How do people play the game? Game Modes

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
So, I feel like I'm at a bit of a cross roads at the moment. Figured I'd reach out to you fine folk for potential solutions/ideas. I'm new to Ashes/DBC, not new to cricket, or gaming.

I got this game about 3 weeks ago (Christmas, win!!). Since then, I've largely played test matches, various conditions and teams. Some games through to a conclusion, some just for sections to see how the sliders/modifiers affected the game, or to test difficulty settings. I've also played some T20 games and I'm generally happy there to.

So now.....what do I do?! I booted up a career mode this afternoon and played my first 3 day game as an all-rounder. It didn't draw me in at all (tiniest of sample sizes, I admit). Feels like it's going to a real grind through a lot of games to improve, and I wasn't a fan of playing in tiny stadiums with poor players. I'm usually a big fan of single player careers in sports games (I did 8 years of one in Madden, including write ups etc) but yeah, today didn't grab me one bit.

So, tours? I like the idea of playing an international calendar, tour X country, have Y country and Z country come to you etc, playing in different conditions on different pitches, that's awesome, but the lack of progression (no real form for players, no stats, no progression, retirement, new players coming through) series to series, tour to tour, year on year, also puts me off a bit. Perhaps that's something I could do myself?

So yeah, I feel like I've got Ashes set up right now, playing realistically, enjoyably, but now I've no idea what to do or how to play it :)

Suggestions, or descriptions of how you play are more than welcome

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
You can play career mode as a current international player. Maybe try picking your favourite and have a go at being them? Gives you the career mode flavour without having to start from square one.

EDIT: You can also choose to play as the entire team for each match. So if you, for example, picked Joe Root for England you would be able to choose the lineup and stuff each game and then play as the entire team throughout the career. Gives you more of a longer term thing than just playing a tour.

D

Dutch

I like organising my own leagues: I play a lot with the asscociate teams and set up a fantasy three tier ststem with promotion and relegations: each team
plays each other twice, home and away, at all three formats; twenty20, odi and first class (4 day match). I play as the Netherlands and Sim the rest. I have to of course do the promotions and relegations manually and it means having nine!!!! Saves going! I do write ups as well which adds interest for me....

Playcrick85

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
You can also create a custom player with decent ratings & add to International squad. Then start your career as that custom player. Once started you can try playing on difficulty levels that suits you.

Symbiot911

School Cricketer
I'm new to cricket games and I realise this is probably the wrong thread, but I'd just like to be able to bowl a ball that isn't a wide or gets smashed to all parts of the ground before I worry about custom players lol. It's the release using the right stick that's gets me. My first attempt at an ODI? England made around 480, (and I'd say about 300 of those runs were wides/no balls), and I was all out for under 50. Not much fun really. Do custom players make the game any easier? I'm just really struggling with the whole control system, especially with the bowling, and as you can see, batting isn't much better. I really want to enjoy this game but I'm not sure where to find any hints on the best way to go about it. Any help or suggestions on where I may find some good info would be much appreciated. I play on the xbox one. Cheers. :(

Last edited:

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
My way of extracting most fun out of DBC franchise and now from Ashes Cricket is to have a tour, a tournament and a career going on in parallel and I choose based on my mood on that day.

As I fancy bowling more than batting, I play tours in bowling friendly conditions with neutral teams, the ones I'm not attached to. I enjoy it more that way.

Whenever my dad visits, we start a T20 tournament, WCT20, IPL etc. and try to finish off as many 'fast' games batting from both sides chasing down totals. Heaps of fun in co-op.

Career gives a completely different sort of enjoyment where I play as an individual and not the whole team. Sort of, coming in to a situation and rescuing your team or building on the good work or finishing off a tight chase, whatever the situation might be. Very different from tours or team V team games.

And then my favourite mode - Casual with my real life club team taking on the mighty International teams. It is super fun especially when you've invested some time making the players, assigning them skills, attributes etc.

I'm thinking of taking my Club team on a tour to England. But gotta download the county teams first. Bless the good souls who create and share these with us.

