Good Bye India.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ahh yeah, forgot the bowl out.

shravi added 3 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

From that group yes, but looking at the tournament as a whole, Pakistan is just not good enough to be amongst the top 4 teams at the moment. They lost more games than they won. Sure, they did enough to get through. I am not denying that. I just don't think they rank amongst the top 4 T20 teams at the moment. That's why I don't understand this thread. It's not as if Pakistan have been any better than India. They too got mauled by Australia and England, allowed Bangladesh back into the game and didn't seize the opportunities given to them in the New Zealand game.

Pakistani team always peaks towards the end of tournaments, just like we did last year. In this tournament Aus, Eng, and SL have been top 3. But who do you think is the 4th one? surely not India, SA, or WI. It's between Pak and NZ, and as I said again, it came down to who won when it mattered. It helped us that we only lost to NZ by 1 run, and the Eng game went till the final over.

ali_ed2001 added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

:laugh They won't lose to Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka came close to losing a few games last time they were there though

But India is sending their A team...so we could expect quite a few close games, hopefully ZIM can sneak a win!

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
But India is sending their A team...so we could expect quite a few close games, hopefully ZIM can sneak a win!

Underrate Zimbabwe at your own peril. They had some ridiculously close matches with Sri Lanka when the Lankans last toured. I think it'll be a closely fought series with some low totals. India's bowling is weaker than usual (if that is even possible :facepalm) so that should help them out a fair bit as batting is their weaker point.

Owzat

International Coach
The IPL (a useless competition with substandard bowlers and batsmen being battered around by stars in a ground that has a radius of no more than 60 metres) ended a grand total of 5 days before the WC, so exactly where are the BCCI's loyalties?

$$$$$$$

IPL is massively over-rated. One question immediately came to mind when I saw the Indian side for this competition was where is Tendulkar?

But it's not that unusual for sides to bomb out in such formats of a competition, both India and Pakistan did so in the proper limited over cricket World Cup last time, only takes ONE bad result or upset to do it. Looks like we're set fair for a Sri Lanka-Australia final

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I agree with most of your points, but not with your execution.

I think we went wrong in all departments, from the selection of our squad, to the selection of the team XI, to our batting line-up, to the bowlers we chose to bowl at the time we did. Dhoni can be blamed for much of this, but he can't be blamed for the poor bowling. I'm sure Dhoni didn't ask our bowlers to bowl as many long hops as they did in this tournament.

Fatigue is one thing--the IPL being as long as it is. It's supposed to get even longer, right, with 2 more teams added? But reading Sidharth Monga's article, it appears that we don't just prioritize this tournament at all. We just kinda show up and see how it goes. When we won back in 2007, the tournament actually meant something to us because we had been knocked out by Bangladesh in the World Cup earlier that year. We, along with Pakistan, were playing for pride. The last two editions of the tournament have seemed like a postseason for the IPL and our players just don't have the intensity or desire.

This is not squarely fatigue, though... well perhaps mental fatigue. For example, when Dinesh Karthik strode out to bat against Sri Lanka yesterday, you could see a stark contrast between his body language and that of most of the rest of the team. He was playing with intensity... like he wanted to win. The others were just kind of going through the motions. This was evident later in the day when Karthik pulled off a nice, flying stop at the boundary to prevent a four. Comparatively Yuvraj, Raina and Yusuf all had simple fumbles and misfields that led to runs.

We can take solace in the fact that we've still got a good Test batting line-up that should keep us competitive in most series'. However, once Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman begin their retirement cycle, will the newcomers be able to come in and play with an intensity even when they're playing away from home? It took the Indian team with Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman almost a decade before they got comfortable playing outside the subcontinent. We cannot afford the same incubation period, with all the top Test teams so closely bunched with each other.

The need to produce a decent fast bowler is a problem that we haven't been able to solve frequently enough to suggest that it just may be a physiological disadvantage we have. Changing the pitches may help encourage kids to become fast bowlers, but can the public really stomach the home series' losses that are bound to follow immediately after? I doubt it, very much.

