox blasted the ball in from 15 yards in the opening minute of the second half. Barnsley did pull it back to 2-1 as Bogdanovic headed the ball in from 6 yards with still forty minutes to go. Albion ended their dreams though when Koren scored to make it 3-1 in the 60th minute. Barnsley tried attacking by bringing on an extra forward, however it only lead what could be called ?Schoolboy football? with Albion scoring 5 times in the last 15 minutes. Cox got his hat-trick on the 77th minute, Koren then scored his second and third goals in the 79th and 85th minute, Cox got his forth on the 87th minute and Wood score the 8th in stoppage time. It was a frightening display of attacking football on the counter and even Chelsea would be impressed.

The result moved Albion back into second and with the return of inspirational captain Scott Carson in goal, West Brom will certainly be a hard team to beat from now on. Especially if they play like that each week. For Barnsley fans, they called for Davey?s head after the game and the announcement was made after 10 o?clock barely 30 minutes after the game had finished.

Simon-Davey_1868521.jpg

A Glum Simon Davey watches his final game as Barnsley manager
Barnsley 1-8 West Brom
Bogdanovic
Cox 4, Koren 3, Wood

Teams:
Barnsley: Steele, Kozluk, Eckersley, Foster, Hassell (A.Gray), Hume, J.Gray, Silva, Campbell-Ryce, Bogdanovic, Macken Unused Subs: Preece, Douglas, Colace, Butterfield, Devaney, Hammill
West Brom: Carson, Zuiverloon, Cech, Jara, Olsson, Texeira (Thomas), Brunt, Koren, Dorrans, Benjani (Wood), Cox Unused Subs: Smithies, Clement, Meite, Morrison, Bednar

Other Results: Bristol City 5-0 Blackpool, Cardiff 1-2 Derby, Crystal Palace 2-1Sheffield Wednesday, Doncaster 4-0 Swansea, Middlesbrough 2-0 Leicester, Peterborough 1-3 Plymouth, Preston 1-3 Reading, Sheffield United 1-1 Ipswich, Watford 2-1 Coventry

ARay

County Cricketer
Scott Carson's return = Sensational win for Albion
James Haywood has much to celebrate on such a match winning performance!

I shall take a little freedom and give an interesting headline :p (reporter's job)

Next Day's Headline:
Morrison caught up in pub brawl after emphatic win

Looks like James Haywood needs to have some serious discussion with Morrison over his behaviour.

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Go Palace. Draw them Baggies.

hedger_14 added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

saladguy, I thought you were cool :facepalm

You live in Australia, and support Man United (see your domestic team) :p So why the hell are you saying you're a Palace fan? :p

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Because I don't see much point in putting a Championship side as my favourite domestic team but I like Palace the same amount as I like Man Utd.

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
cocacola_championship.jpg

Preston_north_end_badge.gif
VS.
WBA_Crest.jpg

Late Elliot strike snatches Preston a point
West Brom once again had to settle for a point in a frustrating afternoon for the visitors as they were held to a 3-3 draw against Preston at Deepdale. Koren continued his fantastic form by bagging another goal, meanwhile Wood and Cox scoring the others for the Baggies. Marlon Harewood got 2 for Preston and Elliott?s late head sealed a point.

The Baggies started brightly with Cox having 2 shots saved in the opening few minutes. Albion continued to dominate and were rewarded on the 28th minute where Chris Wood got free in the box to head home Texeira?s cross to make it 1-0. Just five minutes later, it was 2-0 as Zuiverloon thumped a ball across the field to Robert Koren who fired in from 20 yards giving Henderson no chance. Within 4 minutes, Preston had managed to draw level, with Marlon Harewood responding quickest as Scott Carson fumbled a cross to make it 2-1 and then slotted home a one-on-one to make it 2-2.

In the second half, the Baggies regained the lead within 2 minutes of the break as Henderson who came out of the box to claim to ball got tackled by Cox and he tapped it in. Albion had several chances afterwards, Robert Koren hit the post and Marek Cech unbelievable 45 yard shot hit the crossbar. However, they were made to rue those missed chances in the 85th minute when Elliott met Karl Duguid?s cross perfectly to head the ball home from 10 yards. Hard luck on the Albion as they had dominated most of the game.

