Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

Or we can find out which files do what and adjust them as we have done with previous games. I actually wrote "tweak them" then realised people might think I meant something else!!!

I don't thing Ross wants that part of the game touched by anyone outside of Bigant.

The leg glance is fine

A few people have said this and I'm a bit puzzled as to why they're not having a problem. It's invariably going in the air to the inner ring for me just like the other shots, and gkrama's video above shows a leg glance like that.

Yes, be interesting to see what patch 3 brings and beyond.

No doubt someone somewhere will eventually get access to certain gameplay files if BA don't make them available first

How BA would feel about that is a different matter

Patch 3 is going to be a while away being the Xbox problem is still around but if they test it with key players on here like before then great times ahead. PS They also need to be careful not to make the game to easy or back to the start again. Still a special thanks to bigant as they are legends:clap, you have to ask yourself if you owned Bigant would you put this much effort in or just move to game two.

----------

A few people have said this and I'm a bit puzzled as to why they're not having a problem. It's invariably going in the air to the inner ring for me just like the other shots, and gkrama's video above shows a leg glance like that.

I still get out to squire leg too and down the legside also but the amount of shots and outs is small against the pull shot.

I haven't been on the forum much since the release of patch 2 so I am relieved to see that it isn't just me that can't keep the ball on the ground with no-trigger shots. It is driving me crazy and I came to the forum out of desperation to see if anything is going to be done about it. I really hope so...

I still get out to squire leg too and down the legside also but the amount of shots and outs is small against the pull shot.

I guess you just tend to miss the man with the leg glance. I tend to miss the man with the pull quite a lot and it's scored me quite a lot of runs.

The important point is that there doesn't seem to be a way of getting a good strike with either shot reliably to ground within the ring, and unlike the pull shot which frequently goes in the air in real life, the leg glance is a grounded shot by design and keeping leg glances mostly on the floor is a basic batting skill.

I guess you just tend to miss the man with the leg glance. I tend to miss the man with the pull quite a lot and it's scored me quite a lot of runs.

The important point is that there doesn't seem to be a way of getting a good strike with either shot reliably to ground within the ring, and unlike the pull shot which frequently goes in the air in real life, the leg glance is a grounded shot by design and keeping leg glances mostly on the floor is a basic batting skill.

wrt the leg glance - I think what most people are saying is that it's a marked improvement to pre-patch where you would nail it in the air out to the superman fielder on the boundary. You are right though, it does travel uppishly to around the edge of the circle.

Couple of thoughts -

1) I agree that the cuts and pulls are too aerial, but I know peronally I tend to prem-meditate everything on the front foot. So I'm personally happy for front foot pull and cut shots off short or just short of a length deliveries to continue to go in the air as that's just a punishment for my error in footwork.

2) I agree that all shots (including drives) are hit too uppishly. People might worry that making it easier to hit the ball along the ground will make batting too easy but I think that if BA balances this with an increase in edge frequency and variety. You'd have fewer catches in the outfield and more in the cordon which is what everyone's ben asking for right?

PS - thought I'd achieved the holy grail last night of a perfectly timed off drive all along the ground for 4 (no mid off in place). Checked the replay - nope; ball travelled about 6 inches off the ground all the way to the edge of the circle before landing and rolling the rest of the way...

wrt the leg glance - I think what most people are saying is that it's a marked improvement to pre-patch where you would nail it in the air out to the superman fielder on the boundary. You are right though, it does travel uppishly to around the edge of the circle.

Couple of thoughts -

1) I agree that the cuts and pulls are too aerial, but I know peronally I tend to prem-meditate everything on the front foot. So I'm personally happy for front foot pull and cut shots off short or just short of a length deliveries to continue to go in the air as that's just a punishment for my error in footwork.

2) I agree that all shots (including drives) are hit too uppishly. People might worry that making it easier to hit the ball along the ground will make batting too easy but I think that if BA balances this with an increase in edge frequency and variety. You'd have fewer catches in the outfield and more in the cordon which is what everyone's ben asking for right?

