How are you going in Ashes Cricket 2009?

Going to keep this brief as I'm in college atm.

Last night had a 50 over match I was England vs Pakistan, I batted first got 263/all out I think.

Bowling was real fun resembled Pakistan in real life, bowled Nazir second ball, then Younus and Akmal went on strong 70 odd for 1 was the score...after this a HUGE collapse got them all out for 108.

Swann got a 5fer and I got a fairly decent amount of edges, quite a few bowleds and infield/outfield catches...was good!

then Younus and Akmal went on strong 70 odd for 1 was the score...after this a HUGE collapse got them all out for 108.

I've noticed far too many AI collapses in ODI/T-20s when chasing large totals. Anyone else experienced otherwise?

I've noticed far too many AI collapses in ODI/T-20s when chasing large totals. Anyone else experienced otherwise?

Mhh not too sure yet, weird though because when bowling first it's mega hard to get these type of varied dismissals. Although I made 271 with England and got Aus all out for 201 in a previous match.

...due to the AI bowling yorker after yorker .....
Seems to me every single cricket game resorts to that. Get's really dull and I hope someday we'll get a game where it doesn't happen.

Oh look, a flying pig!

During the closed beta we got to see quite a few of the game's internals, and one thing which was really good to see was a whole set of bowling tactics. There were scores of them, with all sorts of names like 'Yorkers', 'Edge to Slip', 'LBW', etc. so they've got a good grounding. What they need to work on for future versions is deciding when to employ them, and also making yorker tactics more risky for humans to try.

I think you have to look at the reason why a real bowler doesn't just bowl yorker after yorker after yorker, except at the end of an ODI innings, or at tailenders.

I think the reasoning is something along the lines of it being a very risky ball to bowl, because only a small change in placement makes it an easy ball to hit. Also, it will work better as a surprise. Finally, as you are aiming further up the pitch than with any other ball, it probably has the largest variation in where it will pitch, again making it more risky.

Currently, a yellow execution aimed at a hotspot will always result in a hotspot ball. I think that even if you get the execution perfect, there should be some variance in line/length to put that risk into bowling yorkers.

Yes, its always a problem when bowling, that the ball lands pretty much exactly where you aim for.

aussie1st, wot are your stats for paine because ive got some stats and they are really rubbish so if you could post them to me would be a help

WI v Ind (me) Day 1: one of the best recoveries I've seen from AI thanks to a superb knock by Chanderpaul. WI were 6 for 99 at one stage.

cricket2009200910082243.jpg

I have not played any test matches like completed them I mean. But the one time I did play one I was Pak against WI and I bowled first and they were I think 78/7 or more. I was getting bowleds, edges etc really bad batting. I couldn't finish the match as I had to reformat and didn't save any of the files.

During the closed beta we got to see quite a few of the game's internals, and one thing which was really good to see was a whole set of bowling tactics. There were scores of them, with all sorts of names like 'Yorkers', 'Edge to Slip', 'LBW', etc. so they've got a good grounding. What they need to work on for future versions is deciding when to employ them, and also making yorker tactics more risky for humans to try

If these tactics are apparantly within the game, then how come the ai will just bowl short ball after short ball with the odd fuller one chucked in, the quick bowlers for example only appear to use 2 different tactics no matter which format of the game is being played

There is probably a short ball tactic, which the AI will try for an over or two. Plus, to say that there are only two tactics employed by the AI is plain wrong.

Thank god that atleast in Ashes09 Ishant is taking wickets :p:laugh

Tea at Lord's. Another 200 runs in the session. Looks like I still can't handle spinners. (I'm struggling to play front foot shots mostly) I'm guessing if Warne was in the squad it'd be different story scorecard wise ;)

Ste-rauss was going along at a run a ball and rapidly being caught by Pietersen.

tea2.jpg

tea1.jpg

tea3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm playing a 50 over game.
I'm batting for both teams as i hate the bowling because of AI slogging.
It's...
England V New Zealand [Auckland]

England Line-up: Strauss [C], Denly, Shah, Collingwood, Stokes, Prior [W/K], Wright, Broad, Swann, Onions, Anderson.

New Zealand Line-up: Ryder, McCullum, Guptill, Taylor, Broom, Oram, Franklin, Vettori, Patel, Mills, Butler.

England won the toss and decided to bat.

England 229/8 [41 overs]

Strauss [1]
Denly [68]
Shah [9]
Collingwood [32]
Stokes [54]
Prior [43]
Wright [6]
Broad [2]*
Swann [5]*
-------------
Onions
Anderson

Extras [9]

With 9 overs left England will hope to boost their score up to around 260 but Jeetan Patel took 3 quick wickets, those of Steven Stokes, Matt Prior and Luke Wright.

Users who are viewing this thread