ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

Here you go, thats just a tweet but I am sure about this

m7gvbo.png

Many were never "on", many who don't use Twitter as a news source. :rolleyes

Mannnnnnnnnnn I've been away from cricket for so long so I'm not sure what teams I'd be picking for each side, which is what I normally do for such tournaments. In terms of who wins...I'm going for England, West Indies, SA or Pakistan, with Eng and SA being the big favourites. Might be the saffers time to stop choking.

Champions Trophy 2013 preview ? England

Article by Baiju Nair -

England has to be one of the favorites this year considering the fact that they are the hosts and the weather and pitch conditions should suit them. Moreover they posses one of the best balanced bowling units in the business with the likes of Anderson, Broad, Finn and Swann in their ranks. Anderson and Broad has just showed what sort of form they are in during the recently concluded test against New Zealand at Lords. Anderson would relish the early summer conditions which would perfectly suit his style of bowling and if the pace trio are on song and the batsmen also steps up England could finally get hold of the trophy which they missed winning in 2002 and 2004.

However, one major set back for the Poms is the absence of their premier batsman <atitle="Kevin Pietersen" href="http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/19296.html" target="_blank">Kevin Pietersen who has not yet fully recovered from the knee injury he picked up during the test series in New Zealand. His absence will surely put extra pressure on the likes of Eoin Morgan, Joe Root and Ravi Bopara in the England middle order. Ravi Bopara has got yet another chance to stake claim for a permanent spot in the squad. It would also interesting to see how Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann are going to perform after recovering from elbow surgeries recently.<spanid="more-4512"></span>

If England are going to open with Cook and Bell with Trott at 3, the absence of a power hitter at the top might hamper them in the Power Play overs. Joe Root has been a real find for England over the past year and fans will be no doubt looking forward to see his perform well in the tournament. Alastair Cook has had very good success at the top of the order since he has been appointed as the captain and would be the key to provide the side with good starts.

Players to watch out for :-?

James Anderson? :- The lynchpin of the England attack. Although he has not played a lot of ODIs for England of late (only 16 ODis since 01.01.2012) he remains the leader of their attack. The fact that the tournament is happening at the beginning of the English summer will make him more dangerous.

Joe Root :- Root has been a great find for England in the past year. People really noticed his composure while batting and he does have a good head on his young shoulders. Will be interesting to see how he steps up with Kevin Pietersen missing in the middle order.

Steven Finn :- Has been the strike bowler in ODIs for England for the past 18 months or so. He would be hoping to carry on the success in the Champion trophy as well.

Eoin Morgan?:- The key player in the England middle order especially because of the absence of Pietersen. A clinical finisher and one of the best in that role. Lot of big things will be expected from Morgan in this tournament.

Prediction :-? Has got the team and the conditions in their favour to reach the finals I guess?

Best result

Runners up in 2002 & 2004

Squad for Champions Trophy? *click on the player names to view their <atitle="ESPN Cricinfo" href="http://www.espncricinfo.com/" target="_blank">Cricinfo player profile

Find more articles at Cricket Talks.

More...

Australian 2013 ICC Champions Trophy SWOT analysis

Article by baggy_blogger -

With the Indian Premier League (IPL) coming to an end and the New Zealand tour to England well underway, the next big clash prior to the 2013 Ashes is the final addition of the ICC Champions Trophy. The tournament will no longer be hosted come the conclusion of it in England and the ICC World Test Championship will take over its place in the cricket calendar. We are the reigning champions with two titles to our name.

Most eyes will be on the Ashes squad, which I have reviewed, but I'd like to turn some attention to our limited overs squad that will be playing to ensure we hold onto the trophy.

The majority of the Australian cricketers playing in the Champions Trophy or Ashes series will be leaving Australia this weekend to get prepared for some action packed cricket in England over the next few months.
Below is our 15 man-squad for the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy.

My mate Baiju at Cricket Talks wrote a nice summary of our squad, sharing his outlook on our chances and also who he identifies to be our key players. Give his article a read via the following link.

I will be looking at a SWOT analysis regarding our team culture heading into this event and the individual players.

Strengths:

We go into the Champions Trophy as the title holders (2006 and 2009). Having said this, our limited overs side has seen dull patches over the last handful of seasons and a slip down the ranks since the limited overs series post the 2009 Ashes series, although we still have a good victory margin of 64% from 104 matches.

Fortunately we do still have some outstanding players and I'd like to identify these players as they stack up our strengths.

Shane Watson has hit form at the Indian Premier League (IPL) with 513 runs at 42.75, showing an improvement in his focus since dropping the vice-captaincy after the dreadful Border-Gavaskar series.

Watto was instrumental in our 2009 Champions Trophy victory as he scored centuries in both the semi-final and final, with a total of 266 runs from 5 matches at 88.33. A great turn around after a golden duck in the opening match against the West Indies.With his bowling duties slowly but surely returning he will take to the field as an all-rounder with runs behind him in a format of the limited overs nature. Confidence is key for him.

Adam Voges is set to play for Middlesex when Chris Rogers puts his Baggy Green cap back on for the Ashes. With experience in English conditions and a bizarre turn of fortune with his international opportunities after an excellent peak in form for the Western Warriors, Adam may end up being the glue in the squad, a role in void after Michael Hussey retired.

Huss has scored 732 runs at 56.30, clocking in 6 half-centuries from 16 innings in the IPL with a game to go. If you still miss seeing his name in our side, this may just add to it.

Alongside Adam, George Bailey will need to assist him in the middle order department, in order to ensure the strike is rotated and aggression can be brought to the front lines if needs be. It's something Huss could do on his lonesome, but together Bailey and Voges have the hitting power and experience to keep the core in tact whilst adapting to the game situation.

Phillip Hughes has made a reasonably steady start to his ODI career with 416 runs at 52.00 and two centuries to his name. Like a few of our other players, he has played limited overs cricket in England. A good start here will line up his self-belief for the Ashes.

Outside of this category is Michael Clarke. Although Clarkey's sublime form has been best kept for Test cricket in recent times, he never been a pushover in ODI cricket. He missed out on the last Champions Trophy as a result of injury, something he is trying to keep at bay. He's our best batsman and is likely to continue his job in the number four role. Given his experience, abilities and ambition taken from leadership responsibilities, you can't rule him out as the key player.

Bowling wise James Faulkner is close to being the leading wicket-taker for IPL 6 and is quickly building a case for himself. The English conditions will work in his favour with the white ball and the man can also bat a bit. He's our best grounded emerging all-rounder and if his recent performances are anything to go by, watch out for him in England!

Clint McKay won the ODI Player of the Year award at the Allan Border Medal Awards. He's got a silent-assassin nature about him. He takes the wickets and gets on with the job drawing little attention. Although he may need to find a few tricks beyond the slower ball for this tournament, overcast conditions in England ensure anything is possible and I reckon seeing him bowl in tandem with Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Johnson, Faulkner, even Watson, could be a real test for the opposition batsmen.

Weaknesses:

Although I perceive it as a threat given two of our opponents in the opening matches of our tournament, our batting against quality swing bowling hasn't been a battle to watch without biting your nails and clenching your fists in nervous anticipation.

Our bowling line-up doesn't boast much experience in the ranks though to serve as armour for our batsmen. In any major event, inexperience will be dubbed as a weakness, although I see this summer as the greatest opportunity in recent times for our bowling troops.

Given the lack of time this side has played cricket together as a distinct unit, it hardly boosts the concept of team unity which has been an issue for us for some time. The media took this to a new level after the homework ordeal in India. Sure, supporters from the other camp will understandably identify this as a weakness through a lack of unity heading into a major event, but once again it is an opportunity for us.

Read the rest of this article here.

After watching Pakistan play the last few series and the squ\ad for the Champions League. They are one of the weakest teams this tournament. Without the likes of Umar gul, younis khan; and Afridi (just his character on the feild wins games)

And that is why I am saying that group B is wide open and any 2 can make into semi finals. Pakistan has good bowling attack but they are inexperienced. Ireland today showed that by making even more runs than what Pakistan managed. Their batting is unpredictable so you never know when it will turn up.

Well if Watto continue to perform like this along with Faulkner and Johnson i am sure we will win the champions trophy McKay-Johnson-Starc-Watto-Faulkner/Maxwell/Marsh-Clarke all can bowl certainly we dont have a problem in bowling the thing that worries me is the batting Warner needs to perform now so as Bailey etc Hughes needs to perform consistently & Voges i am sure he will do a good job :)

Last edited:
Finally ,some much needed international cricketing action.

Any idea of the schedule of the practice games ?

The two teams likely to make it from Group B will be India and South Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread