Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

The prob here is defensive trigger is for its own set of shot collection, it doesn't work in the way of suppressing a straight drive.

So can we get back to how straight drives should play instead of powering defensive shots.

Pretty much the number 1 rule of batting is to keep the ball on the deck, but with some shots in the game they travel quite far before they bounce.

Even with a cut or pull shot which aren't the safest shots in real life, batsmen do usually try to hit them downwards into the pitch and often beat the fielders at square leg or point for pace - in the game I can't replicate this because the ball seems to bounce at around the inner circle.

Also the late cut often gets middled straight into the hands of 4th slip, when in real life you'd try to make sure this kept low and gave them only a chance of an awkward stop at most.

In a way it's better to have too much risk to these shots than not enough, making scoring too easy, but I think a better balance could be struck.

Edit - Just to be clear, I'm not hating on the game, I love it and think it's fantastic and have really enjoyed playing it. I'm just saying what I personally think could be improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear, I'm not hating on the game, I love it and think it's fantastic and have really enjoyed playing it. I'm just saying what I personally think could be improved.
^This love the game to the core, If ross boycotts ship and goes on vacation with the whole crew(which they truly deserve)..would still take this copy of DBC over any other cricket game made and will still be the best virtual cricket i have ever played, just pointing out areas were i think it can get a little more closer to reality.

OK, so I tried to recreate what I mean and I swear this is the first over I tried. All of the deliveries were green in colour so I played front foot drives to them all. The bowler dropped me four times one shot went uppishly past the bowler and one ball hit my pads.
I would also say all of these balls apart from the one that hit my pad are possible to straight drive.

The next over I tried back foot drives with the result of three bowler drops and the other balls were not drivable, a couple of overs later I had 5 out of 6 balls which the bowler dropped.

Don't try to tell me my timing is out because I have experimented with timing and it makes no difference.

OK, so I tried to recreate what I mean and I swear this is the first over I tried. All of the deliveries were green in colour so I played front foot drives to them all. The bowler dropped me four times one shot went uppishly past the bowler and one ball hit my pads.
I would also say all of these balls apart from the one that hit my pad are possible to straight drive.

The next over I tried back foot drives with the result of three bowler drops and the other balls were not drivable, a couple of overs later I had 5 out of 6 balls which the bowler dropped.

Don't try to tell me my timing is out because I have experimented with timing and it makes no difference.

For the shot played, with that much followthrough, that's pretty much what I'd expect.

It seems that the issue here may well be the lack of a shot spectrum between a straight drive with so much followthrough, and one without.

Oh well, another thing to the list of things that can be improved in the future.

Again, the bowler really shouldn't be getting a hand to that.

This perfectly reflects the issues I'm having with the straight drive. Or frankly any shot where the ball is a good length.

Like everything, we will give it time to settle down before resorting to making any changes.

From our perspective, nothing changed with the way the ball comes off the bat from those specific shots.

We've tweaking the way Pro and Veteran difficulties work with regards to leniency and aiding of footwork, which may effect how you're timing the shots now.

Change and difference, doesn't mean bad and remember we have JUST pushed this patch so we need people to get used to every change made as well. We need to fully assess what people are getting across 3 platforms before making a change too. It's worth noting that people who have been playing PC with patch 2 have not noted the ball coming off the bat in the air, perspectives can change dependent on what system you have played on or if at all (we've noticed this quite strongly in the aftermath of patch 2).

We will assess things after the dust has settled.

Hey HBK,

Just wanted to know if you have decided to fix this issue for patch 3. I think since you made this post a lot of people have been complaining about shots going way too uppish when no triggers are used.

I know its pretty much ruined my enjoyment of batting since patch 2 (on ps3 by the way). I always used no triggers as my go to safe kind of shot, I have tried alternatives like both triggers pressed but nothing seems to work and would love the no trigger shots to go back to pre patch 2 trajectory. I'm convinced its not a timing issue as I have played and experimented for hours.