PS - thought I'd achieved the holy grail last night of a perfectly timed off drive all along the ground for 4 (no mid off in place). Checked the replay - nope; ball travelled about 6 inches off the ground all the way to the edge of the circle before landing and rolling the rest of the way...

There are just about enough human edges (suggesting that there's nothing wrong with the physics for it), the issue is the AI edges. As the AI seemingly plays by another set of rules in terms of shots going along the ground I don't really think suggesting such a physics change is particularly helpful.

Leg glance does go in the air and is generally caught at leg gully but it's still a huge improvement to the shot pre-patch 2. Also, hook/pull & cut shots are bigger issues as they invariably go in the air and get you out - definitely much more than leg glance or cover drive.

There are just about enough human edges (suggesting that there's nothing wrong with the physics for it), the issue is the AI edges. As the AI seemingly plays by another set of rules in terms of shots going along the ground I don't really think suggesting such a physics change is particularly helpful.

I was referring to the variety of edges. I think there are just about the right number of caught behind dismissals (by the keeper). But I wouldn't mind seeing the dismissals from normal shots being lofted replaced by cateches to the rest of the cordon or genuine bat/pad chances.

I don't thing Ross wants that part of the game touched by anyone outside of Bigant.

Yep, @BigAntStudios hasn't confirmed whether they will be open to "gameplay" mods to the game. I don't think they will make the gameplay files accessible in the same way as "textures" files, but I will be happy to be proven wrong.

The shots just need a little tweak with pull/cut number one and two for me, w still needs all the shots to go in the air just less and only when we mistime or use triggers.:spy

----------

Yep, @BigAntStudios hasn't confirmed whether they will be open to "gameplay" mods to the game. I don't think they will make the gameplay files accessible in the same way as "textures" files, but I will be happy to be proven wrong.

My guess is Ross does not want to fix mistakes if people on here play with the files and also they are still busy making the game better and this will not finish anytime soon.

We can do a bit of a test on this if some people here are willing to spend a few career mode innings playing nothing but defensive shots to see how long they can hold out for.

A recognised batsman should find a pure defensive stroke reasonably straightforward and low risk. If you nick off then it's either a really good delivery with late movement or you've badly messed up the shot.

I've already tried it, prior to removing the patch.

What I found when defending is that instead of getting out for 10 - 30, I got out for 0.

Most often to fullish deliveries, heading down legside, that I either edged onto the stumps - or over and to the keeper.

I've actually got another "testing" career, where although it's a brand new career, the player is 26. I might try a "defend everything except stuff you can leave" approach there, see how long it is before I get out.

----------

Heh - I think for me it's a case of the leg glance being better post patch 2, rather than fine.

Without the patch, I found it literally impossible to keep it on the ground. With the patch I can keep it down if it's full enough ...

*edit* @HBK619: just came out of the nets, batting with my career guy against an off-spinning machine. I noticed that there's no appreciable difference (in the nets, at least) between ideal and late timing as far as the results of the shot go. Seems just as likely to get an edge off either ideal or late, and both ideal and late shots go aerially.

Last edited:
I hope BigAntStudios bring out a solution to this problem as early as possible. I used to play console Before the PC version came out. All no-aggressive trigger strokes were pretty fine, maybe except the leg glance which seemed to go in the air a bit too often. The pull and cut shots were amazing. It wasn't like pull/cut shots used to go along the ground every time. Plenty of time I've been caught on the legside as the ball went in the air off a pull/cut shot because the ball bounced higher than I expected. If the ball was chest high it always used to go along the ground. I used to pull confidently before the patch 2 and now I've to defend or leave bouncers which otherwise would've been dispatched for 4.

@BigAntStudios ross any updates regarding this, is this issue in bucket list or how?, please do let us know, appreciate you guys looking into this.
Ross is a bit silent regarding Patch#3 stuff...Maybe because of the response he gets when some problem occurs regardless of whose fault, he is the on who faces it...But discussing stuff that might be added would be good...We know that Co-op is there,other than that I dont know...

Users who are viewing this thread