Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

So before we get looking at this thing in the office. We need a few things to be clarified so we can pinpoint the issue.

When is this occurring for you guys? As in start of an innings (so always), when you've built into an innings, when at full confidence, etc.

ALWAYS

What difficulty is this occurring on? Rookie, Amatuer, Pro, Veteran, Legend, Online? Are the effects different per different difficulties for you?

I PLAYED ON ROOKIE, AMATEUR, PRO AND VET, PRESENT ON ALL

What shots does it occur on? All? Specific? Aggressive? Non-Aggressive? Defensive? Grounded? Unorthodox? Advanced?

ONLY NOTICED ON NON TRIGGER SHOTS

If we can get a few real clear responses to this then we can dive into it and really get down to what may be the issue.

Thanks HBK, really appreciate you looking at this.

@HBK619

When is this occurring for you guys? All the time, whether my boy has confidence or not.

What difficulty is this occurring on? I play Pro, Career mode. I play Veteran when I do match practise, I didn't notice much difference - but I don't do match practise a lot.

What shots does it occur on? I notice it on "normal" (no trigger) shots. I've also had defensive (L2) shots go more in the air than I'd expect. I expect aggressive (R2) shots to go in the air, and struggle to play ground aggressive shots (because pressing both triggers alters the way I move the analog sticks. I'm working on it)

It is most noticeable (for me) with Pull and Cut shots, but drives do it too. Paradoxically, leg glances (when I don't get it late) off either the front or back foot
go along the ground better after patch 2 than they did before it.

I have a video I posted of a defensive shot that went aerially, when I really didn't feel it should have - I don't know if that's of any use, @Ross has suggested that the graphical representation doesn't quite match what's going on under the hood.

this is exactly my experience

all shots more uppish except for leg glances which are now more likely to be grounded

When is this occurring for you guys? - All the time, any batsman with any confidence.

What difficulty is this occurring on? - I play on veteran, and occasionally online, although less of these chances are caught online (not much time to react) but they are still presented.

What shots does it occur on? - On the normal (no trigger) shots. It's most prominent on straight drives but to be honest I notice the same uppish trajectory on all of the shots.
Many shots are simply suicidal with certain fielders in place because you will middle it straight into their hands. The pull, cut and late cut are clear examples.

Thanks for looking into this :).

When is this occurring for you guys? - I haven't noticed much variation. Most of the time when I bat I get 20 - 40 odd at around a run a ball so that's the situation when I've most noticed it.

What difficulty is this occurring on? - I play career legend exclusively.

What shots does it occur on? - Similar pattern to everyone else on the no trigger shots. Straight drives pop up at the bowler so frequently that I avoid the shot. The leg glance I feel I have to avoid if there's a leg gully or short midwicket. The cut shot I've not played very much but seems to always be airborne. The pull shot for me always goes at catchable height, usually square.
The on drive hasn't got me out much but the ball often falls just short of mid-on. The cover drives I haven't had much of a problem with, but the game keeps leaving me a huge gap in the field through cover for some reason so there's rarely anyone to take the catch.

gkrama's video sums it up nicely. Even when I'm absolutely hammering a drive out of the middle it's still airborne, skimming low and bouncing for the first time near the edge of the fielding circle.

Overall, the frustration is that it feels like being sucker punched. The game makes it nigh impossible to keep these shots on the floor properly and then posts fielders in short to take advantage.

@grkrama : Add Pull ,leg glance and Pull shots videos as well...Will explain the problem very well....:cheers

When is this occurring for you guys? - All the time, any batsman with any confidence.

What difficulty is this occurring on? - I play on veteran, and occasionally online, although less of these chances are caught online (not much time to react) but they are still presented.

What shots does it occur on? - On the normal (no trigger) shots. It's most prominent on straight drives but to be honest I notice the same uppish trajectory on all of the shots.
Many shots are simply suicidal with certain fielders in place because you will middle it straight into their hands. The pull, cut and late cut are clear examples.

This is true, and that's why I don't get the point of this feedback thing.

It's 100% of batsman, 100% of the time on pretty much 100% of shots.

You don't need feedback you just need to play the game for 5 minutes.

We are going to be looking into this over the next couple of weeks, I have spoken to the programmer in charge of this aspect of the game and he can't think of any reason why there'd have been a change.

But I am fine with seeing if there's something there that is causing issue. We'll weigh it all up and see if there's changes needed.

Thanks so much for looking into this.... Its ruining my batting and the fun due to this issue.

----------

When is this occurring for you guys? As in start of an innings (so always), when you've built into an innings, when at full confidence, etc.

With all batsman settled unsettled, tailender or opener everybody, at all times whenever the drives or shots without using triggers is executed this is noticeable.

What difficulty is this occurring on? Rookie, Amatuer, Pro, Veteran, Legend, Online? Are the effects different per different difficulties for you?
Its present in all difficulties, I specifically tried it out in all difficulties just to be sure, one thing that changes is veteran and upwards bowler catches more.

