Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

Well the general advice from players here is to defend to the legside. I find this seems to assist against spin, though I'm less sure vs pace.

in real life the best strategy against spinners is dance down and play a grond shot..

@grkrama : Add Pull ,leg glance and Pull shots videos as well...Will explain the problem very well....
here AI cuts n pull Vs human cuts n pull

AI CUTS N PULL

HUMAN CUTS N PULL

For AI drives vs Human Drives check this post
Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives | PlanetCricket
might as well as add it here too

AI DRIVES

The main thing is when we play, the ball never ever ever ever touches the pitch for pure drives like how it touches in shots above for AI, instead always glides over the pitch however low or high it is, can ross or hbk shed some light on that, is it intended to be like that for players or how?
PLAYER DRIVES

Basically ALL NON TRIGGER SHOTS needs to be cured of uppism, each person is affected by uppism in their own way for me its drives that irk, for some one else its cuts and pull, it varies depending on the player play style but the common point is all non trigger shots are not playing as they should be and they are having too much air when played, whereas the AI is able to play the same shots along the ground and like its meant to be played.The best reference point for how the shots are meant to look like is AI itself which is really great as it means its all possible in the game.
@HBK619 @BigAntStudios On the whole all non trigger shots need fixing and tweaking from drives, cuts and pull.

You guys need to fix it in terms of how the shots play in real life instead of trying to make it more friendly to score, cause scoring we can do even now but its getting the feel of the shots like real shots that will really enhance the game a lot.

Last edited:
Great Post Grkrama

Now its there for all to see and make what they want with it. Would be great if you could do the same for the glitchyness , when Umpire signals 4 on the PS3 .

What system are you on ?

@grkrama, pretty good videos but would be great if you can post a couple of videos showing human/user getting caught by playing hook/pull & cut shots. I have lost count of the no. of times I have been caught by Forward Square Leg or Square Leg despite hitting a well timed pull/hook shot. Maybe the clip showing Fwd Square Leg nonchalantly plucking a well timed pull shot with one hand would do the job. As for cut, I have given up playing the shot.

@HBK619 @BigAntStudios On the whole all non trigger shots need fixing and tweaking from drives, cuts and pull.

You guys need to fix it in terms of how the shots play in real life instead of trying to make it more friendly to score, cause scoring we can do even now but its getting the feel of the shots like real shots that will really enhance the game a lot.

Spot on with why tweaking is required..:thumbs

Not just me then - I find defensive shots harder to play than attacking shots so basically don't use them which cannot be right

I recall Ross stating they didn't want defensive shots to be too easy to avoid you easily playing out for draws in tests/first class games etc but the balance isn't quite right for me at least.

I find I get out defending more often than attacking, so I don't defend anymore. This surely shouldn't be right. I'd love to play a test match and have to battle through tough periods defending mostly. This needs seriously looking at for me.

We can do a bit of a test on this if some people here are willing to spend a few career mode innings playing nothing but defensive shots to see how long they can hold out for.

A recognised batsman should find a pure defensive stroke reasonably straightforward and low risk. If you nick off then it's either a really good delivery with late movement or you've badly messed up the shot.

What system are you on ?
Im on PC, the video is edited to reduce size, so it may look like its stuttering at frames.
@grkrama, pretty good videos but would be great if you can post a couple of videos showing human/user getting caught by playing hook/pull & cut shots.
ok will try that.

We can do a bit of a test on this if some people here are willing to spend a few career mode innings playing nothing but defensive shots to see how long they can hold out for.

My career batsman is on pro now so cant test with him.

Did try a blockathon on veteran with IND Vs WI

and i can say i can hold it out.
attachment.php

The key to blocking, is CallyT gave me this tip, shot direction at 11-12
It works really well, the other thing is you can afford to play a bit late for defensive shots, as long as footwork is correct it should good.

Attachments

• blockathon.png
    blockathon.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 70
Im on PC, the video is edited to reduce size, so it may look like its stuttering at frames.

ok will try that.

My career batsman is on pro now so cant test with him.

Did try a blockathon on veteran with IND Vs WI

and i can say i can hold it out.
attachment.php

The key to blocking, is CallyT gave me this tip, shot direction at 11-12
It works really well, the other thing is you can afford to play a bit late for defensive shots, as long as footwork is correct it should good.

The real question is if you can last out the match.

The real question is if you can last out the match.
was bored by this itself,but i have effectively used blocking many times.
these are some of my earlier matches at veteran.
127179d1404918538-match-tour-competition-experiences-sc1.jpg

127924d1405880615-match-tour-competition-experiences-indvseng.png

In the second card most of my edges were due to shots(mostly cover drives to outswingers) rather than blocking, was at the safest while blocking.

It is a very large problem imo. There many parts of this game significantly lacking in balance. In essence, you cannot play a shot along the ground. That's a big statement but for many shots it's true. I can't recall a single straight drive I've played that hasn't been dropped (or occasionally caught) by the bowler. C'est tr?s frustrant :(

Hopefully some balancing comes in the next edition. I'm not too sure about the next patch. I can't imagine anything major since it's been a while since release and the company has probably moved onto other things (another AFL game pleaseeee).

I think our best hope for getting these things fixed is if a lot of effort is put into the next gen release, and those improvements (at least the non-graphical ones) make it to the current platforms.

I think our best hope for getting these things fixed is if a lot of effort is put into the next gen release, and those improvements (at least the non-graphical ones) make it to the current platforms.

Or we can find out which files do what and adjust them as we have done with previous games. I actually wrote "tweak them" then realised people might think I meant something else!!!

HBK everyone is spot on about drives and cuts and pulls, number one headache is the pull shot as sometimes it feels like lucky if you hit away from the fielder.

The leg glance is fine and yeah maybe the defense shots needs a tweak but if we get more edges to slips in patch 3 then this problem could be sorted out. 9.5/10 if you edge behind in the air you are out as simple as that. If you miss time a normal shot sure getting out at squire leg is fine but like 4 or 5 times a inns is just not right. Reason why sometimes i just defend the short ones.

I would love to see a reason why a third man area is used more and not just for the late cut.

Yes, be interesting to see what patch 3 brings and beyond.

No doubt someone somewhere will eventually get access to certain gameplay files if BA don't make them available first

How BA would feel about that is a different matter

Users who are viewing this thread