Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

Holy crap, I keep an eye on this thread more than any other and Biggs talking bollocks has made it explode. It is only my opinion and many others by the looks, but this issue has virtually ruined the enjoyment of batting. I realise it depends on the game mode you play but for me I have had to uninstall patches to enjoy batting again.

Maybe some of us have posted too much on the subject, me included, but I think it was because HBK didn't seem to think there was an issue early on after patch 2.

It really has been a gamebreaker for me and I've been quite vocal because I think the game would go from a 7/10 to a 9/10 if it's fixed.

You are spot on mate. I think the issue is quite serious because of two reasons. Firstly it has broken the batting system. Fair enough if there were minor issues such as "ball going through the bat" issue I could live with that. But this issue has destroyed the fun in batting. I cannot have fun anymore batting with the aerial shots. Playing the XBOX 360 (pre-patched) version I had so much fun batting. I couldn't believe how amazing it was.

Secondly, it is BigAnt who have somehow ruined the batting with the patches. It wasn't really broken in the first place, yet the patches have broken the game. I do not bat anymore it just isn't worth it.

I would hope that BigAnt would provide a fix for this promptly PRIOR to Patch 3 coming out. Or provide some type of temporary solution so at least we can enjoy batting again - even it if means to provide an optional update that removes all patches from the PC version I would definitely accept that as a temporary solution.

Ugh, almost had my first career fifty on Pro cam/Legend just now... Was on 47 from 48 balls and playing really nicely, get a short ball and pulled it, hit really sweetly and flew off the bat... Only for the player at forward point to make a nonchalant one handed catch high to his left... So frustrating :mad.

Happened to me a number of times. Drives me crazy.

Sure sure, but the triggers work just fine as they are now. Don't always go for four and keep the ball along the ground...

It's not perfect, but I would debate the merits of 15 pages on the topic vs getting better at timing and using the triggers.

As I said, I think there's room for improvement clearly for some of y'all but a I'm reading a lot of waxing lyrical about this "issue" which I think everyone is aware of and is in need of maybe being a bit more flexible when it comes to the non-trigger shots. But as it stands, there is a function in the game certainly on PC that does exactly what you need it to do when it comes to driving the ball in PRO mode.

Fair point. But (a) you have to premeditate if your going to use both triggers at once - unless your hand / eye coordination is out of this world (b) the triggers require better timing - which makes sense considering they're aggressive ground shots, but if you just want to drive the ball - not necessarily looking to hit a four - you shouldn't be required to use the triggers and (c) playing the ball on the ground should be the games default setting (unless you stuff up the timing completely). Hitting a nice cover drive only for it to be caught at short cover every single time, does not make for a good game or a good batting experience.

It's comical how I can simply state it's not that big of a deal because they're clearly fixing it and there's already a mechanic in place to do the exact thing y'all want to do, and pretty much 80% of people are on the same page as me, but that's defined as "bollocks"...

This thread is amazing.

I think you're spot on. Someone's looking into fixing it and we should applaud BA for actually giving a crap when issues are raised.

But I also think that this thread would have petered out if you'd not jumped in and said - you guyz are cwaaaaazzzzzyyyyyy for continuing to discuss this for like a bazillion pages!!!! Or stating that it's essentially a minor problem with a built in fix. That was only going to stir the pot given the previous 15 pages.

TBH this thread had mostly constructive feedback everyone involved has been trying to get the issue in a positive manner apart from the last 5 pages of questioning a thread's existence and nobody here threw the kitchen sink out like in quite a few other threads, seriously its funny to have people say "OO this doesnt need a thread cause i have a workaround that you may not like but have to live with till it is fixed".

I don't know why these people bother a few extra bytes in PC server for you to ignore if its not an issue for you.

Also i have to say a lot of people here playing have better workarounds than pressing double trigger its not like we are not able to score or anything, its an issue with regards to how batting is playing out and has been raised accordingly. [HASHTAG]#thatsALL[/HASHTAG]

on hindsight maybe Biggs also wants the issue fixed as he has stirred a quiet pot:p

Last edited:
It's comical how I can simply state it's not that big of a deal because they're clearly fixing it and there's already a mechanic in place to do the exact thing y'all want to do, and pretty much 80% of people are on the same page as me, but that's defined as "bollocks"...

This thread is amazing.

There isn't a mechanic to do what people want, which is play a normal shot with normal timing and keep it on the ground.

The suggested solution/workaround/mechanic is to play an aggressive shot. That isn't the same thing, and requires premeditation and different timing: I don't think it's much of a solution at all particularly at higher game levels.