Thanks for any info.

Hey HBK,

Just wanted to know if you have decided to fix this issue for patch 3. I think since you made this post a lot of people have been complaining about shots going way too uppish when no triggers are used.

I know its pretty much ruined my enjoyment of batting since patch 2 (on ps3 by the way). I always used no triggers as my go to safe kind of shot, I have tried alternatives like both triggers pressed but nothing seems to work and would love the no trigger shots to go back to pre patch 2 trajectory. I'm convinced its not a timing issue as I have played and experimented for hours.

Thanks for any info.

Yup. Basically everything remains as is except standard pull & cut shots go along the ground.

I've found that the following shots go airborne for a while at least (as I've been caught off most of them)

1. Straight Drive (extensively known by all)
2. Pull/Hook shot (front and back foot)
3. Leg glance (normally carries to the edge of the inner ring)
4. Cover drive (front and back foot)
5. Cut shots

Doesn't matter how well you time these, they'll fly, and you'll be caught. Leg glances can carry to the inner ring very close to the ground.

I find that I'm holding both triggers no matter what shot I play, and decide at the last second to release one or the other.

I've found that the following shots go airborne for a while at least (as I've been caught off most of them)

1. Straight Drive (extensively known by all)
2. Pull/Hook shot (front and back foot)
3. Leg glance (normally carries to the edge of the inner ring)
4. Cover drive (front and back foot)
5. Cut shots

Doesn't matter how well you time these, they'll fly, and you'll be caught. Leg glances can carry to the inner ring very close to the ground.

I find that I'm holding both triggers no matter what shot I play, and decide at the last second to release one or the other.

Pull/Hook & Cut shots are the biggest culprits IMO and need to be fixed ASAP.

Pull/Hook & Cut shots are the biggest culprits IMO and need to be fixed ASAP.

Thats odd, because I would say drives are worse, maybe its because I dont play cuts, pulls and hooks as often but I seem to get away with those more. What format are you on? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Thats odd, because I would say drives are worse, maybe its because I dont play cuts, pulls and hooks as often but I seem to get away with those more. What format are you on? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Both casual and career mode (mostly). Problem is that AI always puts a field with Square Leg & Mid Wkt, or Fwd Square Leg & Short Mid Wkt, and sooner or later you hit to one of the leg side fielders.

Both casual and career mode (mostly). Problem is that AI always puts a field with Square Leg & Mid Wkt, or Fwd Square Leg & Short Mid Wkt, and sooner or later you hit to one of the leg side fielders.

Same here. You get a juicy bouncer, time it perfectly and forward square leg snaffles it, often with one hand.

Has BA acknowledged the uppish shots as a problem? Is this something that's going to be fixed.

Has anyone also noticed the lack of leg byes. I don't think I've ever taken one, nor the guy at the other end. This might have something to do with the fact that taking quick singles is tough due to the movement of the fielders. I've also never taken a bye.

The lack of LBs and B isn't the end of the world, but it does detract from the realism.

Same here. You get a juicy bouncer, time it perfectly and forward square leg snaffles it, often with one hand.

Has BA acknowledged the uppish shots as a problem? Is this something that's going to be fixed.

Has anyone also noticed the lack of leg byes. I don't think I've ever taken one, nor the guy at the other end. This might have something to do with the fact that taking quick singles is tough due to the movement of the fielders. I've also never taken a bye.

The lack of LBs and B isn't the end of the world, but it does detract from the realism.

I tried to get HBK to answer if they now acknowledged it as a problem since patch 2, but he never replied. I really hope they have looked into it because there are way too many people complaining about it for it not to exist.

I love the game and Patch 2 has fixed loads of things, but the batting is now not half as enjoyable for me. In order to make sure I don't get out I premeditate every shot to just one area of the field where I know there is no infielder, instead of reacting to the ball which is delivered. That makes batting not much fun, I've tried alternative strategies/buttons but they don't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread