Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

The issue with playing the ball in the air has nothing to do with a crap 16 year old, it has happened since patch 2 and has got to the point where I can only hit a shot where there is no infielder or I will probably be caught. Sometimes this means I can only play one shot in one direction to have little risk involved. Playing the game is just not fun for me anymore since patch 2 because of this.

You are 100% correct, the timing is tighter because it's an aggressive shot.

It's possible to hit any of the shots along the ground but the aggressive ground shot is most consistent when you time it correctly and when it is used appropriately.

In fact that's the key with all the shots really in reality.

when you time it correctly[/I] and when it is used appropriately.

Most people start career mode expecting to instantly own with the bat. But they are missing a key detail. Your player is a 16 year old with no skill points whatsoever. You really must play within your capabilities. Whilst you as a human gamer might be capable of timing the shot perfectly, your player on the other hand, is not capable of making the shot effectively. Play within your means because it will take a few seasons to get any kind of meaningful skill points under your belt. Consider 10-20 runs to be a satisfying goal for a while. You're a crap player facing seasoned pros.

This goes for spin bowling too, you wont get any Warne style leg breaks or Murali style doosras. Focus instead on line and length and getting the mechanics down.

Your player is rubbish. Remember that.

I have to remember this, although hearing guys scoring tonnes in their first career year is a little disheartening.

I'm also not sure that it's entirely true for spinning. I just came off a 7 for 23 spell (but was only able to score 5 before I played a seriously poor shot) ...

It's possible to hit any of the shots along the ground but the aggressive ground shot is most consistent when you time it correctly and when it is used appropriately.

citation required im yet to see anyone post a slow clear interactive replay of a pure drive without trigger that actually bounces of the pitch and goes.

I think a lot of people are having placebo effect were just because a well time shot clears the fielder they think its actually a grounded shot due to the excellent sound effects,but from the numerous times i have scrutinized that shot with interactive replay in slow mo im yet to see the ball touching the pitch after coming of the bat for drives without triggers.

If somebody can prove this wrong with a clear interactive replay vid in slow mo, no one would be more happy than me.

I'm not worried about scoring or making runs which can certainly be done by tackling he AI and being selective in shots, but this is about the important cricketing shots that's the drives feeling right and playing out right, as the excellent animations and sound effects that accompany it.

Another thing, the game is certainly insanely enjoyable and playable even with this nitpick, this is just a feel right option that would make it better, and from a batting perspective will make it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
You are 100% correct, the timing is tighter because it's an aggressive shot.

Most people start career mode expecting to instantly own with the bat. But they are missing a key detail. Your player is a 16 year old with no skill points whatsoever. You really must play within your capabilities. Whilst you as a human gamer might be capable of timing the shot perfectly, your player on the other hand, is not capable of making the shot effectively. Play within your means because it will take a few seasons to get any kind of meaningful skill points under your belt. Consider 10-20 runs to be a satisfying goal for a while. You're a crap player facing seasoned pros.

This goes for spin bowling too, you wont get any Warne style leg breaks or Murali style doosras. Focus instead on line and length and getting the mechanics down.

Your player is rubbish. Remember that.
I appreciate and agree with all of that, however what I mention is still happening regardless of the teams or players used, with the shots being performed to suitable deliveries.

But... but... instant gratification!
I like games to have a learning curve and not offer instant gratification... That's not the issue here.

The trajectory that the standard shots take isn't lifelike, making them dangerous to play regardless of execution, which takes away from the realism/immersion.

It's most evident by the sheer number of caught & bowled opportunities presented from straight drives, which the AI drops almost every time. I've had this happen three times in an over.

If I play straight drives back down the ground with no triggers with a variety of timing, the ball is always at catchable height for the bowler and often will carry to mid on/off, this did not happen pre patch 2.

Well, now I think about it these settings sound perfect for batting on a damp wicket where the ball doesn't come on.

I've popped up infield catches driving on crappy northern batting wickets loads of times, and it really does feel like you can't get a good piece of the ball on the drive without putting it in the air.

In those situations the best plan really is to avoid driving unless it's a rank half volley or a full toss.

I like games to have a learning curve and not offer instant gratification... That's not the issue here.

The trajectory that the standard shots take isn't lifelike, making them dangerous to play regardless of execution, which takes away from the realism/immersion.

It's most evident by the sheer number of caught & bowled opportunities presented from straight drives, which the AI drops almost every time. I've had this happen three times in an over.

I have no idea how you're playing shots, but picking the space and hitting the right shots for the balls on offer is not dangerous in the slightest. I don't know, I still play mostly on pro but I don't seem to have the same issues as you, my problems with batting are down to being a bit too keen on playing across my legs, giving away a few too many LBWs.

I play plenty of "realistic" shots and don't seem to have the problems you're having. The only shots that are hard to keep down are pull and cut shots, and they should be hard to keep down.