This result leaves many people asking questions about the defence, why were they so open after they took a 2-0 lead and also how can they concede simple goals to many times. All everyone knows is James Haywood will be looking for a defender in the January transfer window in 3 months time.
Preston 3-3 West Brom
Harewood 2, Elliott
Wood, Koren, Cox

Teams:
Preston: Henderson, Hart (Elliott), Davidson, Mawene, Chilvers, Sedgewick (Paterson), Parry, Duguid, Chaplow, Parkin, Harewood Unused subs: Lonergan, Carter, Nicholson, Nolan, Noble
West Brom: Carson, Zuiverloon, Cech (Clement), Olsson, Jara, Texeira, Brunt, Koren, Dorrans, Cox Morrison), Wood (Benjani) Unused Subs: Smithies, Meite, Thomas, Bednar

Other Results: Barnsley 1-1 Ipswich, Crystal Palace 3-0 Blackpool, Coventry 4-2 Leicester, Derby 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle 1-2 Bristol City, Peterborough 2-2 Nottingham Forest, Plymouth 2-0 Scunthorpe, Reading 1-0 Middlesbrough, Sheffield United 1-1 Doncaster, Swansea 0-2 QPR, Watford 2-2 Cardiff

ARay

County Cricketer
Even a good solid defensive midfielder might help your cause.
But I think you need a strong centre defender pairing to keep out those dangerous crosses.

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer

WBA_Crest.jpg
VS.
150px-Reading_badge.png

Five star Baggies crush ten man Reading
West Brom moved themselves back into 3rd place in the championship thanks to an awesome performance in the 5-1 victory against Reading at The Hawthorns. Robert Koren scored 2 goals either side of the break with Brunt, Benjani and a first goal for Meite settled the points for the Baggies.

Albion dominated the early stages with a string corners that really lead to nothing but on the 18th minute, their continuous pressure was rewarded as Chris Brunt fired in the opener off a James Morrison cross. On the half hour mark, it was 2-0 Benjani hitting a cracker from the edge of the box into the top corner, once again assisted by Morrison. Any hope of Reading getting back into the game were dashed as O?Dea got sent off for a second bookable offence on the 36th minute. 2 minutes before half time it was 3-0 as Meite scored his first goal for the Baggies when he smacked Chris Brunt?s corner in and then in injury time, Koren got his first and Albion?s fourth with a brilliant shot from the edge of the area.

Reading did start the brightest in the second half as Scott Carson made a string of saves to deny Long and Cisse. Reading looked like they were going to score next but it was the Baggies who got their fifth thanks to Mills tripping Benjani in the area allowing Robert Koren to smash the penalty in. Long did get a consolation goal in the 78th minute but it was too late and victory for the Baggies was sweet.

leaguetablewn.jpg
West Brom 5-1 Reading
Brunt, Benjani, Meite, Koren 2
Long

Teams:
West Brom: Carson, Zuiverloon, Clement, Meite, Barnett, Dorrans, Koren, Texeira, Morrison (Wood), Brunt (Thomas), Benjani Unused Subs: Smithies, Cech, Jara, Cox, Bednar
Reading: Federici, Pearce, Armstrong, Mills, O?Dea, Cisse, Matejovsky, Howard (Long), Henry, McAnuff (Betrand), Rasiak (Ingimarsson) Unused Subs: Bell, Cummings, Tabb, Gunnarsson

Other Results: Blackpool 2-2 Plymouth, Bristol City 4-0 Peterborough, Cardiff 0-2 Crystal Palace, Doncaster 1-1 Barnsley, Ipswich 2-1 Swansea, Middlesbrough 3-1 Watford, Nottingham Forest 1-1 Newcastle, Leicester 3-2 Derby, QPR 1-2 Preston, Scunthorpe 0-0 Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Coventry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you might be able to tell, I did switch to a 4-5-1 for this game and it worked so I'll probably play it in the next game! :)

JBlues08

Club Captain
Despite all the ups and downs you had, you are still within a shout of automatic promotion. So, good job there. But conceding goals continuously is not really ideal for teams even if you are winning. The goal difference may matter in the end.

Last edited:

ARay

County Cricketer
This is the squad that thrashed Preston:
West Brom: Kiely, Zuiverloon, Clement, Barnett, Meite, Reid, Thomas, Dorrans, Texeira, Wood, Cox (Munian) Unused subs: Allsop, Olsson, Morrison, Koren, Brunt, Benjani

This is the squad they struggled with Preston:
West Brom: Carson, Zuiverloon, Cech (Clement), Olsson, Jara, Texeira, Brunt, Koren, Dorrans, Cox Morrison), Wood (Benjani) Unused Subs: Smithies, Meite, Thomas, Bednar

Where did it go wrong I wonder? :what

A good victory against Reading. Though Scott Carson being forced to make so many saves means that the defense is still shaky.

Users who are viewing this thread