What shots does it occur on? All? Specific? Aggressive? Non-Aggressive? Defensive? Grounded? Unorthodox? Advanced?

All the drives without using triggers.Very noticeable in straight drives, but the uppism is present in all other drives and shots without using any triggers.It is there in both Front foot and Backfoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also @HBK619 will we be able to play shots like AI does like these

AI DRIVES

The main thing is when we play, the ball never ever ever ever touches the pitch for pure drives like how it touches in shots above for AI, instead always glides over the pitch however low or high it is, can you shed some light on that, is it intended to be like that for players or how?

PLAYER DRIVES

Ditto..

Last edited by a moderator:

Just to add a little more - I played some more without any patches, and was thoroughly enjoying batting (although that may have been because a batsman was bowling from one end). Cutting, pulling, driving - all the shots were there, and I only had trouble when I made a mistake.

Then I reinstalled patch 2, and went back to my usual career. Hit a late cut from a medium pacer, and it went straight to gully. :(

I'm not sure if it's related, @HBK619, but I want to mention the weirdness that occurs when bowling too. I just got dilscooped for six. I'm an off-break bowler, I don't think there's a batsman on the planet strong enough to hit that for six ...

Just to add a little more - I played some more without any patches, and was thoroughly enjoying batting (although that may have been because a batsman was bowling from one end). Cutting, pulling, driving - all the shots were there, and I only had trouble when I made a mistake.

Then I reinstalled patch 2, and went back to my usual career. Hit a late cut from a medium pacer, and it went straight to gully. :(

I'm not sure if it's related, @HBK619, but I want to mention the weirdness that occurs when bowling too. I just got dilscooped for six. I'm an off-break bowler, I don't think there's a batsman on the planet strong enough to hit that for six ...
I hate getting out late cutting to gully, done it so many times... Almost got out of the habit now but still do it occasionally.

Of course it makes sense to look at the field and try to play your shots accordingly, but I think with the current state of the batting means that gets exaggerated to 'what are my one or two safe shots?' and I just block or leave the ones I can't get into those areas.

I hate getting out late cutting to gully, done it so many times... Almost got out of the habit now but still do it occasionally.

Of course it makes sense to look at the field and try to play your shots accordingly, but I think with the current state of the batting means that gets exaggerated to 'what are my one or two safe shots?' and I just block or leave the ones I can't get into those areas.

Yeah, the argument could be made that I shouldn't have cut with fielders there.

As you say, though, that ends up meaning there's only a couple of shots available to play. I'm nervous about blocking, though, because of how often I edge it on to my stumps (or to the keeper) - and find it frustrating that I _know_ (from the nets) that edges occur even with ideal timing.

It means the risk/reward ratio for defensive shots isn't high enough to make them worth playing, most of the time (and IMO, of course)

Yeah, the argument could be made that I shouldn't have cut with fielders there.

As you say, though, that ends up meaning there's only a couple of shots available to play. I'm nervous about blocking, though, because of how often I edge it on to my stumps (or to the keeper) - and find it frustrating that I _know_ (from the nets) that edges occur even with ideal timing.

It means the risk/reward ratio for defensive shots isn't high enough to make them worth playing, most of the time (and IMO, of course)

Not just me then - I find defensive shots harder to play than attacking shots so basically don't use them which cannot be right

I recall Ross stating they didn't want defensive shots to be too easy to avoid you easily playing out for draws in tests/first class games etc but the balance isn't quite right for me at least.

I definitely find defensives easier than attacking shots but I do find them a bit prone to edges on legend. I'm not sure I would reduce my caught behind dismissals if I elected to defend more regularly.

I definitely find defensives easier than attacking shots but I do find them a bit prone to edges on legend. I'm not sure I would reduce my caught behind dismissals if I elected to defend more regularly.

I'm playing my career on pro and tend to get edges a lot against spin when defending.

Well the general advice from players here is to defend to the legside. I find this seems to assist against spin, though I'm less sure vs pace.

@HBK619,
I play career mode and casual matches on Legend and the pull & cut shots are hit in the air irrespective of batsman's skill or confidence level. These two shots are the biggest culprit IMO and if you are able to get the standard pull & cut shots to be played along the ground, it will go a long way in addressing the batting issues.

It doesn't matter whether you time the ball perfectly or play a poorly timed one. Pull/Hook & Cut shots always go in the air. I can understand if the ball goes in the air if you try to play aggressive shots (with L2 or L2 & R2 triggers) but post patch 2, standard pull/hook & cut shots go in the air at a catchable height. All you have to do is to bowl short of length deliveries on the leg side, preferably from round the wicket, and you are bound to take a wicket soon if you have fielders on the leg side the circle.

P.S. - It almost looks like DBC 14 was modeled on English batsmen facing short pitched stuff :p

Users who are viewing this thread