In conclusion, this was a pretty apathetic outing by the Indian team, and ironically, I hope it was because of the IPL. Because there is not going to be any IPL before the Australian and South African tours this year so hopefully we'll be able to concentrate on the game better.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
India lost due to too much confidence in their batting and their belief that bowling is not at all important in T20. India need to find a few good fast bowlers and they better not be prasad or Parveen kumar clones.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
India lost due to too much confidence in their batting and their belief that bowling is not at all important in T20. India need to find a few good fast bowlers and they better not be prasad or Parveen kumar clones.
We've needed to find a few fast bowlers for the entire history of our cricket team. We should probably stop holding out for them and building a contingency plan.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India do not have to find any good bowler, they must keep one fact in mind that not every player in cricket is an all rounder and never try to ruin players.
I personally like many bowlers in last few years from them but too much over hype, try to become an all rounder, very very poor pitches and almost not more then 5% experience in away matches ruin them.
Example are always here, Irfan for me was a diamond but you in the end convert this diamond into a mere crystal, RP Singh was very good with his in the air and late swing but it seems like no body was their to guide him.Ishant was another example when he was out of form instead of helping him out BCCI through him out.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
We've needed to find a few fast bowlers for the entire history of our cricket team. We should probably stop holding out for them and building a contingency plan.

I though you found a great quickie in Ishant who could touch 150 KPH. I am very saddened to see his pace and resultantly his career plummet under the able coaching of Mr Venkatesh Prasad. India need to hire a genuine quickie as their bowling coach. May be get Donald in. He should gel good with Kirsten.

blake

School Cricketer
BTW, while you're at it, make a thread for the disgrace that is the Pakistan cricket team. A disgrace to your nation and a disgrace to the game of cricket. Atrocious fielding, senseless batting, idiotic captaincy, outrageous acts on and off the cricketing field, a complete lack of team spirit. I could go on and on.

Can't take a bit of criticism Shravi? We have to come on here and consistently listen to you lot, and then when somebody posts something against the Indians you result in taking a cheap shot at their home country?

Pakistan are in the semis. India aren't. You can't get much plainer than that.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Can't take a bit of criticism Shravi? We have to come on here and consistently listen to you lot, and then when somebody posts something against the Indians you result in taking a cheap shot at their home country?

Pakistan are in the semis. India aren't. You can't get much plainer than that.
Yeah and no one's denying that. I personally felt that India didn't deserve a backdoor entry into the semis from that SL match, with our ridiculous bowling attack (They call this an attack?). But shravi's post rather refers to the fact that how the original post was rather a rant at the IPL and other things than this WC.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Hehehehe, so it's not just me that thinks that about Dhoni. I wouldn't call him a pussy tbf but I do agree he picks and chooses far too often when to come in.

Love the rant though :)

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Dhoni and Kris Srikanth's Idly Sambhar formula is ruling Cricket in India along with Wada Pav of Sarad Pawar.

Until this ends, India won't win any World Cup.

No offence to any Tamilians- Maharastrians, except Kris Srikanth and players who are getting the advantage.:)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
It's 2010 and I think India are still facing the same issues:

1. Unable to play pull shots well on bouncy and fast wickets
2. Struggling in major events (even though I personally do not consider any T20 event as that)
3. Lack of genuine fast bowlers
4. The BCCI is still the epicenter of world corruption.

Having said this, the first post in this thread was a bit hilarious to read. Apart from England and Australia, none of the other teams have been convincing in this tournament.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
TBF, at least they won a game in the Super 8's....

Both India and Pakistan only beat SA in this tournament. The fact that Pakistan got to play SA in the Super 8s got them through. While we are at it, SA were pathetic as well. I don`t think any team has looked good in this tournament, bar Australia and England.

Users who are viewing this thread