The straight drive issue is another kettle of fish all together though. That is different to elsewhere in the field. It seems that the issue is that anything near a player is given as a catching chance, and that there is nothing in place to allow shots to fly away if the chance is missed. If you sit down and watch a match you'll see plenty of balls that are technically catchable pass the bowler, the key is that they don't have lighting reflexes to always get something onto it.

@BigAntStudios I think if there's still a chance for patch 3, something needs to be put in place that for catching chances, that if there is no attempt at catching it offered, that in some of the harder cases it just goes past the fielder (most importantly the bowler). It would reduce this issue by orders of magnitude.

I know you don't like giving comments on things that in ongoing development before anything is in place, but is it at all possible that such at thing could be looked at?

----------

If I play straight drives back down the ground with no triggers with a variety of timing, the ball is always at catchable height for the bowler and often will carry to mid on/off, this did not happen pre patch 2.

Yes it did. Happens in real life too. The issue with the bowler is as mentioned above.

If I have the time to play a few matches today, I'll make a video.

If it were a simple case of me executing the shots poorly or bad shot selection then I'd have no complaints, but it's the trajectories that they take even with optimal timing and relevance that makes them dangerous.

I have no idea how you're playing shots, but picking the space and hitting the right shots for the balls on offer is not dangerous in the slightest. I don't know, I still play mostly on pro but I don't seem to have the same issues as you, my problems with batting are down to being a bit too keen on playing across my legs, giving awayi a few too many LBWs.

I play plenty of "realistic" shots and don't seem to have the problems you're having. The only shots that are hard to keep down are pull and cut shots, and they should be hard to keep down.

The straight drive issue is another kettle of fish all together though. That is different to elsewhere in the field. It seems that the issue is that anything near a player is given as a catching chance, and that there is nothing in place to allow shots to fly away if the chance is missed. If you sit down and watch a match you'll see plenty of balls that are technically catchable pass the bowler, the key is that they don't have lighting reflexes to always get something onto it.

@BigAntStudios I think if there's still a chance for patch 3, something needs to be put in place that for catching chances, that if there is no attempt at catching it offered, that in some of the harder cases it just goes past the fielder (most importantly the bowler). It would reduce this issue by orders of magnitude.

I know you don't like giving comments on things that in ongoing development before anything is in place, but is it at all possible that such at thing could be looked at?

----------

Yes it did. Happens in real life too. The issue with the bowler is as mentioned above.

How the heck does every straight drive go at catchable height to the bowler in real life, thats complete crap. In real life if you play a straight drive as late as you can it will hit into the ground, in the game after patch 2, it now hits in the air no matter how late you play it

How the heck does every straight drive go at catchable height to the bowler in real life, thats complete crap. In real life if you play a straight drive as late as you can it will hit into the ground, in the game after patch 2, it now hits in the air no matter how late you play it

You definitely get straight drives to hit the pitch if played right off the right delivery. To say that you can always do it though is ridiculous.

Just from the mechanics of it, at a good height most straight drives will remain off the ground until they're at least past the keeper, if not further. The key is that they aren't likely to be caught the vast majority of the time, and the bowler is almost certainly not going to get anything to them.

You definitely get straight drives to hit the pitch if played right off the right delivery. To say that you can always do it though is ridiculous.

Just from the mechanics of it, at a good height most straight drives will remain off the ground until they're at least past the keeper, if not further. The key is that they aren't likely to be caught the vast majority of the time, and the bowler is almost certainly not going to get anything to them.

It's not ridiculous, I will try to make a video later and I bet if the balls are straight enough I can show you a full over where every ball reaches the bowler without bouncing using no triggers for each shot.

My point is before patch 2 most balls would bounce before the bowler but now most if not all do not.

Last edited:
It's not ridiculous, I will try to make a video later and I bet if the balls are straight enough I can show you a full over where every ball reaches the bowler without bouncing using no triggers for each shot.

So what you're saying is that you're playing whatever shot you like regardless of the ball and complaining that it goes wrong sometimes.

Rightyo mate.

So what you're saying is that you're playing whatever shot you like regardless of the ball and complaining that it goes wrong sometimes.

Rightyo mate.

No I'm saying if I get a ball perfect for a straight drive, i.e. good/full length and I play a straight drive it will always go at catchable height to the bowler, if I use no triggers, which did not happen pre patch 2

Callout to everyone who say they can get the ball to bounce of the pitch with normal drives without using triggers,please make a video of it(clear ones captured in interactive replay slo mo) i will transfer all my vcash to you.

Nobody is saying that straight drives should always come of the pitch but the contrary is happening the straight drive is always levitated until it crosses the pitch.This shouldn't be happening either.

Not just straight drive were its apparent the most but all the drives from the cover drive to ondrive always never bounces of the pitch.

Callout to everyone who say they can get the ball to bounce of the pitch with normal drives without using triggers,please make a video of it(clear ones captured in interactive replay slo mo) i will transfer all my vcash to you.
This good enough?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread