ICC Champions Trophy 2017

Mark my word.. Shikhar Dhawan will open for India..
He comes under special reserved quota...

Anyways AUS and SAF are the 2 deserving team to play in the final..
If you're considering IPL, Dhawan is the second highest run scorer with 440 runs.

A bit disappointed Gambhir was not selected. Dhawan has also done well but I feel Gambhir should've got a chance. He is an experienced opener, and agressive, while Dhawan is much more conservitive in his batting, It is good to see a strong pace attack, Bhuvi will prosper in English conditions, Bumrah with his deadly yorkers, Umesh has bowled superbly in the home season and Shami is back. So high hopes in defending the trophy. India have to set aside SA and Pakistan.

The problem with England is that they have too many 'bits and pieces' players. Obviously depending how they choose their 11 they could get a good combination but I feel they are lacking too much in the bowling department

The problem with England is that they have too many 'bits and pieces' players. Obviously depending how they choose their 11 they could get a good combination but I feel they are lacking too much in the bowling department
Agree. Moeen Ali being the most prominent example.

Talking about the Pakistani lineup, I am afraid we can end up struggling with the right combination. A problem started way back since Waqar took up the head coach role. The germs are so much entrenched in there that we have little hopes with the new captain. Though He is energetic and fresh but I have my strong reservations with Mickey Arthur, Particularly what the management has done unfair with Sohail Khan. My highest reservations are with Akmal and Azhar Ali. Shehzad is still making his comeback and struggling for runs. Well who knows What happens.. Fingers crossed. Junaid and Aamir needs to fire up. Juniad inclusion against India is as important as this trophy. One can only pray that we play with the right combination right from the first match

Funny, because it felt like they had gained the "X" factor like last year (in ODI format)
England have a very strong chance of winning. They have a good batting lineup, they have good bowlers and nearly everyone can bat. Plus they have goodbench strength as well. The only problem is they have too many good players that are missing out on games that can give a headache to selectors. It is fairly difficult to pick a perfect XI based on the fact Bairstow is playing well, while Buttler is certain to play when you got another man in form. Moeen Ali has been in nearly every XI for England over the last few years, so it is difficult for the selectors to rule him out. Adil Rashid is keeping him out because of that 5-fer and scoring 39 in the last game. Moeen's chances seem unlikely and England have a tough call/calls to make.

England was never so strong since the beginning. The current England team is the best one in its long history. Surely one of the strongest contenders for the trophy.

PS: If someone can inform, Is this the last CT happening?

England has the highest chance of winning this.. There batting lineup is deadly as hell and they also have some good bowlers in Willey, Woakes and Jake Ball..

England has the highest chance of winning this.. There batting lineup is deadly as hell and they also have some good bowlers in Willey, Woakes and Jake Ball..

To be fair when your best bowlers consist of a guy who's played 8 ODIs and is going at nearly 6 an over it doesn't scream 'highest chance of winning'.

I still maintain Englands bowling line up isn't strong enough to warrant them being favourites. Reckon SA (we know how that goes) and Aus are favourites with England shortly behind

To be fair when your best bowlers consist of a guy who's played 8 ODIs and is going at nearly 6 an over it doesn't scream 'highest chance of winning'.

I still maintain England's bowling line up isn't strong enough to warrant them being favourites. Reckon SA (we know how that goes) and Aus are favourites with England shortly behind

So are you saying that England need to have experienced players in the bowling department in that case? I agree England's bowling attack is not so strong, but still strong considering they are playing against teams in their home conditions and England have stuck with these set of guys since the 2015 World Cup. Rather, their batting is the stronger suit, with their explosive batting lineup. Experience wouldn't matter in this case, as they have talented cricketers. Still, over the last few home summers, the bowling attack has done pretty well in my opinion. South Africa has a stronger attack and I think Australia's attack is just as good as England's. IMO, what England in the last few home summers makes them a strong team overall.

So are you saying that England need to have experienced players in the bowling department in that case? I agree England's bowling attack is not so strong, but still strong considering they are playing against teams in their home conditions and England have stuck with these set of guys since the 2015 World Cup. Rather, their batting is the stronger suit, with their explosive batting lineup. Experience wouldn't matter in this case, as they have talented cricketers. Still, over the last few home summers, the bowling attack has done pretty well in my opinion. South Africa has a stronger attack and I think Australia's attack is just as good as England's. IMO, what England in the last few home summers makes them a strong team overall.

No not at all. I'm saying that Ball is just starting his career and hasn't set the world alight. So if he's a reason as to why bowling is a strength then I don't think it is a strong part of the team. On England pitches the batsmen are going to dominate however because of this I think that the team that will win will do it because of their bowling. A good bowling attack can save you 20-50 runs which is the difference between 300 and 330. Add to that that if Smith, Kohli, AB, Amla etc. have to face average bowling then that's extra runs opposed to if they face Tahir or Starc. According to averages and economy Rashid will have figures of 1-56 (every second game 2 wickets) while Tahir will get 1-46 (every second game 2). Now I know this means very little but in theory if 10 runs that a bowler will 'save' compared to an average line up it reduces the runrate by 1 which plays a huge factor.

All of Englands attack average over 30 (besides Ball who averages 28) and although they are better then their stats suggest I don't think any of them are world class. I disagree about Australia, I think that a combo of Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Cummins etc. is a lot more threatening then England. I still think England is one of the favourites but I just can't see them winning unless a couple bowlers step up and perform above their level every game.

Users who are viewing this thread