Harbhajan cleared of racism charges

to be honest calling someona a monkey isnt that bad there are a lot worse like jade goody with her shilpa poppadom

So i suppose players can go out and be racist towards each other now...

As long as more than 5 of the opposing team players dont hear, nor the umpires.

Stop polluting the argument with your bias. You cannot prove someone guilty without solid evidence. As I've said over and over again, it's far better to let a guilty man go free than wrongly convict an innocent man.

I think I am going to have to agree with sohum here. It is time everyone moved on. There are always going to be people who feel strongly about this issue, but hopefully we can all settle down, enjoy the ODI series and not post comments which will cause people to react.

Obviously, had the shoe been on the other foot in this case then the BCCI would not stop until Symonds had been punished immeasurably. But because the BCCI practically control the ICC, it was inevitable that Bhaji was going to get let off the hook.

Obviously, had the shoe been on the other foot in this case then the BCCI would not stop until Symonds had been punished immeasurably. But because the BCCI practically control the ICC, it was inevitable that Bhaji was going to get let off the hook.

The BCCI have never enforced a racist charge in my memory. They are a powerful board, but they are not merciless tyrants.

But they control the ICC. And had Symonds been accused of calling Bhaji a monkey then you can guarantee that there would be uproar.

But they control the ICC. And had Symonds been accused of calling Bhaji a monkey then you can guarantee that there would be uproar.

No there wouldn't. Monkey is such a casual term in India that you do not understand. Dilip Vengsarkar (chairman of selectors) is known as monkey man, for example. This is not the point though, India, nor the BCCI do not have a record of reporting incidents to the ICC.

As much I want to respond to that, I think for the good of PC i'll let this one slide.

As much I want to respond to that, I think for the good of PC i'll let this one slide.

I understand the integration of cultures and the whole issue in India with the monkey impersonations, you do not have to treat me like an ignorant child. By the way, you did reply (didn't 'let it slide), because you want to seem as the moral superior. I do not criticise such a notion, but don't think I did not notice it. But I agree that we should let the particular issue of to monkey or not monkey go.

Hypothetical statements are not fact, and should not be taken as such. You cannot say what would have happened in a reversed situation. With that said, the BCCI does have a lot of power in the ICC; yet, they did not push for a punishment on Hogg-out of good faith...they certainly aren't tyrants. That's all I can really say about that.

I can't say what is right and wrong; morality varies from person to person. But I can say that this is fair, especially as the decision was made in light of there being no AV proof against Bhajji. Bhajji confessed to making disparaging remarks, and that's all you can try and penalize him on.

No there wouldn't. Monkey is such a casual term in India that you do not understand. Dilip Vengsarkar (chairman of selectors) is known as monkey man, for example. This is not the point though, India, nor the BCCI do not have a record of reporting incidents to the ICC.

But the context it is used in would cause an uproar. After he called Symonds a monkey, Hayden came up and told him he shouldn't be using that word, and then his response was "But he started it". That's enough to say the context he used it in was nonetheless offensive.

Even after the press conference with Kumble, he seemed to be relieved that all he got was a 50% fine after the evidence they had found.

What would happen if it was said again? You would assume either team would not be taking it lightly at all.

But the context it is used in would cause an uproar. After he called Symonds a monkey, Hayden came up and told him he shouldn't be using that word, and then his response was "But he started it". That's enough to say the context he used it in was nonetheless offensive.

My comment was made in a slightly different context and me and Evo have agreed to let it go.

Good that Harbhajan has been relieved of the racism charges. The audio evidence doesnt have him say the word "monkey". It seems he admitted calling Symonds "maa ki..." (a derogatory Hindi abusive word) and Hansen got the meaning of that word from Tendulkar and then let Harbhajan off with the fine instead of the ban for racist remarks.

I support Arjuna Ranatunga's call for a ban on sledging. Harbhajan is not a fool to just go there to Symonds and call him a monkey. The provocation (sledge) from Symonds has prompted Harbhajan to defend himself and he has uttered the abusive Hindi word. If you have to cure the root cause for all this, then you have to take a stand on sledging. These Australians have been doing it all these years, and they cant stand it when the others get back at him and then they cry foul. If I was in Harbhajan's place, I would have used far more abusive words that what he had used in retaliation

Users who are viewing this thread