So yeah, this game offers multiple ways to enjoy. I like to keep 'em all and choose the flavour of the day. ;)

D

Deleted member 185125

I'm new to cricket games and I realise this is probably the wrong thread, but I'd just like to be able to bowl a ball that isn't a wide or gets smashed to all parts of the ground before I worry about custom players lol. It's the release using the right stick that's gets me. My first attempt at an ODI? England made around 480, (and I'd say about 300 of those runs were wides/no balls), and I was all out for under 50. Not much fun really. Do custom players make the game any easier? I'm just really struggling with the whole control system, especially with the bowling, and as you can see, batting isn't much better. I really want to enjoy this game but I'm not sure where to find any hints on the best way to go about it. Any help or suggestions on where I may find some good info would be much appreciated. I play on the xbox one. Cheers. :(
Probably you can start with Standard Controls for both batting and bowling, if not already. Also lower the difficulty to Easy for both. Going through the Training will also help. The classic controls does takes time getting used to.

CornishCricketer

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Scotland
I've actually made the ICC Intercontinental Cup in competition mode as close to as realistic as I can, so I'm going to play through that. Career mode is alright but until I have all the teams licensed and correct it's on hold because I am at the point where I am getting offers to play overseas in countries that haven't been corrected in the academy yet (Great job everyone that's working on it, you're amazing). So I've toured Sri Lanka with Zimbabwe in the mean time and now I'm onto the Intercontinental Cup with Scotland in an attempt to win it with them, so I play a variety of modes but for now I'm in competition mode.

Part-Time Jaffa

School Cricketer
Two Day Test Cricket

80 overs per day
x2) 2hr40min sesh
Compulsory closure at 40 overs
5 wickets per innings
8 ball overs
Unlimited bouncers
Max behind square 3
New Ball at 32 overs
DRS off
Follow on if trailing by 100

Just a shortened form I have made up. Worth a try as you still have time to shape some good contests and still use simulate.
I mainly pick both sides with 2 less Batters and bring in an all rounder or bowler at 6.
Or, I make it so each batter can only bat once in a test, unless they are not out in the first innings then they can carry their bat through to the second dig. Makes you have to save Batsman for the 2nd inning and have more Bowlers getting a bat.

Edit - Alternatively, if you want 6 ball overs, 55 over compulsory closure with new ball at 40 works well.

I think it is extremely important to spend a lot of hours inside Cricket Academy to shape your game. Setting all keepers stats to 90+ in close, back, and keeping will dry up some sundries. Making fielders 80+ for infield makes it slightly better. Buffing bowlers and lowering batsman stats gets a far more rewarding game. 85+ bowlers at 60 and 70 odd rated batsman makes for a good game.

Last edited:

scampy

Club Captain
If you want to get your career player through club cricket more quickly then set the selection criteria to easiest in the options section.

By doing this you will have to play circa one season in English club cricket (for example) before you get picked up by the county side. At this point you can alter selection criteria back to normal or easy in order to slow your progression to the test arena.

mkstatto

School Cricketer
If you want to get your career player through club cricket more quickly then set the selection criteria to easiest in the options section.

By doing this you will have to play circa one season in English club cricket (for example) before you get picked up by the county side. At this point you can alter selection criteria back to normal or easy in order to slow your progression to the test arena.

I add on to that by simulating the club section of the career mode with easiest selection criteria. (The club bit doesn't float my boat until I get into a county side). Soon as it's into the county/ODI season in season two it plays alot better as you can translate it to a real team.

Added bonus is that you've got a big load of skill points to work with in moulding your custom player further.

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I love playing online despite the quitters and players who use players like Jonny Barstow and Alastair cook as there main strike bowlers,pathetic!

Reactions: Pat

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
For what it's worth, I took one of the first suggestions in this thread and went with a career as a new created player in the England team, but controlling the whole team.

Currently during day 1 at the GABBA, and my guy has already been and gone for 5 runs. No fairytale start for him!

Users who are viewing this thread