Half Life 2 SDK released - A cricket mod. Please read if interested

Salman1k

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Okay guys, Valve released the Half Life 2 software development kit today. The first thing that came to my mind was being able to create a cricket game, both single and multiplayer (I prefer multiplayer since we can all play online).

Many will question weather it can be done or not? Well in theory you can do it. The SDK is quite powerful as I have tinkering with it. If you have been playing half life 2 like myself you know the physics engine is great and could be utilized in such a mod. Has someone tried something similar? Yes... International Soccer online for the original half life (http://www.planethalflife.com/ios/) . Check out the site, they have ongoing leagues all time. I believe this project can come to fruition if we have a good dedicated team. Sure it will take some time but we can take little steps. If your interested please let me know, however keep in mind that you will need the following:

1.) A legal copy of half life 2 (your illegal copy will stop working as they use steam to verify anything anyways)
2.) Download the SDK via steam.
3.) Microsoft C++ .net ( you dont have to have this but this is how to compile everything)
4.) Reading -- there is tons of documentation available on the SDK, we will have to plenty of reading here!

Start small:
1.) Model the stadium and ground textures
2.) Model and motion ( you can create/edit motions in the SDK I believe) a batsmen and a bowler)
3.) Use the physics engine to model a ball at a different velocities interacting with a pitch condition and bat to ball physics.
4.) Since its a multiplayer initally at the start if we can do the 3 things mentioned above we play a basic game of batsmen vs bowler online. We can go as far as we want with it after that ( i.e all players, kits, commentary, tournaments, single player version etc)

Thanks

Salman1k

i am currently downloading SDK as i am interested in creating a new cricket game, where should i start any help would be greatly appreciated

I think this has to be a team work.We can create planet cricket's cricket 2005.

But I don't have HL2.

i dont have Half Life 2 either, ive had a quick play with the SDK and cant make head nor tail of it so im stuffed at the minute

You must know basics of 3d modeling.Must have worked in somthing like 3ds Max before.

How big is the SDK?(setup file in MB)

I have about an years experience in modelling in 3ds max 5, would it help?

I think the SDK is only like 30 megabytes. Understanding the workings of the SDK will require lots of reading as I mentioned before. We need all the help we can get!

Users who are viewing this thread