If the game mechanic was right, an aggressive shot of any kind (lofted or grounded) would be a higher risk shot than a normal one; that the grounded aggressive shot is apparently less risky than a normal shot is indicative of something fundamentally wrong, not a minor issue.

@grkrama :Another tip for playing at legend is to get past the first 10 overs without losing wickets, then you are most likely to end up getting 250 runs in total and the easy way for getting to 250 is play the full 50 overs...It might be difficult but try to do so...When I have played 50 over matches I usually end up at 220-260 , sometimes lower when its a bowling pitch...But its fun to play without any assists as you have to watch the ball and play accordingly...I surely premeditate sometimes as to get through the over or rotate the strike...

ya will try that, right now i almost always loose a wicket in the first couple of overs, once i get through the first 10-15 odd overs it becomes easy to score.

ya will try that, right now i almost always loose a wicket in the first couple of overs, once i get through the first 10-15 odd overs it becomes easy to score.
Yeah that happens a lot for me as well, you just need to survive those....

you guyz are cwaaaaazzzzzyyyyyy for continuing to discuss this for like a bazillion pages!!!!

I didn't say that at all. Agreed with the rest, I was just bored of seeing this issue brought up again and again (not just in this thread, but most others) when they're already across it and I just (still) don't get the idea that this sort of thing ruins the game for people. Fairplay if it does, I'm not gonna berate you for it (or refer to your posts as "shit" like some petulant child) ...but it's not something I see/get or understand the frustration. I'm having way too much fun. I also didn't get all personal about it either, I just made a post that for whatever obtuse reason, ruffled a few people. I didn't lose any sleep over it. Matt's got a bunch of video of both of us playing along the ground shots with both the trigger and no trigger in online mode... Playing a proper test match at the moment where we've nailed plenty of shots along the ground between us with all the available trigger or non trigger options. So maybe the aerial drive shots only affect career mode or something? Because basically, just not seeing what a few other people are. Feel free to continue to lynch me for it.

Addendum; That's also to say that I don't think it's been fixed or its not happening, but the times we've specifically stated "no trigger" in chat dialogue, it's been a fluid drive down the ground and things like. I don't think either of us have "got out" online with non-trigger aerial shots. Its mostly edges to the keeper and bowled and a couple of outfield catches. Perhaps it's just a online vs. offline oddity which we do know exist.

maybe Biggs also wants the issue fixed as he has stirred a quiet pot

Pretty confident everyones allowed to post opinions on whatever they want, otherwise Naveenncc would never have made it past the sign-up page. I'm not stirring any pot. I'm just posting my observations. I encourage anyone to disagree with me, that's called discussion. It's also fun when you get different perspectives on things.

The suggested solution/workaround/mechanic is to play an aggressive shot. That isn't the same thing, and requires premeditation and different timing: I don't think it's much of a solution at all particularly at higher game levels.

The thing is, in my play sessions, it's really only an aggressive shot if you time it well. In longer formats (First Class Matches, or pretty much any time online) it's almost always a drive off the pitch for 2. That's down to a timing thing for me. I can occasionally time it poorly and it just bobbles out to a player. I played a T20 career game last night when I mis-timed the trigger drive and it spooned out and bounced short of midwicket. So it's definitely not a guaranteed "power shot" every time. Like everything else in the game, it's all down to your timing and the quality of the opponent in career mode... which again, I'm having reasonable success in keeping the ball along the ground without it. The exception being the flick of the legs which continues to be mostly aerial without the trigger.

Pretty confident everyones allowed to post opinions on whatever they want, otherwise Naveenncc would never have made it past the sign-up page. I'm not stirring any pot. I'm just posting my observations. I encourage anyone to disagree with me, that's called discussion. It's also fun when you get different perspectives on things.
I will try better with :p smiley next time. not having a go at you at all, just cant understand why you would be bothered with the existence of an extra thread that's atleast a bit relevant to an issue at hand.

I do get your point but as has been stated its not a solution for most of us even in an interim way, there are some other workarounds like playing with the field, that gives better results.

this is as much an issue as field settings and why its brought up on multiple places was, this was not a bug to be reported and left of it was actually an issue like fielding though less apparent and needed people to voice it out and arrive to an conclusion that its actually an issue in the game.

@Biggs - I wasn't "calling your posts 'shit' like some petulant child", I was calling out that you constantly shitpost. That's a term for stuff like posting worthless/inane shite, derailing threads, bad attempts at being funny etc. which you are quite prolific at. At times it's pretty insufferable to be honest.

If you need a definition/origin of the term... here
Shitposting | Know Your Meme

Users who are viewing this thread