ICC Awards 2007

I thought the Test Team was pretty accurate.

Although, I would've had Hussey open the batting instead of Vaughan & would've batted Chanderpaul down at 6.

Vaughan on song, is a class act. A delight to watch, he has great record vs Australia and India. Only against New Zealand and South Africa does he have poor records imo, he can rectify that during 2008 as we play NZ Home and Away and RSA at Home. He's not in the same league as Ponting, Dravid, etc, but he is a blooming good player.

Vaughan on song, is a class act. A delight to watch, he has great record vs Australia and India. Only against New Zealand and South Africa does he have poor records imo, he can rectify that during 2008 as we play NZ Home and Away and RSA at Home. He's not in the same league as Ponting, Dravid, etc, but he is a blooming good player.

He hasn't been on song very much recently. Unlike Ponting. 2 years in a row. What a legend.

Vaughan averaged well over 50 in the 6 tests that he played this summer, 2 hundreds and a 50. The stats seem to suggest he was relatively on song. He had good enough stats to be in the squad imo. Although Chanderpaul was in immense form in the summer, maybe the team could have been shuffled to move Chanderpaul in instead of Vaughan. Chanderpaul was amazing in England, strange that he isnt in the test team.

He hasn't been on song very much recently. Unlike Ponting. 2 years in a row. What a legend.

He's been good this summer imo. Of course he's not in the same league as Ponting, but I don't think anyone is suggesting he is.

He hasn't been on song very much recently.
To be fair to him, he hasn't played much recently. He's looked in excellent form this summer and if he stays injury free he'll be a top class batsman again.

Anyway, watched this on Sky Sports the other day. I kinda struggle to see how Chanderpaul wasn't up for the Test player of the year. Tait deserved the emerging player of the year, Ponting for the captain was a no-brainer, as imo was Hayden for the ODI award, he's done exceptionally well to get his place back. 3rd year in the row for Taufel, there was no way Bucknor was going to win it after the World Cup final:p.

Ganguly not being in the ODI team just shows that SR is as important as the run tally in ODIs to the extent where the second leading run scorer (in not much time either) will not be picked for a world XI that I feel is the best available.

Ganguly not being in the ODI team just shows that SR is as important as the run tally in ODIs to the extent where the second leading run scorer (in not much time either) will not be picked for a world XI that I feel is the best available.
Ganguly wasn't one of the leading scorers in the judging period. He had a high average, but only about 650 runs and no centuries, which for a top order type, is something easily criticised. In fact, it's been 75 ODIs since Ganguly's last century and 99 since his last against a Test playing opponent. His fielding also does not favours.

Ganguly's numbers were 7/0 (50s/100s), with 655 runs at 59.55.

By comparison, reputed accumulator Jacques Kallis (7/2) did make it in with 1149 runs at an average of 60.47 and Chanderpaul (9/4) made 1261 at 57.32.

The dashers up the order included

Hayden
4/5, 1368 runs at 62.18
Tendulkar
7/2, 905 runs at 43.10
Ponting
10/3, 1185 runs at 51.52
Pietersen
5/2, 800 runs at 44.44

Pietersen might have been lucky.

I think it's worth sparing a thought for Chris Gayle whose 7 50s and 3 100s contributed to 1265 runs at 40.81. He, Hayden, Kallis, Tendulkar and Chanderpaul gathered 4 MotM awards each.

Yeh, KP may have been abit lucky to get in, but i think his centuries in the WC really helped with his inclusion. He did have a pretty poor odi series against India though, apart from the last innings. Ganguly didnt deserve to be in though, no centuries really puts a dampener on his chances. He is a quality player though.

The period of time for the awards is August 06-August 07 so his India series was I think completely out of the period.

Users who are viewing this thread